yep 43 66.15%
nope 8 12.31%
who? 5 7.69%
option 4 9 13.85%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #16
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Lee Child is the male equivalent to Sophie Kinsella in my opinion....dick-lit?

All harmless frothy fun, but hardly literary genius (oh no now I'm a book snob!) and yes I have all his books on my Kindle for those 'don't have anything to read' moments.
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #17
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I read the first two reacher books, well the first 1 plus not yet finished the 2nd.

He must be a good action/adventure/thriller author, because I was grossed out by the way he chose to kill and threaten the victims in his books.

I found the plot of

Spoiler:
Reacher landing in a random small hick town and being accused of murder only to find out the victim was his brother.

to be a little too coincidental and his ability to cheat death all the time a bit too much, but it was a heart pounding read to say the least.

Thriller books are rarely my first pick though, but once in a while I don't mind reading one.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #18
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
to be a little too coincidental and his ability to cheat death all the time a bit too much
agreed, thus my "nope" vote.

it is too bad as some of the plot lines are interesting, but imo the Reacher character is just too over the top and removed from reality -- kind of a superman without the cape.

a hero with some chinks in their armor is more interesting to me.
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #19
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
Quote:
I read the first two reacher books, well the first 1 plus not yet finished the 2nd.

He must be a good action/adventure/thriller author, because I was grossed out by the way he chose to kill and threaten the victims in his books.

I found the plot of

Spoiler:
Reacher landing in a random small hick town and being accused of murder only to find out the victim was his brother.

to be a little too coincidental and his ability to cheat death all the time a bit too much, but it was a heart pounding read to say the least.

Thriller books are rarely my first pick though, but once in a while I don't mind reading one.
thats explained in his latest book, Tha Affair.
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #20
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

lol... seems like many here are ashamed to like his books.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #21
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard-boiled pat View Post
thats explained in his latest book, Tha Affair.
i'll put it on hold.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #22
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by captkjaneway View Post
Lee Child is the male equivalent to Sophie Kinsella in my opinion....dick-lit?
Umm..."Men's Adventure" is the established genre name you're looking for, perhaps?

But Jack Reacher books (judging by the one book I've read so far) are a step above the staples of that genre -- Mack Bolan, Remo Williams, etc -- in terms of story depth and literary sophistication.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #23
spindlegirl
Wizard

Next time I am in the mood for action/thriller, I may re-reserve the second book (Die trying) because even though I don't normally go for that brand of novel, I really found myself liking the Jack Reacher of the first couple of chapters when I read "Killing Floor".

I downloaded the sample free Epub that was in our library catalogue of The Affair, as well to see if I want to reserve the whole book.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #24
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
well, half a step maybe. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Umm..."Men's Adventure" is the established genre name you're looking for, perhaps?

But Jack Reacher books (judging by the one book I've read so far) are a step above the staples of that genre -- Mack Bolan, Remo Williams, etc -- in terms of story depth and literary sophistication.

ApK
No text, title says it all. Maybe I'm pithy but not profound.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #25
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist

Quote:
Next time I am in the mood for action/thriller, I may re-reserve the second book (Die trying) because even though I don't normally go for that brand of novel, I really found myself liking the Jack Reacher of the first couple of chapters when I read "Killing Floor".

I downloaded the sample free Epub that was in our library catalogue of The Affair, as well to see if I want to reserve the whole book.
try 'persuader' instead... a good page-turner
Old 08-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #26
spindlegirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard-boiled pat View Post
try 'persuader' instead... a good page-turner
Thanks! Now, is it important to read this series in order? If not, I won't have to worry about when I get it from the library.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #27
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Thanks! Now, is it important to read this series in order? If not, I won't have to worry about when I get it from the library.
Some books refer to stuff that occurred in previous books, but it's fairly minor. You can read in any order you want; I personally read in sequential order as it's my preference.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #28
spindlegirl
Wizard

Hmm I generally prefer in order too, but now I am curious and am putting Persuader at least on TBR.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #29
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist

Quote:
not really... some books are prequels, some follow a loose order. its all good.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #30
SuburbanSteve
Enthusiast
SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.SuburbanSteve is the One.

Device: Kindel Touch, Xoom 2
Reacher, a great character reminds me of Clint Eastwood without a gun, quiet keeps to himself but f**k with him at your own peril, easy reading.
SuburbanSteve is offline   Reply With Quote