Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-18-2024, 03:55 AM   #1
Lily2
Lily2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Boox Page and KOReader - restart from last opened book

Hi!
I recently bought a BOOX Page because my Kindle Paperwhite died.
I was able to get my book collection on it fine, and from recommendations installed KOReader as it shows the metadata as well and has some more settings about fonts etc.
So far Im very happy with it but there’s one thing that really annoys me:
Whenever I start it, I have to first start the KOReader app, and then flick through all my books, remember what I was reading, and find that one.

The kindle would just start automatically on the page I last had open.

I already set the shutdown time to be very long because if it doesn’t shut down it does start like I want it, but tbh that’s costing a lot of battery, and also I often don’t read for a day or two so it’s also kinda not useful.

Is there any way to make it auto-open the last app or to make the app open the last read book? Kinda like Windows Hibernate vs shutdown.
Lily2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 09:15 AM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
That's strange. I don't use KOReader, so I can't address it exactly.

Conceptually, there are two parts here which may to a lesser or greater extent be separate or merged.

The first part is the library that knows what books there are and when they were last read.

The second part is the reader that can display books.
It takes Intents (basically commands) like "open Jane Eyre" and does it.
Without a specific command it can ask the library what was the last page it was reading and go there.
The reader doesn't update anything when you turn a page (unless you use a Kindle and it's keeping track of EVERYTHING).
When you switch to another app or sleep it updates the database.

Can you see a list of your books and it's sorted by "Last read"?
Does it seem to track correctly?
Is there some option in KO reader that you don't have turned on?

I use my own library/reader and there are two icons, one for Library, one for Last read.
If I'm bouncing between books, I just need to go to Library (sorted by Last read) and click the second or third.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eyre.png
Views:	23
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	207697  

Last edited by Renate; 04-18-2024 at 09:22 AM.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2024, 11:39 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
KOReader on Android (eink Mars) and on Kobo Elipsa started at last page for me by default.
Some setting or something else messed up.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 10:13 PM   #4
winstonma
Zealot
winstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Onyx Boox Nova
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...31&postcount=2
winstonma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 06:14 AM   #5
Lily2

Thanks. I found it due to your hints
It it a bit different by now:
In the file browser, tap the top to open the menu, in the leftmost menu with the drawers icon, the last option reads „start with“ and here I could set „last file“.
Leaving this here if someone else is looking for the same

Now I wish I could also make it auto-open KO-Reader on boot, but I suppose that’s not as easy.
Advert
Old 04-19-2024, 07:36 AM   #6
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily2 View Post
Now I wish I could also make it auto-open KO-Reader on boot, but I suppose that’s not as easy.
KOReader is open source (isn't it?) You could make it start on BOOT_COMPLETED.
You could also install Tasker, but I dislike that.

But why are you booting it all the time?
I don't know what power consumption others have, but for me and my ereaders it's never a concern. I just let my devices sleep so that my book is there instantly when I open the cover.
Old 04-19-2024, 04:28 PM   #7
Lily2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
KOReader is open source (isn't it?) You could make it start on BOOT_COMPLETED.
You could also install Tasker, but I dislike that.

But why are you booting it all the time?
I don't know what power consumption others have, but for me and my ereaders it's never a concern. I just let my devices sleep so that my book is there instantly when I open the cover.
How would I do that?

Uhm the longest I can set the time for it to stay on is 24h. And I somehow often read only every second day (but then for long) so usually it has turned off by then.
Old 04-19-2024, 06:26 PM   #8
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily2 View Post
How would I do that?
Do you have ADB (or a terminal app) working?
Code:
$ settings list system | grep timeout
auto_poweroff_timeout=2147483647
low_power_work_timeout_key=-1
screen_off_timeout=300000
That first number may be big or simply -1
That third number is 5 minutes (300,000 milliseconds).

If you have a small first number, to set that it never shuts down:
Code:
$ settings put system auto_poweroff_timeout -1
Code:
 1 day   86400000
 2 day  172800000
 3 day  259200000
 7 day  604800000
14 day 1209600000

Last edited by Renate; 04-19-2024 at 06:32 PM.