Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-04-2017, 03:21 PM   #1
mcp000
mcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshesmcp000 can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: kobo
ONE - when it comes to waterproofness

hi there aura one owners

sooo... whats the experiences so far:

how waterproof do you find your one's? what did you do to them sa far?
what didnt you dare? how did they survive it? how and what did they not?

being trustworthy waterproof is the "most-wanted" for me when it comes
to new devices of whatsoever kind nowadays...
maybe im weird about it, but thats the only real USP of any importance to
me; thats why im asking (and after having my 3rd aura h2o already, after
wet deaths )

thanks for any informations

kind regards
mcp000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:04 PM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp000 View Post
(and after having my 3rd aura h2o already, after
wet deaths )
You answered your own question. Put it in a zip bag / waterproof case. Not sure if that works with the KA1 touchscreen.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2017, 11:12 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp000 View Post
hi there aura one owners

sooo... whats the experiences so far:

how waterproof do you find your one's? what did you do to them sa far?
what didnt you dare? how did they survive it? how and what did they not?

being trustworthy waterproof is the "most-wanted" for me when it comes
to new devices of whatsoever kind nowadays...
maybe im weird about it, but thats the only real USP of any importance to
me; thats why im asking (and after having my 3rd aura h2o already, after
wet deaths )
I did some limited testing on my KA1 (~60cm of water for a few minutes). Unlike the H2O where not properly closing the flap over the USB port/uSD Card slot, reset switch, etc. leaves it vulnerable, the KA1 is protected by an internal coating (check HZO's website for more on their process). I did ensure the USB port was dry before connecting it to the computer. After trying test cycles, I decided not to push my luck and am leaving further testing to happenstance.

There have been other reports from people about getting the KA1 wet and not suffering any ill consequences -- a couple dropped into the bathtub, one into a tub full of beer and ice while enjoying the Grey Cup (the KA1 survived, the cover did not).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:51 AM   #4
Desdinova
Eternal light
Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, Touch, H2O - now Aura One and Kindle Oasis 3
Mine feel in the bath when i was reading ... no issues at all
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:31 PM   #5
Polarpenguin
Groupie
Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS- T3S, Kobo aura H2O Kobo aura One Kobo libra
Frequently read in the shower with mine.
Polarpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2017, 03:25 PM   #6
pastaenthusiast
pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I tested mine out by dipping it in the bath when I first got it. I wanted to make sure that mine was actually waterproof. No issues here. I'm not going to attempt this again (on purpose) but I feel confident in the waterproofing and am comfortable reading in the hot tub, bath etc.
pastaenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:33 PM   #7
Serena
Zealot
Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mine was NOT waterproof. I used it in the hot tub on a cold day, and submersed the bottom inch to keep my fingers warm, about 10 minutes or so. The blue light no longer works.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:16 PM   #8
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
Mine was NOT waterproof. I used it in the hot tub on a cold day, and submersed the bottom inch to keep my fingers warm, about 10 minutes or so. The blue light no longer works.
Oh no

Does Kobo advertise a min/max temperature at all?

It doesn't seem likely that water would break just one set of LEDs, it would either short the whole thing out or not at all. But I don't know how it is all wired up.

Have you spoken to Kobo about this partial failure?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:05 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Does Kobo advertise a min/max temperature at all?
Temp or maybe the chemicals in the water? The user manual does say that if it gets wet with "Chlorinated water from a swimming pool" to "rinse it
with fresh water immediately and dry it before use".
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:17 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
Bad idea. My guess is that the heat from the water caused the problem. Yes, it's waterproof, but it's not temperature proof.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:37 PM   #11
Serena
Zealot
Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did rinse it afterwards. The temp is only 104 F. I'm going through their warranty service now, boy is that a fun experience 😕

Their ad says feel free to enjoy in the bath, and my bathwater is much hotter...

Found the temp limits for the device - 32 F to 113 F.

It's possible the failure wasn't from the water, it wasn't immediately after, it was the next day. But I won't take a chance with the next one.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Serena; 02-08-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote