Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
sjfwhite
Enthusiast
sjfwhite began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Apple iPad Mini 2
From Kobo to Kindle - content conversion

Hi folks - I bought a Kobo as an intro to eReaders having been a long time reader on Palm, Windows Mobile, and finally iPhone/Touch. I decided to give the Kobo to my son and buy a Kindle. Fortunately I only bought a couple of books for the Kobo (DRM protected epubs from Chapters/Indigo in Canada) and haven't started them yet. The rest of my library is handled by Calibre and I am not concerned about conversions from other formats. However, the DRM protected epubs are another matter. Is there a relatively painless way of stripping the DRM protection of these epubs so they can be read on the Kindle?

Thanks and hopefully my question is not verboten.
sjfwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
Chris Crouch
Enthusiast
Chris Crouch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3 & iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfwhite View Post
Is there a relatively painless way of stripping the DRM protection of these epubs so they can be read on the Kindle?
Yes.

Quote:
The question isn't ... but answering it is

Google is your friend. You can probably find some hints as to what to look for by searching the forums here.
Chris Crouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
You may find that someone who loves cabbages can help you. I would ask google where to find him. This drm is pretty "inept".

(There are restrictions on the level of information which can be given out on this topic. Users are not allowed to post links to DRM breaking scripts or how-tos.)
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
mcgriff
mcgriff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Deux
Cabbages are the bomb diddly.
mcgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
sjfwhite
Enthusiast
sjfwhite began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Apple iPad Mini 2
LOL - thanks everyone! Looking forward to getting my Kindle - hopefully it arrives today!
sjfwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfwhite View Post
Hi folks - I bought a Kobo as an intro to eReaders having been a long time reader on Palm, Windows Mobile, and finally iPhone/Touch. I decided to give the Kobo to my son and buy a Kindle. Fortunately I only bought a couple of books for the Kobo (DRM protected epubs from Chapters/Indigo in Canada) and haven't started them yet. The rest of my library is handled by Calibre and I am not concerned about conversions from other formats. However, the DRM protected epubs are another matter. Is there a relatively painless way of stripping the DRM protection of these epubs so they can be read on the Kindle?

Hopefully, your son will not get frustrated with all the nasty bugs in the Kobo reader and then decide to go postal on you. But if he does, it's your fault for getting him a Kobo instead of a Sony Reader PRS-900.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
Roy Hinkley
Roy Hinkley began at the beginning.

Device: none
Good luck on the Kindle. I've returned mine. The screen broke on the 1st one, and I paid $161 to have it replaced. They sent a refurb with scratches, dents and an earlier version. They replaced it n/c but when the screen broke on that one, they asked for $311 for a new one. This is over the course of 3 weeks. So, in the end I got a refund for the purchase but I did pay them $161 for a Kindle that I no longer have.

I like the Kobo but it does sound like there are some issues. For me, the sans-serif font is too narrow and I can't read it with the left-justification. But, that's only a personal preference after all.

I wouldn't recommend either one. I'm going to look at the Sony next. In all honesty, my 6-month old Aluratek (with LCD 5" screen) has been the best. It has better navigation than the Kindle, fits in my pocket, and is as sturdy as a rock!
Roy Hinkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:10 PM   #8
xnowimcoolx
Connoisseur
xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 2
Stripping the DRM from the epub kobo ebook and converting them to a kindle friendly version is easy. Getting it set up (on a mac) takes patience and some trial and error. As stated above Google is your friend, I learned everything I needed to know about how to from Google. Good luck.
xnowimcoolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:03 AM   #9
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Hinkley View Post
Good luck on the Kindle. I've returned mine. The screen broke on the 1st one, and I paid $161 to have it replaced. They sent a refurb with scratches, dents and an earlier version. They replaced it n/c but when the screen broke on that one, they asked for $311 for a new one. This is over the course of 3 weeks.
It's the same screen as every other ereader that uses eInk - only one plant makes them. Assuming he uses even slightly reasonable care in handling, he won't have a problem (and I doubt that an LCD screen would be much less fragile, although a folding netbook design would help on some issues).

For you, I would suggest you avoid all the eInk designs until they come out with a plastic version (which appears to be in the works), rather than the glass. That'll practically eliminate the problem of shattering on impact or with twisting. Or that you make the investment in a very sturdy case to protect the screen (and don't put it in a pocket or backpack).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #10
phant01
phant01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Paperwhite
Does Cabbages' scripts for B&N work on the Borders epubs?

tia, Phant01
phant01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #11
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by phant01 View Post
Does Cabbages' scripts for B&N work on the Borders epubs?

tia, Phant01
No, Borders and Barnes and Noble use two different types of DRM and there are "supposedly" scripts and Calibre plug-ins for each of them. The Calibre plug-ins are likely the easiest to use, once they are set up - at least that is the rumor

I've heard, that if a person were to Google a phrase like "Apprentice Alf Blog" then he or she might find the "Tools" that he or she needed there for download.

And wow, this is an old thread.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote