Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-24-2012, 03:28 AM   #1
guspasho
Connoisseur
guspasho began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
What collections do you have?

I'm wondering if there are more efficient and useful ways to sort books in to collections than what I thought of alone, and I'm curious what everyone else has come up with. Of course your collections are going to be specific to your library, but maybe your system has some particular insight.

I realize that collections are tags and try to take advantage of that, but some of my collections can have a few dozen books in them, especially if the category is broad enough.

Here's my system, though it needs work (hense the topic):

Chuck Palahniuk (12)
Classic Literature (31)
Conan (4)
Cthulhu Mythos (9)
David Eddings (15)
Dune (6)
Fantasy (90)
Humor (9)
J.K. Rowling (8)
The Malazan Book of the Fallen (9)
Middle-earth (6)
Modern Literature (18)
Moorcock (8)
Non-fiction (55)
Pulp Fiction (30)
Science (33)
Science Fiction (21)
The Wheel of Time (13)

I divide classical and modern lit somewhere in the 1950s. Hemingway is classical, Arthur Miller is modern. Pulp fiction encompasses stuff like Sherlock Holmes, the Cthulhu mythos books, Conan books, King Solomon's Mines, that sort of stuff, which I don't consider literature. I don't think literature and fiction are synonymous. Literature is important, the rest of fiction is just fun. (I'm not looking for an argument, I'm just saying that's how I do it.) Some collections are just sub-collections of Fantasy. And similarly, everything in science is also in non-fiction.

The whole setup seems kind of ramshackle to me. Have you put a lot of thought in to your collections? And what sorts of systems and rules did you come up with? I'd love to know. Thanks!
guspasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:59 AM   #2
Rakgi
Suikoden Star of Destiny
Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, IPad1, IPad Mini, Kindle 4, Kindle PW1, Kobo Mini
I usually put my books in broad genre collections with only a few exceptions like my Malory Towers Collection that have books from that series only. The more collections I have the more difficult it comes to manage for me hence I only have 10 collections on my Kindle.

Fantasy
Malory Towers
Sherlock Holmes/Arsène Lupin
Fantasy - Urban
Science Fiction
General
Samples
Fanfiction
Young Adult
Manga

Fantasy has everything fantasy that is not urban/paranormal or the basic swords and magic type of books, Arsène Lupin goes with Sherlock Holmes since to me they're mystery/detective books. General is everything that doesn't belong anywhere else, like the users guide. Other collections are straighforward and don't need explanations.

Last edited by Rakgi; 01-24-2012 at 04:06 AM.
Rakgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 04:05 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I don't organize my books into collections. The standard author search is more than adequate for me.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
nonobjective
nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.

Device: Sony 500, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, Paperwhite
I struggle with collections... a lot. My whole system is in flux and I wish I could think of a better way of doing things. I don't keep all my ebooks on my Kindle - just what I'm likely to start reading in the next month or two. I do keep all completed ebooks in a collection though. I'm also one of those individuals that will be in the middle of 5 books at any given time, as long as they are different genres.

Reading
Finished
Fiction
Non-Fiction
Literature
Classics
Shorts
Science/Tech
nonobjective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I no longer use collections. I used to, for series, but now I use Calibre's "plugboard" facility to attach the series name and number to my book titles. For me, this works far better.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
I use both Calibre's plugboard and collections, I keep about 350 books on my kindle. The collections keeps them manageable in small groups and the plugboard helps keep my series together within the collections. I use my tags, which is a group of 13 different collections and of course my to be read list along with my list of books I wish to one day re-read.

If the Touch ever gets its collections importing working consistently and easily, I plan to up my list of books on my KT to about 750.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I have the same sort of mishmash of collections as you. If I have more than 5 or 10 books by an author they probably end up in a collection by author name, or by series name. Otherwise they end up in broad genre categories like Mystery or Non-fiction or Bestsellers. I've also got Booker and Pulitzer prize collections. I have a collection named Current that I put books I plan to read soonish in and there is a Finished collection for those I've read, but not yet marked read in calibre or deleted from my Kindle.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I use collections...mostly just to keep series together. Although I don't keep all my books on my Kindle. I usually don't have more than 20 or 30 books on it at a time.

Some of my collections include:

Honor Harrington
Star Wars
Harry Potter
Sanderson (Brandon Sanderson books)
Wheel of Time

If I am reading a series I will usually keep the whole series on the Kindle.

The collections are nice because it helps keep the homescreen uncluttered. Otherwise, my entire first page of the homescreen says:

Star Wars: Legacy of the Forc......

repeated a bunch of times over due to the series, haha.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There's never enough books on my Kindle to warrant the creation of collections. When my home page extends to a second page... that's a sign for me to "tidy up."
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
There's never enough books on my Kindle to warrant the creation of collections. When my home page extends to a second page... that's a sign for me to "tidy up."
Wow, if only I could condense down to this, my reading list alone is over 75 books and then there are the times (which are often) when I do not want to pick my reading book from the list but read something different, which is why I always keep a good reserve on the kindle.

Besides why have all that space and not use it???
Old 01-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
A couple of audiobooks and some classical music eats that space up mighty fast.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
A couple of audiobooks and some classical music eats that space up mighty fast.
I have a gig of music as a backup if I have a problem with my portable player, but I use my portable player for audiobooks, it is more convenient to put in my pocket to use rather than the Touch. Also, with my player I can use several bookmarks for the same book, which is essential since 90% of my audiobooks are over 15 hours, most of which are closer to 25-40. Though once again my Touch can be a backup since my audible and amazon accounts are linked.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I've only got a few collections. But, there's a crap-ton of books that AREN'T in collections yet. I imagine that I could probably make another 3-5 collections out of what's there.
To Read
Keepers
Reference
Zombies
Humor
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #14
nonobjective
nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.nonobjective is that somebody.

Device: Sony 500, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Wow, if only I could condense down to this, my reading list alone is over 75 books and then there are the times (which are often) when I do not want to pick my reading book from the list but read something different, which is why I always keep a good reserve on the kindle.

Just curious, but are those 75 books on your reading list actual full length (250 - 400 page) books? If my reading list contained 75 books I'd only have to sync my kindle once every 18 months!
nonobjective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #15
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonobjective View Post
Just curious, but are those 75 books on your reading list actual full length (250 - 400 page) books? If my reading list contained 75 books I'd only have to sync my kindle once every 18 months!
Yep, some longer, I have George R.R. Martin's Sword of Ice and Fire series on there, which of course I keep pushing back because I am too lazy to read it right now. Novellas and short stories usually don't make the reading list, they fall in the "let's read something different" category, which is why I have over 300 books on my kindle. Oh and I read an average of 2-3 books a week.