Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Can the buttons be re-programmed?

I've played with a Nook and really like it. But I read one-handed, switching hands. The other hand is holding a nursing baby, so I need the ability to switch hands.

The weight/balance of the Nook make it hard for me to hold it in one-hand and use the lower page forward buttons. I can hold the Nook more comfortably at the mid-point, so if the upper buttons were page foward instead, that would work. It's funny what a difference just an inch or two makes in ergonomics.

I asked the B&N rep if they could be switched, and she didn't think so and I couldn't see anywhere in settings, either.

Is there a way in the software to switch the buttons? Is there a third-party hack that would allow it?
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
Rayven01
Nevermore
Rayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Nook, Nook Color, Stanza(iphone)
You can do this if you softroot your nook (see http://nookdevs.com/Softroot). Instructions on how to do it after you've softrooted are at http://nookdevs.com/Button_mappings.
Rayven01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yikes - I've jailbroken and unlocked plenty of iPhones, but after reading those links, soft-rooting a nook scares me!
Old 06-07-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
frossie
Geek Herder
frossie is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
I understand your problem. I also would have preferred the page forward further up.

Not sure this answers your question, but if you don't want to softroot:

Depending on which position you breastfeed , you might want to consider resting the nook somewhere so you don't have to hold it and then "swooshing" the page turns. Something that can help you is the Industriell Easel cover - it has a magnetic latch that you can use to hold the flipped-over cover so that it props up the nook. It should work on a side table or even a firm mattress.
frossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
simplyparticular
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frossie View Post
Depending on which position you breastfeed , you might want to consider resting the nook somewhere so you don't have to hold it and then "swooshing" the page turns. Something that can help you is the Industriell Easel cover - it has a magnetic latch that you can use to hold the flipped-over cover so that it props up the nook. It should work on a side table or even a firm mattress.
That looks like an excellent idea. I did a quick search on easel/stand cases and came up with this beauty:
http://www.amazon.com/JAVOedge-Cherr...5943031&sr=1-7

I'm very tempted!
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
frossie
Geek Herder
frossie is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
That is a pretty case, though it's hard to tell from the picture whether the material is rigid enough to hold the nook up.

I have these two "official" cases, both with their own advantages:

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Bron...9781615598861/
http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Indu...9781615513376/

The Bronte is made from some kind of stiff cloth board and is stiff enough to hold the nook up by the cover, but not at an angle that I would say is optimal for hands-free reading. This is my "home" protective case, keeps the cover clean and also can be used to prop the nook up with the "wrong" hand (for example if you are right handed you can hold your coffee with the right hand and use the left to hold the nook up by the open flap of the cover). BTW you can replace the picture on the Bronte cover with your own photo.

The Easel Cover is a great case for being on the go - it has the magnetic clasp for keeping the cover held down in a bag/backpack and as I said it flips over to secure it in the easel configuration. This is my preferred case for hands-free reading because it puts the nook at a good angle for reading while, say, eating. It's also easier to wipe clean.
frossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:32 PM   #7
CatsMeow
CatsMeow began at the beginning.

Device: Nook & K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
That looks like an excellent idea. I did a quick search on easel/stand cases and came up with this beauty:
http://www.amazon.com/JAVOedge-Cherr...5943031&sr=1-7

I'm very tempted!
I have the blue Cherry Blossom and I love it! The little easel part snaps into place when not in use so it doesn't get in the way when you don't want to use it. I use the easel function way more than I thought I would. Plus the JAVOedge folks were great to deal with.
CatsMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
ChristineC
ChristineC began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
Yikes - I've jailbroken and unlocked plenty of iPhones, but after reading those links, soft-rooting a nook scares me!
Don't let it scare you. Its a cinch.
ChristineC is offline   Reply With Quote