Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-27-2022, 11:50 AM   #1
roycymru
Connoisseur
roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'roycymru has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Kobo Touch
KOBO SYNC PROBLEMS

Hello

Does anyone have a workaround for this. Tried syncing my Kobo Aura H2O second addition over WiFi for the last week and it fails. OK I thought, I'll try syncing it via my PC, however Kobo Desktop just says Network Error and checking here https://isitdownorjust.me/kobo-com/ it says Website Status: Currently Down, which I presume is why I can't Sync via Wi-fi either. However, other people of the forum seem to be Syncing OK?!

Thank you
roycymru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 05:16 AM   #2
jano1
jano1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Got the same problem on Kobo Aura one. I think our devices are no longer supported... but I don't see these two device on the list of unsupported devices... https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019690433
jano1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2022, 11:56 AM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I just tested a Kobo Touch 905 and it synced with Kobo without issue. I can also browser https://www.kobo.com/en/ca without any noticeable issues. It's possible that Kobo is having an issue with Akamai's edge services.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 12:02 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It seems kobo.com does not return ping replies from these Is it down type websites, but it works when you browse.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 02:14 PM   #5
raichea
raichea began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Ed.
I've just found that both Aura H2O second editions in our house are also failing to sync.
raichea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2023, 12:46 AM   #6
ghira
Zealot
ghira began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Aura One, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Glowlight,
My Kobo Aura One hasn't synched successfully for over a year. My Sage has only ever managed to synch once, when I bought it. Software upgrades work, and I can download new books by asking to "read" them. But actual synching? Nope. I would sort of like to know why.

Calibre says database is ok.

I know, I should fix account, log out, factory reset. etc. Sigh. But the Sage has
only synched on the day it arrived? Isn't that a bit feeble?

Last edited by ghira; 01-02-2023 at 10:59 PM.
ghira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 05:50 AM   #7
Jakkal
Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura, Kobo Touch
I have the same syncing problem with both of my readers, Kobo One and Kobo Libra. After the update to firmware 4.34.20097 they cannot sync (Sync Failed) or connect to Kobo Store ( Network Error). They are both connected to internet, I can open websites or local network resources. I have tried with two different routers and Smartphone Hotspot. Can someone please help us. Thank you
Jakkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 09:40 PM   #8
glenk
Enthusiast
glenk doesn't litterglenk doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
When I had this problem, the solution was detailed in
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...41&postcount=8
glenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 11:51 AM   #9
Jakkal
Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.Jakkal shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura, Kobo Touch
Thank you. That was helpful. I had to logout/log in and now everything work. The logging out reset my reader sadly, but it works.
Jakkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 12:20 PM   #10
raichea

I tried logging out but couldn't log back in, so the ereader becam unusable. When I went to the Kobo web site, I also couldn't log in there. The 'forgotten password" process failed so I tried creating a new login with the same email. This also failed saying "email address already linked to another account". To use the ereader I had to create an account with a different email address but lost all my collections, list of read books etc.

I contacted Kobo and - after a few emails - they told me they'd deleted my account for some reason. I've asked why and also, if deleted, why I can't create an account with that original email address. Really hacked off.... especially as my wife's Aura H2O 2nd ed. is in the same state (won't sync). Kobo say they've deleted her account too - at least she still has her collections etc. as she hasn't logged out after my experience.
Old 01-22-2023, 09:26 AM   #11
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by raichea View Post
To use the ereader I had to create an account with a different email address but lost all my collections, list of read books etc.
I would recommend using calibre and the koboextended driver to make a local backup of your collections and reading positions.

Then, after you log out (which resets the database), you can use calibre to resync the reading positions and collections. This takes a bit of setup, and I'd recommend practicing with the device that has already been reset first.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 12:59 PM   #12
raichea

I'm using Calibre but read that the plugin support for Kobo was no longer being updated due to the untimely demise of its author. I have Kobo Reader Device Interface (2.5.1), KoboTouch (2.5.1 but disabled) and KoboTouchExtended (3.6.3) installed but got warnings about the database not being supported - due, I thought, to the plugin no longer being updated.

I'm not completely clear which plugins do what and which will do what you say... it sounds like the last on the list may be all I need?
Old 01-23-2023, 02:11 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichea View Post
I'm using Calibre but read that the plugin support for Kobo was no longer being updated due to the untimely demise of its author. I have Kobo Reader Device Interface (2.5.1), KoboTouch (2.5.1 but disabled) and KoboTouchExtended (3.6.3) installed but got warnings about the database not being supported - due, I thought, to the plugin no longer being updated.

I'm not completely clear which plugins do what and which will do what you say... it sounds like the last on the list may be all I need?
The database version update is still being done but you need to install a calibre version where that update has been done.

The Kobo Reader Device interface is for the Kobo and Kobo WiFi (the ones with the D-pad control button) so you shouldn't need it. The KoboTouch and KoboTouch Extended both work with the Kobo Touch and any newer Kobo models. Where they differ is that the KTE driver has the ability to convert epub to kepub on the fly.

In both the KoboTouch and KoboTouch Extended drivers, you can open the configuration for the driver and on the Metadata, on device and advanced tab, check the Attempt to support newer firmware checkbox. Given that several posters on MobileRead are in the Kobo beta program, any issues with using newer firmware are very likely to be reported before a public release.

I'd also suggest installing the KoboUtilities plugin since I find it very useful.
Old 01-23-2023, 02:59 PM   #14
isarl
Addict
isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
check the Attempt to support newer firmware checkbox.
Should I expect to see errors without this enabled? I believe I've been using Calibre with KTE with this checkbox unchecked, without any issues (or without any issues I've noticed, at least), even though my Aura edition 2 is on the latest firmware.
isarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 03:08 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by isarl View Post
Should I expect to see errors without this enabled? I believe I've been using Calibre with KTE with this checkbox unchecked, without any issues (or without any issues I've noticed, at least), even though my Aura edition 2 is on the latest firmware.
That will only keep you from seeing an error when a new firmware is released and installed before a new release of calibre is installed.