Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-17-2022, 02:12 PM   #91
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrath View Post
What do you mean with pulled? Did kobo "unrelease" this firmware version because it was buggy? Since the initial setup I've kept my reader with wifi off since I prefer the longer battery life and won't get bothered by update notifications.

The issue seems to be caused by NickelSeries. It does not happen when NickelSeries is not installed. In stock configuration or with just Autoshelf installed everything works fine.

If I can assist with any logs I'd be glad to do so. Just note that I'm very new to the kobo system and don't know what logs there are and how to get them ;D
Yes, they "unreleased" it.

You'd need to get the output of `logread` while importing books. It's not an easy process, though. I'll see if there's anything obvious about 4.35 first (I need to check if any of the method signatures for the stuff imported by NickelSeries changed).
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 02:15 PM   #92
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
delete post

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-17-2022 at 02:17 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2022, 02:19 PM   #93
Scrath
Scrath began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
@Scrath, if you are using Calibre, just setup collections and series and do it from within Calibre. It's a lot easier (IMHO) as you'd be using Calibre to send your eBooks to your 2E anyway.
I'm not a huge fan of calibre since I use a couple different devices and there is still no proper mechanism for calibre to allow access to a library from multiple devices (apart from workarounds such as putting the library on a synchronised folder).

I'd prefer to just use calibre to touch up the metadata and then use my own folder system for sorting.
Scrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 02:24 PM   #94
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of calibre since I use a couple different devices and there is still no proper mechanism for calibre to allow access to a library from multiple devices (apart from workarounds such as putting the library on a synchronised folder).

I'd prefer to just use calibre to touch up the metadata and then use my own folder system for sorting.
I'm using Windows 11 & Windows 10 (and Windows 8.1) with my Calibre library on a networked drive. I've been doing so for over 10 years. The network drive shows up as a drive letter and Calibre accesses the libraries no problem. I can use my laptop and Surface Pro 2 to access my libraries. Just can't use Calibre more then one at a time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 08:17 AM   #95
Grimaud
Guru
Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS-650
Hello,

The firmware is available again, but is it safe to install it if I'm using NickelSeries ?
Grimaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2023, 08:39 AM   #96
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaud View Post
Hello,

The firmware is available again, but is it safe to install it if I'm using NickelSeries ?
Working fine for me anyway! (Libra 2 and my old Aura HD. Nickel on both of course)

Last edited by Asawi; 01-19-2023 at 08:51 AM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 06:04 PM   #97
gogu1904
Connoisseur
gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One LE
-- delete
gogu1904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 10:39 AM   #98
Grimaud
Guru
Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Grimaud could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Working fine for me anyway! (Libra 2 and my old Aura HD. Nickel on both of course)
Grimaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 05:59 AM   #99
Scrath
Scrath began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Hi,
I'm currently trying to get this to work properly on a newly bought kobo clara 2e running firmware version 4.35.20400.

Sometimes when I plug the device in to my computer via USB it freezes and reboots after a a couple seconds.

Is this a known issue?

I'm trying to use Autoshelf along with this to organize multiple series into a single collection. I don't think this is causing the issue though as I've also encountered it while just using NickelSeries alone when I was troubleshooting.

I also can't get the metadata to parse at all. All I'm doing is copying a couple of folders of books over to the kobo and then disconnecting the USB cable.

I've attached the content.opf file from one of my books that I used for testing.
A little update from me regarding this issue I had. After some more experimentation (using firmware 4.34.20097 now btw) I believe I can retract my previous statement where I said that I assume this to be an issue with NickelSeries.

I still suffer from the bug even though I am no longer using NickelSeries. Rather I am now using just Autoshelf alone with the regex for series parsing enabled. The issue seems to only occur when connecting the reader directly to my PCs USB ports. If I connect it using a hub there are no issues and another PC I tested also works fine.

My PC has an Asus Prime X470-Pro motherboard which utilizes Asmedia USB controllers. Those are apparently known for causing issues with all kinds of devices such as audio interfaces and logic analyzers.

I'm sorry if I gave you some extra work looking for a bug that apparently does not exist.
Scrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 06:15 PM   #100
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
I've released a minor update fixing occasional EPUB3-style metadata parsing failures.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 01:24 AM   #101
xyclonei
Connoisseur
xyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I've released a minor update fixing occasional EPUB3-style metadata parsing failures.
Thank you!
xyclonei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 02:56 PM   #102
zdv80
zdv80 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Thanks a lot, I used it to show my custom column "Pages" as subtitle and works very well

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You don't actually need another column.

My column is named Pages and in the book details view which includes the description, I get Pages: and then the page number.

Attachment 187005
I'm trying to also show it inside book details but I'm not able to achieve it
Could you help me a litlle JSWolf?

thanks!!
zdv80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 03:06 PM   #103
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdv80 View Post
I'm trying to also show it inside book details but I'm not able to achieve it
Could you help me a litlle JSWolf?

thanks!!
Using the PageCount plugin and two custom columns, I configured the KoboTouch driver to send the information to my Kobos. I've attached the column setup and KoboTouch driver setup images. Note that if you want to use the time to read estimates, you will likely need to change the divisors since they reflect reading speed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KoboTouch_driver-tab_3.png
Views:	79
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	204335   Click image for larger version

Name:	pages_words_columns.png
Views:	44
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	204336  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 07:52 PM   #104
vivaria
Karuta Pro
vivaria began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Hello! I have a very silly question. What is the purpose of this plugin?

I ask because, from what I understand, my Kobo already has series metadata support. (My setup: Load books into Calibre -> Manually edit the Series metadata -> Wireless sync (+automated conversion to kepub) using calibre-web -> Books appear in the top "Series" tab under "My Books".)

Reading between the lines here, I see mention of plugging and unplugging Kobo devices. Does this mean that NickelSeries is intended for people who are sideloading books in a more traditional manner?

Thanks!
vivaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 08:43 PM   #105
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It parses the series information contained in each book and populates the series tab on the Kobo itself during the import process, if you don't want to manipulate the series information from Calibre, I think.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, ldpreload, nickel, series, seriesmeta