Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 06:44 PM   #16
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
M. R.:

I understand that some people have a philosophical objection to paying $8-12 for an ebook, but in this case I think you are more than meeting them half-way: There is a 100K word sample for people to try and enjoy at no cost or obligation -- that is certainly more than enough to let a reader know if this is something they will enjoy.

IMO, I wouldn't bother to get defensive about your price, don't waste time arguing or debating -- price is always an issue where people are going to have wildly different opinions. Just gently remind them of the 100,000 word "sample" -- longer than most entire novels -- and leave it at that.

I plan to check out your project when I get the chance.

Best of luck!

-- Bill Smith
BillSmithBooks.com
Author of the Outlaw Galaxy series.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:12 PM   #17
M. R. Mathias
Banned
M. R. Mathias has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle k3, PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I don't think it's so much my finances - more so the fact that you as an unknown author charges more for your first book than Ken Follett charges for his hugely popular novel Pillars of the Earth. His book is also bigger at 1767KB and 1100 pages, and has nearly 1600 reviews, of which 1096 gave 5 stars.

I have read quite a bit of your sample - I think it's very good, and I would really love to read your book, just not for that price (even with the Smashwords coupon)
Be patient, the first ful length installment of my Dragoneers Saga 'The Royal Dragoneers' is going live in Oct. I will lower the price on this one then but not until it gets closer to christmas. I can not compete with Ken follet all I can say is this: I do not have a team of editors, marketers, and distributers to help me sell 1,000 copies a month like he does, but I still got bills to pay. It I did i would sell for less.

Last edited by M. R. Mathias; 09-18-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:45 AM   #18
M. R. Mathias
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSmithBooks View Post
M. R.:

I understand that some people have a philosophical objection to paying $8-12 for an ebook, but in this case I think you are more than meeting them half-way: There is a 100K word sample for people to try and enjoy at no cost or obligation -- that is certainly more than enough to let a reader know if this is something they will enjoy.

IMO, I wouldn't bother to get defensive about your price, don't waste time arguing or debating -- price is always an issue where people are going to have wildly different opinions. Just gently remind them of the 100,000 word "sample" -- longer than most entire novels -- and leave it at that.

I plan to check out your project when I get the chance.

Best of luck!

-- Bill Smith
BillSmithBooks.com
Author of the Outlaw Galaxy series.
Thanks Bill I'll be looking into The Outlaw Galaxy series just he name sounds interesting!
Old 09-17-2010, 01:09 AM   #19
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Something to consider: You say you would sell the book for less if it sold more copies. Is it possible that it would sell more copies if you sold it for less? Apparently that has been the case with other books.

I'm not buying anything right now (the TBR list has gotten out of hand, so I need to read it down to a manageable size) so I'm not much of a test market. But it's something you might want to look into.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:23 AM   #20
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. R. Mathias View Post
The Smashwords coupon code to get it for the Amazon price is: PG93B

Get the 100,000 word preview at this
Smashwords link: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/22793
Just a point of interest, the coupon is not working or has expired.

Worldwalker is probably right though, lowering the price somewhat might generate more sales for you

Needless to say, looks a good read.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:27 AM   #21
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
The Smashwords coupon code to get it for the Amazon price is: PG93B
Just tried the code and it doesn't work. I guess I'll just wait until you just lower the price.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:59 AM   #22
M. R. Mathias
Banned

I only made the code for 1 day Ill go remake it and post it here: WF78A

this is for $8.88 until Oct. 1st
Old 09-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #23
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Just bought it with the coupon. When did you lower the standard price to $9.88 from $11.88. I missed that drop.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:11 PM   #24
M. R. Mathias
Banned

I dont know why I did it. I just did.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:27 AM   #25
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Bought this at Amazon, I'm enjoying it tremendously.

Also, while it doesn't matter to me (as such) because I automatically got the lower price at Amazon, it's good to see you responded to feedback by lowering the price at Smashwords.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:31 AM   #26
M. R. Mathias
Banned

Thanks Gwen, I hope you enjoy it.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #27
M. R. Mathias
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I don't think it's so much my finances - more so the fact that you as an unknown author charges more for your first book than Ken Follett charges for his hugely popular novel Pillars of the Earth. His book is also bigger at 1767KB and 1100 pages, and has nearly 1600 reviews, of which 1096 gave 5 stars.

I have read quite a bit of your sample - I think it's very good, and I would really love to read your book, just not for that price (even with the Smashwords coupon)
Thats because Ken Follett didn't write his books in a prison cell with an inkpen... I did. That makes it a very rare book. How many 700,000 word epics do you imagine get written in prison cells? See? Im about to raise the price. So if you want to get it for less that 10 bucks you better hurry. You don't want to be the person who didnt read that wicked fantasy that the jerk convict wrote, do you? I didn't think so.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:25 PM   #28
Anteater
Anteater began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Just bought it from Smashwords - description and reviews look good, probably won't get around to reading it for a while though.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #29
M. R. Mathias
Banned

Thank you. I hope you enjoy it.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:34 PM   #30
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Thats because Ken Follett didn't write his books in a prison cell with an inkpen... I did. That makes it a very rare book. How many 700,000 word epics do you imagine get written in prison cells? See? Im about to raise the price. So if you want to get it for less that 10 bucks you better hurry. You don't want to be the person who didnt read that wicked fantasy that the jerk convict wrote, do you? I didn't think so.
Maybe you'll get on this list one day..
Closed Thread

Tags
dragon, epic fantasy, fantasy, m.r. mathias, magic, sword, wizard