Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #901
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@JohnsonZA: No, you'll have to rename the Helvetica family from the backups folder to replace the Sans_* custom family.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:50 PM   #902
dAhc
dAhc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
hello, I hope you can help me with my problem

about 3 weeks ago I installed the screen saver hack and it worked perfectly, but then I uninstalled it (jailbreak and the ss hack) because I thought it woud cause trouble if I installed the kindle update and just to be sure I reset it to factory defaults

then I installed the kindle update but when I did the hack again it didn't work
I installed jailbreak first then the ss hack and apparently it worked because I got the niluje screen saver but when I put my own pictures and put the kindle to sleep the screen looked blank no screen saver
dAhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2010, 11:25 PM   #903
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@dAhc: You need to restart the framework (or your Kindle) to take new images into account.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:05 AM   #904
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Bump USBNetwork to v0.25.N

* Make the warnings in the config file & doc even more prominent
* Do some minimal user input sanitization after loading the config, to try not to mess up things too much with a completely trashed or slightly messed up config file. And throw a huge fuss in the syslogs if need be.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:20 AM   #905
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
@NiLuJe,

Where I can find any information how to make K3 updates? I just made Russian translation and want to make updates for all users...
Sir Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #906
gehusi
gehusi began at the beginning.

After installing the screen saver and font hacks, everything worked great. Lately however, if I leave my K3 in screen saver mode for more than an hour the screen will freeze and I am forced to do a restart. When it is in this frozen state the battery seems to drain very quickly as well.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else come across this issue?
gehusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #907
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Sir Alex: Check the original packager thread, the packager's help output, and any of the src folder of my packages. There's really not much to tell, it's pretty self explanatory.

@gehusi: There seems to be a few reports of Kindle locking up during suspend. AFAICT, it's an issue with the original hardware/software, because you seem to be the first to report this with a non-vanilla Kindle.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #908
gehusi
gehusi began at the beginning.

Might uninstalling the jailbreak and hacks reverse the problem or is the damage done?
gehusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:08 PM   #909
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@gehusi: There seems to be a few reports of Kindle locking up during suspend. AFAICT, it's an issue with the original hardware/software, because you seem to be the first to report this with a non-vanilla Kindle.
I agree. Left mine on inadvertently all through the night, but no problem waking it in the morning. So uninstalling will still leave you wth the problem and that has not been caused by the jailbreak or the hack. You might uninstall, return it and claim a new one.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:43 PM   #910
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Just a quick warning: The 3.0.3 update *breaks* the jailbreak method. So, if you intend to ever use any hack, jailbreak your kindle *before* doing the 3.0.3 update!

Also, usbnet users, I'll be posting an update very soon to workaround the 3.0.3 update. In order to make the hack work again, either do the usbnet update before installing 3.0.3, or reinstall usbnet after having installed the 3.0.3 update.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-18-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:22 PM   #911
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
Quote:
Just a quick warning: The 3.0.3 update *breaks* the jailbreak method. So, if you intend to ever use any hack, jailbreak your kindle *before* doing the 3.0.3 update!
Whoa. But it's fine if you're already jailbroken? How does that work?
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:26 PM   #912
NiLuJe
BLAM!

It fixed the install exploit (that had already been fixed the same way a while ago for the K2).

Bump USBNet to v0.26.N:

* Make sure the usbNetwork private command symlink is up at the end of the boot, in case of a nasty update like the 3.0.3 .

(Note to SSH over WiFi users: There's been some iptables changes in this update, so I'd like some feedback on that for those making heavy use of this )

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-18-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:30 PM   #913
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
Quote:
It fixed the install exploit (that had already been fixed the ame way a while ago for the K2).
Okay, and a workaround was developed in the K2's case, so maybe there're good odds on a post-3.0.3 jailbreak?

Just asking because I have friends who are considering ordering Kindles and weren't particularly fond of the stock screensavers.
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #914
NiLuJe
BLAM!

There's been other changes to the update script that prevents the same kind of workaround used in the K2 case, so, for now, no.

Also, just to make it clear: If you already had jailbroken your Kindle, it's still jailbroken after the 3.0.3 update, and all your hacks still work. The only thing broken is the *install* of the jailbreak on a *vanilla* 3.0.3 Kindle.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-18-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #915
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Bump USBNetwork to v0.27.N:

* Drop some useless code added in the v0.26.N update. (namely, we don't need to use mntroot, we're already in a rwfs state until the end of the boot, which, conveniently, is right after we finish running (ie. the previous behaviour wasn't harmful)).

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet