Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 08:00 PM   #46
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I tried; with a bunch of reloads, I got Kindle ads, nook ads, "deal" ads, and a textbook rental ad with a very cute egg, but no ads from the schmucks. Either MR did something about it or I just didn't get lucky(?) on the rotation.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:11 PM   #47
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Wow,
First Steve Jobs rips you off for $500, then this jerk rips you off $50. That really sucks.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 05:14 AM   #48
NightGeometry
Zealot
NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I tried; with a bunch of reloads, I got Kindle ads, nook ads, "deal" ads, and a textbook rental ad with a very cute egg, but no ads from the schmucks. Either MR did something about it or I just didn't get lucky(?) on the rotation.

I just tried again a couple of times, and also didn't see it. Maybe it has really gone.
NightGeometry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:15 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
We have no control over the ads. Of course, the best thing to do is simply to be signed in as a registered user; that way, you won't see any ads.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #50
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
We have no control over the ads.
And thank for the demonstration of why I strongly advise people to use Project Wonderful, where you DO get to approve every single advert.

(No, I have no financial interest in them beyond using them on several websites, they're great)
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 03:35 AM   #51
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Someone's put a lot of effort into the site
I know, it's embarrassing to run across a fly-by-night blatant scam site, that looks better than my own corporate site that's been up for 11 years.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:52 AM   #52
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Common sense has saved a lot of people!
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:50 PM   #53
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
As the enthusiastic new owner of an iPad, I was looking for an iPad forum. I found one that is currently being spammed by one-off posters directing people to MyPadMedia. No one there is stopping them. Very sad. Fortunately folks here are more on the ball.

Thanks for your diligence, Zelda and co.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:00 AM   #54
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
I think here in the UK we would call it "Obtaining money by deception", which is a criminal offence here. They are deliberately misleading people into thinking that they can only access these sites if they pay the $50.

This is not a new activity on the web, in the past there have been websites that ask you to pay for downloads of things like, Google Earth, Adobe Reader and the like, all available for free direct from the creators.

It is a Scam and it is dishonest!
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:13 PM   #55
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
The MyPadMedia people are googlebombing the Web with fake "expose'" sites which then, of course, end with "We investigated, and it's the best thing since sliced bread; go buy it! (with link provided)" Aside from MobileRead, Teleread, and a couple of other sites, every one of the top Google hits for "mypadmedia scam", for pages, is one of their bogus websites. Some of them even force redirects to the mypadmedia website via pop-ups.

I think MobileReaders need to be more proactive in getting the word out.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #56
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Thanks for the info.

A lot of rotten people out there.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:35 AM   #57
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
They're all over youtube too.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:38 AM   #58
booboy
booboy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Like an idiot, I fell for the advertising for the 'MyPadMedia' and subscribed to the 'service' (Hah!).
We all know (now) what I was paying for was 4 links to FREE sites.

BUT there is a happy ending, and I advise others in this situation to do as I did.

I paid via PayPal, and the payment went via ClickBank.
As soon as I realised I had been scammed, I did the following.

1 Logged into my PayPal a/c
2 Clicked on the 'Resolution Centre' tab
3 Clicked 'Dispute a transaction'
4 Clicked 'Item Dispute' radio button
5 Filled in the order details etc and described the problem as 'significantly not as described'
6 Voila! 2 days later ClickBank refunded my money in full.

If you paid by credit card, then your bank would be the people to contact.
If you paid by debit card, you COULD try approaching your bank, but prepare for disappointment.
booboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:13 AM   #59
NightGeometry
Zealot
NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX
The blogger ones I've taken to reporting as spam. The Yahoo questions I also report. Would have been harder, but a couple of them the same person asks the question each time, and person B always answers. At least all the 'not spam' sites are so similar that it should be put off most people.
NightGeometry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:02 AM   #60
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Kick them where it hurts. If enough paypal/creditcard disputes comes along, their account will just be suspended.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote