Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-26-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
Question Which Program Do You Use To Write Your Books?

I love to write tutorials and how-to's for forums, blogs and wiki's, but now I'm writing a book about programming languages integration. Then I want to know wht program you use to write your books
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My pick: Microsoft Works Word Processor
My pick when on Linux: OpenOffice.org
Advert
Old 12-26-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
I'm a fan of WordPerfect Word Processor. I won't touch Microsoft products if I can avoid it.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Campos View Post
My pick: Microsoft Works Word Processor
My pick when on Linux: OpenOffice.org
Nathan, on the assumption that you will have the book edited by a professional editor and/or submit the book to a publisher who will do the same, I strongly suggest that you do not use Microsoft Works. Most editors use Microsoft Word; some use OpenOffice; very few use WordPerfect -- but no professional editor that I know of uses Microsoft Works because it is problematic.

If your manuscript has no formatting and is just plain text, using Works won't matter. But if you do style it (which most authors do), it will need to be converted from Works to a more standard word processing program, which usually means Word. This is necessary because many of the tools used in the editorial and production process are designed to work with Word. What works with Word doesn't work with Works.

That's my 2 cents FWIW.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
Nathan Campos
Groupie

Humm, the last time that I've used WordPerfect was on Windows 95.
Advert
Old 12-26-2009, 11:37 AM   #6
Nathan Campos
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Nathan, on the assumption that you will have the book edited by a professional editor and/or submit the book to a publisher who will do the same, I strongly suggest that you do not use Microsoft Works. Most editors use Microsoft Word; some use OpenOffice; very few use WordPerfect -- but no professional editor that I know of uses Microsoft Works because it is problematic.

If your manuscript has no formatting and is just plain text, using Works won't matter. But if you do style it (which most authors do), it will need to be converted from Works to a more standard word processing program, which usually means Word. This is necessary because many of the tools used in the editorial and production process are designed to work with Word. What works with Word doesn't work with Works.

That's my 2 cents FWIW.
I write books that are open-source and use Works because it's my favorite one, then I start formatting it for LaTeX using WinEdt or Emacs

Now you got it?
Old 12-26-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I've fallen in love with Scrivener for Mac.
My second best friend is still WordXP, nice and reliable.
I haven't quite figured out the grammar/spelling system on the Mac.
Word tends to find more oopsies than Scriv has. Unless I'm doing something wrong
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:29 PM   #8
Nathan Campos
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
I've fallen in love with Scrivener for Mac.
My second best friend is still WordXP, nice and reliable.
I haven't quite figured out the grammar/spelling system on the Mac.
Word tends to find more oopsies than Scriv has. Unless I'm doing something wrong
I think you need TextMate
Old 12-26-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Textmate? Whuzzat
Old 12-26-2009, 10:47 PM   #10
GoblinWriter
vizsla wrangler
GoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle 3G
I've been using Pages on the Mac, but only because I've been too lazy to try other programs. I remember someone suggesting one that made it easy to add notes about characters and places and such (not in the text, obviously), but I forget which one it was. Scrivener maybe?
GoblinWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:54 PM   #11
jaxx6166
Wizard

Yeah. It's probably Scriv. Picture a program that lets you make a notebook of index cards and stuff and insert full written pages wherever you want it in there. That's Scriv.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:37 AM   #12
Nathan Campos
Groupie

When I was using Mac. That was on the time of Mac OS 8, I was using Microsoft Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Textmate? Whuzzat
Check out TextMate.
It's the best and fully-features editor for Mac you ever seen!

But I've stoped using Macintosh since the release of the first OS X , because I hate OS X.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:56 PM   #13
jaxx6166
Wizard

Looks like a programmers dream. I gave up with that style of writing in early 2000. My experience was minimal at best. I mostly made cheesy little programs in Visual Basic, tried to teach myself C and then gave up about halfway through C for dummies.

Nowadays I write with words instead of syntax...I think I do a better job of that.

I'm the opposite of you Nathan. I played around on the early PowerPC iMacs. Didn't like them. It pretty much drove me up a wall.

I came back for OSX

And after spending 8 hours yesterday trying to install W7 on a PC, I'm glad I did.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:30 AM   #14
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
I use open office exclusively for all my writing.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:48 PM   #15
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Right now, I use StarOffice Writer (the commercial version of OpenOffice.org's Writer). I chose it over Microsoft (MS) Word because of my dislike for Word and its cost (the entire StarOffice suite cost less than one component of MS Office). Also, I've found Writer to be a very good word processor, it's not as powerful as MS Word but it does just about everything that I need to do when I write.

If you need to convert your MS Works documents into another format, StarOffice will open the files and allow you to save them in other formats. In addition to MS Works, it will also open a large number of formats, including many legacy formats (going back to WordPerfect 4.1, WordStar 3.3, and MS Word 3.x).

Another word processor I can recommend is Jarte. It uses RTF as its native format (it's also a very good text editor) so its documents can be opened with just about any word processor. It's best for the kind of writing that doesn't require elaborate formatting and it has an interface that doesn't get in the way of your writing.

It's available for free (there is also a paid version called Jarte Plus that has a few additional features) and its worth a try. I liked the program so much that after using it for a few months I purchased the paid version.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote