Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-15-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Dan Brown - The Lost Symbol: 74% discount

I don't know if it's temporary, but Amazon.co.uk is selling the hardback for 4,99£: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0...SIN=059305427X

I know, I know, it's not an ebook... But it's so cheaper!
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:47 PM   #2
cassle
Enthusiast
cassle began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, iPhone
In my country, the paperback version is almost US$30, I don't know is it the original price or is it because I'm leaving in south east asia.
cassle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 02:01 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
At any price, *The Lost Symbol* is too expensive. Just finished it. Complete tripe from start to finish. N
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:36 AM   #4
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
At any price, *The Lost Symbol* is too expensive. Just finished it. Complete tripe from start to finish. N
Somehow I don't think that will make the blurbs on the paperback edition.

Thanks for the review, I was almost enticed enough by the hype, and against my better judgment, to actually fork over money for it.

Better judgment will prevail in this case.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:08 AM   #5
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
Quote:
You're insulting tripe.
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 05:15 AM   #6
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzeltjes View Post
You're insulting tripe.
What is really insulting is that the guy will make millions and millions of $ from this crap. While authors who DO turn out books that are great to read and totally pulls you into their "magic" hardly ever can live on it.

It's just sad.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:01 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassle View Post
In my country, the paperback version is almost US$30, I don't know is it the original price or is it because I'm leaving in south east asia.
There is no paperback version, as far as I know.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:05 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Isn't there some justification that the book publisher should pay people to read this book --- say....$9.99 deposited in one's checking account?

Just a thought. I have some other thoughts too, but they revolve around felines.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-18-2009 at 07:08 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:31 AM   #9
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Well, those who have read it seem to love it:

Quote:
The short answer is that The Lost Symbol is very entertaining--a page-turner at its very core. Even if you don't read the book in one sitting, I guarantee you'll find yourself putting the book down 5-6 chapters later than your original stopping point.
http://www.omnivoracious.com/2009/09...st-symbol.html
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:34 AM   #10
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
What is really insulting is that the guy will make millions and millions of $ from this crap. While authors who DO turn out books that are great to read and totally pulls you into their "magic" hardly ever can live on it.

It's just sad.
Success means finding out what people want and giving it to them. I don't know who the authors are that you're talking about, but Brown struggled in obscurity for a while before figuring out what people wanted to read...maybe they will too.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There is no paperback version, as far as I know.
Harry, he may have meant the "paper" version.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:32 AM   #12
Ocean
Banned

Quote:
Complete tripe from start to finish. N

Why did you finish it? I struggle to make it halfway through books that are tripe at their very start
Old 09-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post

It's just sad.
What I find "sad" is that people are so "down" on an author who is writing best-sellers. We need more successful authors in the world, not to be criticising those who do well, on the grounds that their creations fall short of some imagined "literary standard".

I'm sorry, but I really do disagree with you most strongly on this.

Well done Mr. Brown!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:54 AM   #14
Ocean
Banned

Quote:
What I find "sad" is that people are so "down" on an author who is writing best-sellers. We need more successful authors in the world, not to be criticising those who do well, on the grounds that their creations fall short of some imagined "literary standard".
** +1 **
Old 09-18-2009, 10:48 AM   #15
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

I'm sorry, but I really do disagree with you most strongly on this.

Well done Mr. Brown!

I've read both Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons and hated both! I find Mr Brown's writing style...lacking. And repetitive. And I really despise books where the author feels the need to explain himself in great detail, leaving nothing to the reader.

But that said, I agree with HarryT on this one. There are plenty of books/authors out there that I don't like, but if there's a market for it and he can make a living off it, more power to him! If I could write complete tripe and still make millions, I'd sure as hell be doing it too.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote