Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-25-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Shortcovers launches tomorrow!

It's been a long time coming and we've heard a lot about the "Kindle killer", but now is the time for Indigo's Shortcovers to open its doors and show us what's inside.
  • Public launch is tomorrow, February 26th
  • Shortcovers will be launching on iPhone, Blackberry and Android
  • The service will be available globally, but launching with US and Canadian currencies
  • Shortcovers will have 200,000 first chapters of books, 50,000 full books at launch, but adding much more content in the coming weeks from top publishers such as Random House, Simon & Schuster and Harper Collins.
  • Shortcovers’ eBooks will cheaper than their hardcopy counterparts – ranging in the $4.99-$19.99 range.

It should go without saying that we're eagerly waiting to hear of your first Shortcovers hands-on experiences.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
this is one of those things that tempts me to buy a smartphone, even though i don't really need one.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
99 cents a chapter could be very expensive. They must have better pricing for the whole book.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:09 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Does anyone know if they have anything for the 505?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'll definitely be trying them on my iPod Touch but I hope there will be PC software to read shortcovers books as well.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
$19.99 seems kind of expensive to what Amazon is offering? I'll bookmark it though!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:58 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Is this going to be yet another format or is it just a new service using an existing format?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #8
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Nice to see competition but first, it is no competition price wise and second, reading on a phone totally sucks.

But competition never hurts and it will be great for the eye doctors in about 20 years. <g>
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I might utilize this for chapters...
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:13 PM   #10
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I know I'm being really petty but don't you find websites annoying that hijack your browser and won't let you "back out"?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:13 PM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I know I'm being really petty but don't you find websites annoying that hijack your browser and won't let you "back out"?
No, I hate that too.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:04 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I hate that, but you can get out using the history drop down to bypass the page.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:12 AM   #13
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I'm trying it out right now, and so far it's an okay experience. It was a bit difficult to find the HOW information, which was what I craved the most. A little too much of 'look how cool we are!' to wade through. I don't like that I sat for 5 min. thinking; yes this is great - but how do I BUY stuff?

I haven't been able to find content for sale - yet - most of it seems to be sample chapters, and while it's nice to try things out, I wan to be able to buy the whole book right away.
Edit: I can see whole books for sale, but there seem to be a lot of books where they only have the first chapter (for now?). I won't even try to start a book unless I know I can get all of it.

The setup seems really easy to use, because it's synced both online and mobile. I only have an iPod Touch though, and free, accessible wi-fi hotspots does not abound where I live, so I can't really acces the site on the go. But if I could, this would not only be good, but really great! I obviously need an iPhone

Edit: Tried to buy a Niel Gaiman book, but ran into the 'cannot buy bec. of geographic location' problem... Bleh.

Last edited by Ea; 02-26-2009 at 07:27 AM.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:52 AM   #14
jrial
jrial began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iRex Iliad, nokia 770, gp2x, palm zire 71
Well, it's a novel concept, but I don't think it will really fly. See, what they're trying to do is offer bite-sized pieces of content that can be sampled and consumed in short bursts. The problem might be their target audience: we're readers... We read... We have enough time and patience to read a *whole* book. The hyperactive kids who need their entertainment in short bursts lest it distracts them from the next piece of entertainment usually don't hang around those "boring old bookstores" anyway.

On the other hand, they are a good contender for the "most frakked up launch of the year" award... Way to screw up a launch, guys. At least you've put the other ebook site owners out there at ease: "if the competition is this competent, we'll do alright, y'all".
jrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:15 AM   #15
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Been using it for 5 minutes and already there are many things that bother me:

1. Most of the books I'd consider buying are restricted to US customers.
2. Scientific books have text like "[MATHEMATICAL EXPRESSION NOT REPRODUCIBLE IN ASCII] (1)" or "A(detected at O)= [summation over (i)] A(S [right arrow] [A.sub.i] [right arrow] O) (1)" where equations should be. This is a pretty major issue which will make some books impossible to follow.
3. No figures (at least in the books I've flicked through).

I do like the ability to sample chapters though, so I expect I'll use that feature but probably not buy anything from shortcovers.

Last edited by RobbieClarken; 02-26-2009 at 08:18 AM.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote