Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Portable Audio/Video

Notices

Old 08-23-2005, 06:00 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Pocket Tunes and AudioBooks

I have made no secret of the fact that I am a Pocket Tunes Deluxe user, and really enjoy the software for listening to mp3 files. I'm currently using a thumb board skin (available at PalmFocus) which is perfect for thumb operation on a Treo. And, there seems to be quite active development on the product itself, such as the recent additions of Janus and Rhapsody compatibility, plus streaming audio from internet radio via wireless connections. More improvements are on the way.

As a MobileRead exclusive, I can tell you that the Pocket Tunes folks have confirmed to me that bookmark features will specifically be improved, and be a focus area for future releases. I think one can safely conclude that means they are going to address the one remaining significant weakness that I see in the software. Specifically, if I am listening to a set of files in order, say an audiobook with multiple files, it's not very easy to leave that audiobook to listen to something else and then return where you left off.

Technically, you can sort of do that with a bookmark, but when you return to the bookmarked location, you only continue to the end of that file. To continue to the next file, you have to open the corresponding playlist and find the right file to restart. Not too bad, but a bit of a nusiance. Ideally, you could return to your place in the book, and then keep on going even if it moves you to the next file.

So with the expectation of this sort of improvement, it's clear that if you are an audiobook fan or like to listen to music in album playlists, you can have some comfort level with jumping on the Pocket Tunes bandwagon. They haven't finalized all the details and are understandably reluctant to share the details so early (competitors are lurking everywhere!) But it's still exciting to know that these basic needs will be addressed. I can wholeheartedly recommend this great program for all your audio player needs.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:08 PM   #2
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
I really like PT. I really don't like when I try to use the Shoutcast feature over Wi-Fi and it hard crashes my T3. They claim to have fixed it in the last 2 releases. Not so.
Advert
Old 08-23-2005, 06:13 PM   #3
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
Bookmarks are one of the greatest features of Audible.com content and the iPod supports bookmarks. Bookmarks in Pocket Tunes will be a great feature, especially for audiobook and podcast listeners. Most of my audio listening is to audiobooks and podcasts, so as a Pocket Tunes Deluxe user myself, I'm really looking forward to this update.

It looks like my iPod will be getting less use if my Zodiac becomes my primary audio device, and bookmarks are one thing that has kept me using my iPod.

Brian