Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
dhoyng
Tree Hugger
dhoyng began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Where to purchase fiction eBooks for PRS-505

Can you please give this newbie some suggestions for web sites that sell ebooks for the PRS-505 besides the Sony store. There's got to be somewhere less expensive. What format do they need to be so that I can easily download them and read them on my reader?

This forum could use a place to go for basic tips for those new to electronic readers. If that already exists, please point me in the right direction.
dhoyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See Newbie question, what formats can my Sony PRS 505 read?.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #3
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
If your reader is brand new or has been updated with the latest firmware you can buy Adobe PDF or EPUB books from any ebook store that sells them.
My favorite ebook store is BooksOnBoard as they have a large selection in both formats.
Fictionwise also sell PDFs as well as a number of other US based stores. See the top 5 ebook stores thread.
There is also whsmith's ebook store in the UK(see my recent post in deals, freebies forum) as they have a large (6700) epub collection and very large PDF collection as well.
You must have the latest version of Adobe Digital Editions installed and be registered with Adobe ID to download ebooks(pretty easy process) and then you should be set.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Also click "wiki" at the top of the page.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Also, some public libraries are now lending out eBooks at no charge. I've borrowed several from the Fairfax, VA library and had a good (free) read. Here's the link http://fairfax.lib.overdrive.com/9E8...en/Default.htm

And there are libraries in Ohio who do this. See the list in the Wiki here https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBoo...ies#Ohio_State
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2008, 12:48 AM   #6
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoyng View Post
Can you please give this newbie some suggestions for web sites that sell ebooks for the PRS-505 besides the Sony store. There's got to be somewhere less expensive. What format do they need to be so that I can easily download them and read them on my reader?
Welcome to mobileread.

My favorite bookstore for the Sony Reader is Fictionwise, but you should only look at their Multiformated ebooks. They also sell PDFs, which can be read on the PRS, but PDFs usually end up displayed in hard to read, tiny lettering (PDF is not really an ebook format). Fictionwise multiformated books can be downloaded for practically any eBook reader including the PRS. When you buy a multiformat book, the site lets you choose which format you want and stores a library of books you already bought so you can re-download any multiformated book later if you need to (even if you picked the wrong format the first time). But that only works with multiformated ebooks.

Fictionwise sells lots of short stories by famous writers plus works by new and lesser known writers. They also sell Fantasy, SF and mystery magazines. I mention these because they are less expensive than full-length books and there are some very good reads.

A good, free source for classics--in addition to Mobileread of course--is Feedbooks (http://www.feedbooks.com) where you can get out-of-copyright classics for the Sony Reader (BBeB format) or in ePUB format. I downloaded "War and Peace" for my PRS, but I'm still a long way from finishing it!

Happy reading!
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:50 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
My favorite bookstore for the Sony Reader is Fictionwise, but you should only look at their Multiformated ebooks.
That's not entirely true. Many people buy LIT books and convert them for the Sony. It takes under a minute to do and is very straightforward. The results are generally excellent.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:49 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Harry's correct on this.

I also buy .Lit books (in addition to the Multiformat) and convert them. It's a very simple process.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #9
GypsyWoman
Groupie
GypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony E Reader PRS-505/iTouch/Blackberry Curve-Pink
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
Welcome to mobileread.

My favorite bookstore for the Sony Reader is Fictionwise, but you should only look at their Multiformated ebooks. They also sell PDFs, which can be read on the PRS, but PDFs usually end up displayed in hard to read, tiny lettering (PDF is not really an ebook format). Fictionwise multiformated books can be downloaded for practically any eBook reader including the PRS. When you buy a multiformat book, the site lets you choose which format you want and stores a library of books you already bought so you can re-download any multiformated book later if you need to (even if you picked the wrong format the first time). But that only works with multiformated ebooks.

Fictionwise sells lots of short stories by famous writers plus works by new and lesser known writers. They also sell Fantasy, SF and mystery magazines. I mention these because they are less expensive than full-length books and there are some very good reads.

A good, free source for classics--in addition to Mobileread of course--is Feedbooks (http://www.feedbooks.com) where you can get out-of-copyright classics for the Sony Reader (BBeB format) or in ePUB format. I downloaded "War and Peace" for my PRS, but I'm still a long way from finishing it!

Happy reading!
Helllo!!

If I download a 'multi-formatted' ebook from Fictionwise, do I need to 'convert' it or do I have to 'tweak' it to read it on my 505? Or is it ready to read once it's loaded?
GypsyWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWoman View Post
Helllo!!

If I download a 'multi-formatted' ebook from Fictionwise, do I need to 'convert' it or do I have to 'tweak' it to read it on my 505? Or is it ready to read once it's loaded?
No... if you got a multi-format book in your bookshelf select "Sony Reader (LRF)" before you click on download and you will get a file that can just be transfered to the Sony... no conversions needed.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:07 PM   #11
GypsyWoman
Groupie
GypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony E Reader PRS-505/iTouch/Blackberry Curve-Pink
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
No... if you got a multi-format book in your bookshelf select "Sony Reader (LRF)" before you click on download and you will get a file that can just be transfered to the Sony... no conversions needed.

BOb
Thank you very much!!

I have a few books in my bookshelf now and I was hesitating but now I can load them.

GypsyWoman is offline   Reply With Quote