Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-23-2008, 10:13 AM   #46
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
And let's face it, HHG doesn't have a consistent canon in the way that Star Wars or LOTR does.
No, but the writing style and characters are fairly distinctive. Colfer might do better to explore the perspective of minor characters from the series.

I've generally been very disappointed with sequels written posthumously by other authors. (Great King's War and Fuzzy Bones spring to mind. I haven't even bothered with The Wizard of Karres.) Author-approved collaborations or "guest" writers are a different matter, especially when the guest authors explore an area or character that the original author did not.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:17 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Such works should, I think, be judged on their own merits, rather than as an imitation of the original author. That's perhaps easier said than done, though, as we must inevitably make a comparison with the original!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2008, 10:19 AM   #48
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Such works should, I think, be judged on their own merits, rather than as an imitation of the original author. That's perhaps easier said than done, though, as we must inevitably make a comparison with the original!
I disagree. Colfer's own works should be judged on their own merits, but when an author chooses to try to extend the work of another author, there is an implicit requirement that the new work be comparable to the old. Otherwise, why bother? (Apart from one or more people trying to make money, I mean.)

Last edited by nekokami; 09-23-2008 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Typo in author's name. No disrespect intended.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:21 AM   #49
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Quote:
If a book is called "Sixth book of the hitchhiker series" - then I *will* judge it according to the first five books. And yes, that means that it will be judged against the original author.
If they call it "a book in the hitchhiker universe" - thats a different kind of cake (or maybe even some kind of bread or whatever-else pastries). But even then - why not just continue with his own universe?

@nekokami:
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:25 AM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I disagree. Colfer's own works should be judged on their own merits, but when an author chooses to try to extend the work of another author, there is an implicit requirement that the new work be comparable to the old. Otherwise, why bother? (Apart from one or more people trying to make money, I mean.)
Being a commercial success is, of course, a prime motivation, and we shouldn't sneer at it; that's why the vast majority of books are published, of course.

I don't agree with you in saying that a new work should make a conscious attempt to immitate the writing style of the original author. To my mind, telling a good story set in the "world" created by the original author is sufficient. Better (IMHO) for a good author to write in his own style, rather than make an attempt to immitate someone else - an attempt which is probably doomed to failure.
Advert
Old 09-23-2008, 10:27 AM   #51
Redcard
Addict
Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I asked my roommate what he thought about this, and he said, "I'll judge it like I judged the six books of the Dune series." So then I said , "But wait, weren't there books written by F.."

"As I said, the six books of the Dune series."
Redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:28 AM   #52
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
I don't agree with you in saying that a new work should make a conscious attempt to immitate the writing style of the original author. To my mind, telling a good story set in the "world" created by the original author is sufficient. Better (IMHO) for a good author to write in his own style, rather than make an attempt to immitate someone else - an attempt which is probably doomed to failure.
But then it is not a Hitchhiker book. It is a pastich like Laurie King's Sherlock Holmes books. And such a book can of course be very good like the Laurie King books.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:30 AM   #53
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
I think Tirsales has made a good point. If the book is marketed as "a new book set in the Hitchhiker's Universe" I would agree with you; it would be better for Colfer to write in his own style. Hopefully that is the approach that will be taken, rather than setting expectations that this book will be a "sequel" to the others. That's why I hope Colfer will choose different main characters. If he writes about Arthur Dent, comparisons will be unavoidable. If, however, he chooses (for example) to write about Dent's child(ren), he would have considerably more leeway to express his own writing style
Old 09-23-2008, 11:48 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Oh well, just goes to show that we all have different views of these things.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:14 AM   #55
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
It's worth giving a try IMHO. It may be good, it may not be. I usually find most posthumous continuations lacking, but there are always exceptions to every rule.

Neither Poul Anderson's Conan nor Fritz Leiber's Tarzan really measured up to the originals-- but Karl Edward Wagner's Conan novel "The Road of Kings" was pretty good though it apparently suffered from editorial interference. Of course, I also liked Tuning's "Fuzzy Bones" better than Piper's actual third Fuzzy novel once it was finally found. The less said about Ardath Mayhar's "Golden Dreams: a Fuzzy Odyssey" the better.

I don't know if it will be like Hitchhiker, nor do I know if it will be good. But based on Colfer's reputation it will probably be at least readable which makes it worth picking up in a bookstore for a possible browse.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:27 PM   #56
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Funny, I haven't re-read Fuzzy Bones, but I've re-read Fuzzies and Other People several times. I guess that says something about which one I liked better... and I don't think it was just because of knowing it was really Piper's writing.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:32 PM   #57
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Funny, I haven't re-read Fuzzy Bones, but I've re-read Fuzzies and Other People several times. I guess that says something about which one I liked better... and I don't think it was just because of knowing it was really Piper's writing.
Interesting, I've only read Fuzzies and Other People once or twice where I've read most of Piper's other works upwards of a dozen times. I've read Fuzzy Bones at least half a dozen times.

I think it just shows no two people have identical tastes in reading.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:42 PM   #58
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Interesting, I've only read Fuzzies and Other People once or twice where I've read most of Piper's other works upwards of a dozen times. I've read Fuzzy Bones at least half a dozen times.

I think it just shows no two people have identical tastes in reading.
Yep-- which is fine!