Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
mattyb
mattyb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 2
Confusing display behaviour

Hi All,

I just got a new Kindle PaperWhite and installed Calibre. I am a little confused by how the PaperWhite organises the docs it receives from Calibre.

Calibre creates a periodical file from FT.com using the MOBI format at 5am.

If I load the file to the Kindle by USB, everything works. It goes into the Periodicals section. The issue date is displayed. Old issues are archived properly. The context menu for the file has the "keep this issue" and "delete this issue" commands. All is good.

If I email the file, the kindle downloads it and displays it in the Docs section. The cover image is shorter, but the correct issue date is displayed. The context menu has all the "issue" options, but there is no archiving, so all the issues pile up in the docs directory.

Why does this only work when loaded by USB? Is it possible to have emailed issues displayed in the Periodicals section?

Thanks for your help!
MB
mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
amazon auto converts all emailed files into personal documents, therefore if you want your periodicals treated as periodicals you have to use the USB method.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
mattyb
mattyb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 2
Thanks so much for clarifying that for me. And keep up the good work -- what a great program! Thank you!
mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote