Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-08-2013, 04:37 AM   #46
kindleBunny
Bunny
kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Not without hacking into it and replacing the thumbnail. No matter what you change it to, it would still be the same for every collection.
And how does one do that? Is there anyone who can make a tutorial? I am sure I won't be the only one grateful
kindleBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:54 AM   #47
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Not without hacking into it and replacing the thumbnail. No matter what you change it to, it would still be the same for every collection.
I would be perfectly happy to have the same image for all collections, as long as it's one I choose rather than the fuggly one that's currently there...
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2013, 05:18 AM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindleBunny View Post
And how does one do that? Is there anyone who can make a tutorial? I am sure I won't be the only one grateful
The "Developers' Corner" subforum would be the best place to make this request.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #49
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Ok, I explicitly do not recommend doing this, but if you really, really want to, below are the instructions to replace the collections image.

Note that this is not for the faint of heart, as it involves quite a few steps, and you have to do everything correctly. It is *very* easy to turn a Paperwhite into a brick, and there is currently *no* known method to debrick an utterly broken PW. So if you screw it up, you might screw it up for good and not be able to get the PW back to life.

What's more, if you do this sort of modification, future updates might fail because the device contains modified system files.

You have been warned. And now, if you insist on doing it, here's how:
  1. Jailbreak the Kindle.
  2. Install usbnetwork.
  3. Copy /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/app_utilities.jar from the Kindle to your PC.
  4. That file is essentially a zip file, so you can unzip it.
  5. Replace the files "com/amazon/kindle/apps/util/resources/assets/yoshime3/icn_Collection.png" and "com/amazon/kindle/apps/util/resources/assets/yoshime3/icn_Collection_dtcp.png" with the images you want. (No, I don't really know which one does what, or what dtcp means).
  6. Pack everything back together into app_utilities.jar, and copy it back to the Kindle.
  7. Pray that you did everything correctly, and reboot. (Or, to be on the slightly safer side, execute "restart framework" from a shell on the Kindle).

I repeat it again: if you do the above, you're essentially on your own. You have to be positive that you really understand what you are doing, and that you are doing it correctly, before doing it.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #50
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Ixtab, thanks. I know that, for me, your warning is quite enough for ME to never attempt it.

Blossom, I know you are very intent on making sure you have working TOC. I have been learning how to do that. Using the Sigil plugin with Calibre makes it much easier. Sometimes. I really think you might benefit from trying it out yourself.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #51
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Blossom, I know you are very intent on making sure you have working TOC. I have been learning how to do that. Using the Sigil plugin with Calibre makes it much easier. Sometimes. I really think you might benefit from trying it out yourself.
Using Xpath expressions is usually enough to do that in Calibre unless the Chapter headers are in plain text (with the exceptions of numbers or caps) then I may have to mark them using Word which only takes a couple minutes to do.

I really don't care for Sigil. I tried it out in the past and found it slow and buggy.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #52
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I'm learning to use the xpath expressions. I'll use those if I can, if not, I can mess around with the coding, in Sigil, add tags if I need to, click the "generate from headings" bar. Sometimes it takes both programs. What I like about the Sigil program, I can edit the epub in Sigil right from Calibre.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #53
kindleBunny
Bunny
kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindleBunny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Ok, I explicitly do not recommend doing this, but if you really, really want to, below are the instructions to replace the collections image.
I repeat it again: if you do the above, you're essentially on your own. You have to be positive that you really understand what you are doing, and that you are doing it correctly, before doing it.
Okay, good to know. Thanks I will stay out of it.
kindleBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #54
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
That's a good idea, xendula. I'll try with the same books and see what happens.

No, still screwed up. Lost formatting, sections out of order....a mess! Maybe it's just those stories.
I tried epubmerge with a few of my series last night, and they are all in the correct order. To have 6 books take up one single slot on my home screen with a pretty cover is awesome.

However, I did not do any type of formatting cleanup on the originals, and only adjusted the metadata to get the series name and installment number generated. Maybe your clean-up leaves undesired traces that mess up the epubmerge plugin?
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #55
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
It is *very* easy to turn a Paperwhite into a brick, and there is currently *no* known method to debrick an utterly broken PW. So if you screw it up, you might screw it up for good and not be able to get the PW back to life.
That said, I am in complete amazement that people like you even have the guts to play around with their devices kudos to you!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #56
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
That said, I am in complete amazement that people like you even have the guts to play around with their devices kudos to you!

It's a matter of risk assessment. I tend to believe that by now, I know those devices rather well, I (usually ) understand what I'm about to try, and I normally have one or two "safety nets" in place. But of course, there's no guarantee that my PW won't end up being bricked - which is why I'm still treating it much like a raw egg. At least in comparison to the K4 and KT - with the debricking methods which are by now available for these devices, you really have to try very hard to break them for good. So it's generally safe to try even the most adventurous stuff on a K4 or KT, as they can be recovered in 5 minutes. But not so for the Paperwhite.

(The simple reason is that the K4 and KT can be booted into a mode which allows to re-flash the device, while the Paperwhite can't - or at least, nobody knows how).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote