Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-13-2013, 06:50 AM   #1
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur
anthony.burton4 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Bulk removal of rating field

I have a custom field which uses the rating (1-5) datatype.

How can I use the bulk edit screen to set books to unrated?

If I select all the books, go tot he edit screen, enter 0 stars, or leave it saying unrated and check the apply changes box, nothing happens. I can only get it to work when ALL of the selected books have the same rating, eg. I select all the 5 star rated books and set them to 0.
anthony.burton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
(The Normal) 'Rating' is a spinbox, which has a choices of:Unchanged, 0,1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (stars)
There is no prior condition required.
Are you trying to use Search and Replace to make this change instead of the 'Custom Metadata' Tab?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur

Can't use Search & Replace for this operation as the field does not appear in the list.

I'll repeat the scenario to avoid confusion.

I have 2 books, one marked with 5 stars, one with 2 stars.

I select both the books and open up the bulk edit screen.

The custom field I want to reset is currently displaying "unrated".
Attempt#1: I check the "Apply changes" checkbox next to this field and click Apply.
The data is unchanged.
Attempt#2: I set the field to 0 stars and check the "Apply changes" box and click apply.
The data is unchanged.

Anyway - I've found a workaround now - should have spotted this before.
If I set both books to 1 star and click apply, and then set it to unrated and click apply, the field is successfully set to unrated. I just can't go directly from a mixed result set to unrated for some reason...

Note a similar thing happens with text based custom fields too - however I use the search and replace with a "(.*)" regex expression to empty them so I've worked around the problem.

Using calibre 64 bit 0.9.16

Last edited by anthony.burton4; 02-13-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony.burton4 View Post
Can't use Search & Replace for this operation as the field does not appear in the list.

I'll repeat the scenario to avoid confusion.

I have 2 books, one marked with 5 stars, one with 2 stars.

I select both the books and open up the bulk edit screen.

The custom field I want to reset is currently displaying "unrated".
Attempt#1: I check the "Apply changes" checkbox next to this field and click Apply.
The data is unchanged.
Attempt#2: I set the field to 0 stars and check the "Apply changes" box and click apply.
The data is unchanged.

Anyway - I've found a workaround now - should have spotted this before.
If I set both books to 1 star and click apply, and then set it to unrated and click apply, the field is successfully set to unrated. I just can't go directly from a mixed result set to unrated for some reason...

Note a similar thing happens with text based custom fields too - however I use the search and replace with a "(.*)" regex expression to empty them so I've worked around the problem.

Using calibre 64 bit 0.9.16
Something is odd.
Anytime I set a value in a field, the box for that field automatically ticks.

Search and replace: Custom fields start with a # and usually appear at the top of the list
Old 02-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur

Rating fields do not appear in the Search and Replace screen.

It should be reasonably straightforward to reproduce my problem.
Advert
Old 02-13-2013, 10:58 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Rating fields do not appear in the Search and Replace screen.

It should be reasonably straightforward to reproduce my problem.
You have me confused
You said a CUSTOM rating field.

OK
I just tested for you on 9.18 XP Pro SP3

I set random (1-5)stars in 5 books
Then I selected all those books and tapped E for bulk edit mode.
I then used the spin box to set to '0 Stars' (default is unchanged)
Clicked Apply
Clicked OK to exit.
A 5 books are now back at 0 (I don't use ratings)
Old 02-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur

I said exactly what I meant - perhaps you're not familiar with custom fields though?

Standard fields behave correctly.
Custom fields do not.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I said exactly what I meant - perhaps you're not familiar with custom fields though?

Standard fields behave correctly.
Custom fields do not.
I don't have a Custom Rating type field, so I could not say.

What I find surprising is one of the prime developers has not stepped in on this question.

(Note: I have been using Custom fields since they first appeared. Users are always finding new ways to use things that the developers did not envision. )
Old 02-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You will have to wait till chaley gets back, custom fields are his bailiwick, though looking at the dialog, I'm guessing you forgot to check the "apply changes" checkbox to the right of the custom rating field.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 02-14-2013 at 11:12 AM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote