Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #301
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Someone seems to be having fun with the release directory names.
Nah, just a Leafs fan not realizing that their team is due for a quick exit from the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:50 AM   #302
Reaper1242
Reaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
WARNING: Make sure you are loading the correct version of the firmware for your particular device. Yes, this means the one you are holding in your hands.

Please also be aware that SameerH, the Kobo product manager, made a veiled threat in a post after the 2.4 came out that there may be additional problems with sideloading firmware in the future.
Thought I'd just drop my 2 cents about this in the hopes that SameerH or anyone from Kobo might read it.

If Kobo released versions quicker we wouldn't need to sideload. As it stands, in South Africa you still can't get 2.4 through official channels, never mind 2.4b. We probably won't see 2.5 until 2 versions after it's been released.
I understand the need to stagger releases but if some users are still not getting them 2 months later then you need to evaluate it.

And after all that I really doubt they'll ever read this or care.
Reaper1242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #303
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Is it possible to add a script to the Kobo Tweaks hack that checks for the model, version or revision number of the device? So it's easy to see which Touch model you own? The old or newer model.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #304
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I know, this is not direct answer to your question, but maybe useful. The model number is printed on the device, next to the USB slot, it is also available in settings/device information.
If you really need to have it read and further used by a script, have a look at the file named "version" in the .kobo folder.

Last edited by tshering; 04-17-2013 at 03:37 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:34 AM   #305
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Excuse me for the probably silly question, but Sameer Hasan refers to the sideloading of "unofficial" releases, or to the sideloading in general? Since I must sideload firmware with a Linux OS.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2013, 03:45 AM   #306
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Sameer is referring to sideloading any firmware version. It isn't supported. The two methods that are supported are via the desktop application or WiFi. For Linux uses, that only leaves the WiFi option. But, so long as you pay attention, sideloading the firmware is very safe.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #307
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
thanks for the new firmware link.
I installed it and it works fine
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #308
kzik
kzik began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo / Aura H2O
Kobo Glo - 3rd party firmware?

I've had three software updates to my Kobo Glo since purchase. Overall, I'm pretty dissappointed with every one of them. This is a reader... it doesn't require doing anything that would require crashing. Ever.
The hardware seems decent enough, though.

Are there any 3rd party rebuild projects for the software?
kzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:28 PM   #309
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Apparently 2.5.1 is out now.
Anyone got a link?
Old 04-24-2013, 06:39 AM   #310
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Ha! Finally got one myself!

Mark 4:
http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...date-2.5.1.zip

Mark 3:
http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...date-2.5.1.zip
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:50 AM   #311
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
leafs2013? Is that Leafs fan still delusional?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #312
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
I'm waiting for my kobo aura HD to arrive, and I already have the glo, but if kobo blocks firmware side loading, then I would never again order a kobo reader or ebook. Also I strongly hope side loaded dictionaries are re-enabled.
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #313
danskmacabre
Guru

Thanx Murg!
Old 04-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #314
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I performed a very basic test with the Aura: created a KoboRoot.tgz file that contained an empty file called /mnt/onboard/test.txt. The update was applied successfully and the file appeared on the Aura. Side-loaded updates are still available.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:17 PM   #315
3dguyz
3dguyz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
KOBO

Just to make it a bit more simple to a person WITH OUT Linux is there a modified koboroot.tgz

just want my strangely not working KOBO (updates every fordats blowing away all books settings and back to an old 1.9.9 "firmware" - sent it to kobo NOTHING is wrong with it so I am at the end of my rope

Any help is good THANK you GUYS!
3dguyz is offline   Reply With Quote