Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-03-2012, 06:40 AM   #121
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Yes, 300 phones would be ok. They have made repeated tests, which is why they are even thinking about loosening the restrictions.
Again, links? Who did the tests? Where are the results?
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:45 AM   #122
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
We've had enough flights and air miles with enough personal electronics on during them for it to support my "no crashes" more than your "it might crash." It comes down to statistics and convenience. Your threshold of risk is different than mine. The so-called experts are going to err on the side of lowest-risk.
So you are an expert because you have flown?

I have yet to see a scientific study that shows no risk.

I do know of instances where interference WAS seen. And when certain devices were turned off, the interference went away, and came back when the devices were turned on.

Quote:
Crews have anecdotally reported numerous issues linked to computers or devices on board, such as erroneous warnings on collision-avoidance systems, heavy static on radio frequencies and false readings on instrument landing systems, according to NASA's Aviation Safety Reporting System, a database to which crews submit voluntary incident reports.

In some instances, crews caught passengers talking on a phone or using a computer when they weren't supposed to. The crews were able to end interference by shutting down the device. Turning it back on recreated the problem, suggesting a possible link. (Even if you are far from the cockpit, you may be sitting near an antenna.) But attempts to duplicate interference with cockpit gear in laboratories failed.

In a study published in 2006, researchers at Carnegie Mellon University who rode 37 airline flights with a radio-frequency measuring device found emissions from cellphones that could interfere with global-positioning satellite systems. And the nonprofit RTCA Inc., which advises the FAA on technical issues, said in a lengthy study in 2008 that emissions from transmitting personal electronic devices, or T-PEDS, could interfere with critical aircraft systems.
Advert
Old 04-03-2012, 06:47 AM   #123
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lister View Post
which proves nothing except they haven't yet caused a crash, as far as we know, with the current policies in place.
People using the WCs haven't caused crashes either. Is the danger level about as high as using an electronic device?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #124
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
We've had enough flights and air miles with enough personal electronics on during them for it to support my "no crashes" more than your "it might crash." It comes down to statistics and convenience. Your threshold of risk is different than mine. The so-called experts are going to err on the side of lowest-risk.
As well they should. I suspect the individual airlines are happy with the current policy and have no desire to see the FAA relax the policy or pass it off to the airlines for them to decide. As it stands now, the airlines can pass the 'blame' on to the FAA.

As an aside: Perhaps they're happy about it for reasons that have less to do with the electronic interference and more to do with crowd control; passenger control during those highly critical periods of take-off and landing.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #125
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
As an aside: Perhaps they're happy about it for reasons that have less to do with the electronic interference and more to do with crowd control; passenger control during those highly critical periods of take-off and landing.
... when everyone is strapped into their seats, and pretty easy to control?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #126
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Pinecone, where did I say I was an expert? The evidence I suggested is from you, me, and every other flier on Earth surviving our flights for decades. The ones who didn't were not killed by personal electronics. Not sure why you choose to go ad hominem on me rather than addressing that very simple fact.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #127
Pinecone
Guru

Quote:
Pinecone, where did I say I was an expert? The evidence I suggested is from you, me, and every other flier on Earth surviving our flights for decades. The ones who didn't were not killed by personal electronics. Not sure why you choose to go ad hominem on me rather than addressing that very simple fact.
You are the one that keeps using the term "so-called experts." Then offering your opinion that they are wrong. So that implies that you know more than they do.

And it is not true that everyone has survived flying with all the personal electronic devices for decades. As most of them were not available decades ago. Hard to believe but 20 years ago, people did not carry cell phones, and laptops, and ereaders, and MP3 playes (Walkman maybe), etc, etc, etc.

And thousands of people survive texting while driving every day, does that make it safe to do so?
Old 04-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #128
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
You'd think so but given the number of times a plane has to turn around on a runway to eject some unruly passenger who won't follow instructions, it must be harder than imagined.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #129
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
You'd think so but given the number of times a plane has to turn around on a runway to eject some unruly passenger who won't follow instructions, it must be harder than imagined.
I've never seen this happen. But I did sit in front of a kid who had nothing better to do than kick my chair. I wish he would have had a device to play with.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #130
Rob Lister
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
I've never seen this happen.
Nevertheless, it happens. You just don't hear about it unless it is extreme or someone famous is involved.

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/al...ng-games-33360

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyl...not-the-first/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...seatbelts.html

http://www.castanet.net/news/World/7...ane-for-attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
But I did sit in front of a kid who had nothing better to do than kick my chair. I wish he would have had a device to play with.
Maybe it's not about you.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #131
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
You have never been on a plane in China, lol. Can't count the times somebody tried to get up during take off to get something from the overhead bin or because they suddenly need to go to the bathroom.

And there are countless other stories to tell.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #132
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Texting while driving is a bad analogy because many crashes have been attributed to it. It appears we have different thresholds of risk because I see way more than enough air miles with today's devices without crashes attributed to them to feel plenty safe allowing them on planes.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote