Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-17-2011, 04:35 AM   #1
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
PRS+.... ?

I keep seeing references to PRS+ for the 350/650 .

Now I assume it's an add-on/custom bag of tricks to improve the PRS functions and capabilities.
I like the talk of being able to change the default size of the fonts, which makes small more useable.
Firstly, can I access it in UK ? And secondly, can it lead to any problems? (I speak here with readers still in warranty - so would it negate the position with regard to claiming ? Yes, I know it's not usually a useful exercise, but I think we have more consumer rights weapons at our disposal over here...)

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited by carpetmojo; 08-17-2011 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Can't spell early in a.m.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:57 AM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I'm such a chicken when it comes to modifying somthing I love and use a lot, like my PRS350. However, I decided to take the plunge a few weeks ago and installed PRS+. Could not be much easier! There is also a utility available to restore to stock firmware, should you want to. Equally easy!
I dare not speak about warranties (mine is a US device, so I don't have much to hope for when it comes to warranty anyway).
I use the PRS+ to add a font that I really like, and really not much more. But for that alone, I think its' more than worth doing!
Link to the PRS+ installation utility is in the developer's section. I think user Mark Nord har links in his signature ( i.e. every post he makes).
Another user, Anamardol has an excellent description how to put in new fonts.
A third user, Delphin (?) has provided my favourite font (Nimbus Mod)
I'll see if I can find links for you!

Edit: I was wrong about Mark Nord's signature. Must be thinking of someone else...

Last edited by Asawi; 08-17-2011 at 05:00 AM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2011, 05:05 AM   #3
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PRS+:
http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/
Anamardolls blog with description:
http://www.anamardoll.com/2011/06/er...tion-with.html
Delphin's post about NimbusMod. It includes instructions how to use the embedded font in the "through the looking glass" file he posts: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=139479&page=2
Old 08-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
I have got as far as downloading the code and the css files with fonts that was posted here a couple of weeks ago.

I am still debating with myself about installing it all as my 650 is only a couple of months old, and, like you, I'm a little concerned about the warranty situation should I need to return it for service for whatever reason.

I know that it's possible to restore the original firmware but if your device is broken that might not be possible.

To be honest I am perfectly happy with the way the 650 works at the moment and the default font is fine, so I'm not really sure I would get a lot from it anyway.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Asawi.
Advert
Old 08-18-2011, 07:29 AM   #6
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
To be honest I am perfectly happy with the way the 650 works at the moment and the default font is fine, so I'm not really sure I would get a lot from it anyway.
If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
Old 08-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
My thoughts exactly.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Edit: I was wrong about Mark Nord's signature. Must be thinking of someone else...
It's kartu, the author of PRS+, and his signature links to his projectpage.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:36 PM   #9
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
It's kartu, the author of PRS+, and his signature links to his projectpage.
I knew that! Sort of...
Old 08-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #10
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I did install the PRS+ for my 650, and the process was incredibly simple. I did change back to the original firmware, however. I didn't find that there was anything that PRS+ (while wonderful) did for me that the original firmware didn't. I only load my books through Calibre, so the nested folders wasn't an issue for me, I can't be bothered to change the font, so that was moot as well.
Despite my own lack of use for PRS+, it's fantastic for those who would like the features it provides. Give it a shot, and if you don't need those features, restore the original firmware. Nothing simpler.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:55 PM   #11
carpetmojo
Wizard

Thanks everyone, I shall investigate as suggested.