Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
NLight95
Connoisseur
NLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Convert azw to epub or pdf?

In using calibre which file format is better for azw conversion--to ePub or to PDF?

I will be buying books from Amazon and converting them over to use on my PRS-950.
NLight95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
PDF is a terrible ebook format - only use it if you have no choice.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
NLight95
Connoisseur
NLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
PDF is a terrible ebook format - only use it if you have no choice.
Is it because it's not formatted for e-book devices and there are many text reflow issues?

I'm thinking about converting any PDFs I have over to ePub.
NLight95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:15 AM   #4
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLight95 View Post
Is it because it's not formatted for e-book devices and there are many text reflow issues?

Exactly correct. Your format of choice is ePUB and Calibre will convert to that very well for you.

However PDF to any format is often hit and miss. I would recommend opening up the PDF files that are proving difficult to convert in Calibre into Mobipocket Creator and convert to MOBI. Then Calibre can do the final conversion to ePUB. I use this often when converting stubborn PDF's.

In the main though, Calibre converts PDF's to true ebook formats very well indeed.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:24 AM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Pdf to Epub is also a choice for a converter as well as you can choose either epub, html or kindle as your format. I have some I'm trying to convert from PDF to Epub now. They don't have a working TOC though so Sigil is something I'm using to put that in. PDF to Epub was free for a bit, but I have no idea what it costs now.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2011, 06:04 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLight95 View Post

Fundamentally yes. The whole point about PDF technology is that it is intended that the originator completely controls the layout and the end-user cannot change that.

If you have a PDF that:

a) was formatted for exactly the resolution of your device

b) you are not interested in ever changing the font size

then a PDF file can be OK for an e-reader.

However the vast majority of existing PDF files will break down on assumption a) and for most users assumption b) is one of the features they like to be able to use on an ebook.

Having said that, conversion from PDF to a format more suitable to ebooks can be a bit hit-and-miss both in terms of making sure the content transfers over correctly and even more so in terms of any formatting. Therefore despite the fact that it is not the ideal format for an ebook there might still be times it is the best you are going to get for a particular book that you already have available only in PDF format.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote