Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-29-2011, 03:41 PM   #1
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Updating meta offline, syncing when Kindle connected?

Hi,

One thing I can't figure out how to do (if at all possible) with Calibre is...

I often alter the metadata of a title, maybe adding a cover or change some other information. Is there a way of reflecting this change in my Calibre library with the version of the book on my Kindle when I connect it? If so, will you please put me out of my misery?

Cheers,
Leaston
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:56 AM   #2
iridius
Connoisseur
iridius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone (to get Dell Streak & iPad)
That's true, and something I'd like too, although, if I understand correctly the only metadata I see on my Kindle is the Title, Author and Cover, is that the metadata you're talking about? Because I don't see tags, genre or comments or anything else.
iridius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2011, 06:40 AM   #3
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I do change Title, Author and Cover. But, I also often alter details using the Calibre Metadata series plugboard.

If I could just update the Kindle with the changes I make in Calibre, I'd be a happy bunny
Old 05-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No there isn't. You have to resend the book. And that is because Amazon provides no access to the metadata database over a USB connection. Use a SONY if you want this functionality.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
leaston
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No there isn't. You have to resend the book. And that is because Amazon provides no access to the metadata database over a USB connection. Use a SONY if you want this functionality.
Ahh, I see. It's a pity they don't as it would be a nice feature to have. I like Sony about as much as I like Apple, so there's little chance I'll buy any of their products. Kindle rules

Thanks for taking time to reply, much appreciated. And long live Calibre
Advert
Old 05-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaston View Post
I like Sony about as much as I like Apple, so there's little chance I'll buy any of their products. Kindle rules
Kindles might rule and truthfully you can read books fine on virtually all ebook readers. But the combination of Sony readers and Calibre currently can't be beat for features and ease of use. I'm just glad I stumbled into buying a Sony two years ago.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:36 PM   #7
omgfire
Enthusiast
omgfire began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Ipod Touch 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Would this be possible with the Kobo wi-fi? I have a lot of books I would like to update the metadata for since the new download feature was added. I don't want to delete a few hundred random out of order books in my library. It would just be a lot of work to delete and re-add them all.
omgfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:50 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgfire View Post
Would this be possible with the Kobo wi-fi?
Maybe, I'd like to see the answer to this.

Quote:
It would just be a lot of work to delete and re-add them all.
Hard work???? I'm not familiar with the Kobo but how hard can it be to delete the books from the device, then select them in calibre and click send to device?
Old 05-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #9
omgfire
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Maybe, I'd like to see the answer to this.

Hard work???? I'm not familiar with the Kobo but how hard can it be to delete the books from the device, then select them in calibre and click send to device?
I have almost 1000 books, and I plan on editing the meta data for at least 700 of them.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:37 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
I have almost 1000 books, and I plan on editing the meta data for at least 700 of them.
True, editing metadata is tedious work, I can empathize the work ahead of you. But editing metadata in books wasn't the root of the statement. If the metadata on the device doesn't update automatically then updating the metadata on the device is as simple as deleting and resending the file.

Good Luck
Old 05-06-2011, 11:43 PM   #11
omgfire
Enthusiast

Quote:
True, editing metadata is tedious work, I can empathize the work ahead of you. But editing metadata in books wasn't the root of the statement. If the metadata on the device doesn't update automatically then updating the metadata on the device is as simple as deleting and resending the file.

Good Luck
I'm not sure exactly what books I plan on editing, but I guess I could go through my kobo first and delete the ones to edit off of it. Then I could go through my calibre library and edit the books not on my device, then re-send them. I'll wait until tomorrow to do it and see if maybe there is another way.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:16 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
I'm not sure exactly what books I plan on editing, but I guess I could go through my kobo first and delete the ones to edit off of it. Then I could go through my calibre library and edit the books not on my device, then re-send them. I'll wait until tomorrow to do it and see if maybe there is another way.
I'm confused by you're work flow, just edit the books in your calibre library and when they're ready, delete the book from the device and send it fresh, should take all of a few minutes to actually delete and send them fresh.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #13
omgfire
Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm confused by you're work flow, just edit the books in your calibre library and when they're ready, delete the book from the device and send it fresh, should take all of a few minutes to actually delete and send them fresh.
I'm not sure what books I plan on editing so unless I wrote them all down after editing them I wouldn't remember all the ones that needed to be deleted off my kobo.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #14
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Would the Book Sync plugin suit your workflow? I use that to queue books that need sending to my Sony when it is next plugged in. I do not know if it would work as well with the Kindle.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote