Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-18-2010, 11:53 PM   #1
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Fictionwise Formatting - [Back to Table of Contents]

I just bought a couple more books from Fictionwise just now (50% off sale). But like the previous ones I've bought, after every chapter there is a line that says

[Back to Table of Contents]

Is this standard practice on their books? I thought maybe it was just the publisher (as all my previous books from there were all in the same series - the Ethshar ones by Lawrence Watt-Evans).

But the two books I just bought were from different authors and publishers. But they have the same sort of formatting.

It's in the mobi versions and epub (I guess they use the same source - epub?)

Is there any reason why they do this? Is it an epub thing that epub readers automatically ignore? (I know I haven't seen it in epubs from Baen at least).

Anyway, it's not that big a deal to go in with Sigil and remove it and make a new ToC and convert in Calibre. 5-10 minutes maybe. But still, I just am curious why it is like that in the first place. Surely I can't be the only one that is annoyed by that at the end of a chapter...
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:55 AM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Fictionwise auto-converts its MultiFormat offerings to ePub (and likely Mobi) using Calibre, as you can see when you unzip the ePubs. It's probably a setting they've put in. Some of the older Baen Calibre-generated ePubs have this, too (Born to Run in the Free Library, I think).
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
Mura35
Mammarella
Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-Reader, iPad
It's a link to the Table of Contents. Could be helpful sometimes. In anthologies, for example.
I don't think every book from FW has the same formatting.
Doesn't really bother me to the point where I don't even notice the said lines.
(I personally prefer pdfs)
Mura35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Yeah, but it just seemed redundant, since all you have to do to go to the TOC (at least on a Kindle) is hit a couple buttons (though I wish they had a dedicated button for it, actually).
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
Mura35
Mammarella
Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mura35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-Reader, iPad
There are other eBook devices out there, like Sony eReader. All of them are somewhat different, so, I assume, it would be only wise to try and accommodate as many of them as possible.
By the way, have an issue with percentage while using Kindle. I never know what PAGE I am on. What's THAT all about? Who came up with the idea???? O.o
Mura35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert