Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-06-2010, 05:14 PM   #16
darkadept
darkadept began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
I just used SQLite Expert -- free graphical sqlite program -- and opened up the database to delete dozens of the freebie books -- worked great.
Just make sure you delete the corresponding book and chapter entries in the "content" table and the entries in "volume_shortcovers" and "shortcover_page" as well.

There is also an XML file that contains the id's of book on the device but I haven't looked into that yet.

While the Kobo and the desktop software *should* work with a out if sync database having cluttering entries in the database is less than optimal.
darkadept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:43 PM   #17
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Deleting the book and chapter entries in the "content" table does give a pleasing result, i.e. the books no longer show up in the directory on the Kobo. However, since the stuff is still in there, the database doesn't get any smaller. I don't know much about databases; I'm trying to figure out some sqlite routine that will get all of the linked chapter and page entries to go away (because doing it manually sure would take time -- well maybe not for a single book).
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:21 AM   #18
karenv
karenv began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Reader, iPhone
And, if this is a stupid question as well, I apologise.... When you are finished will it be fairly easy for techno-wienies to figure out? And, I have a Mac.

Last edited by karenv; 05-07-2010 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Forgot something
karenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:04 AM   #19
yawar
yawar began at the beginning.

Hi karenv,

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenv View Post
And, if this is a stupid question as well, I apologise.... When you are finished will it be fairly easy for techno-wienies to figure out? And, I have a Mac.
It's still in very early development but I am following along and trying out whatever darkadept is putting up. The program runs for me on my Mac but there are a few issues (for example, see https://bugs.launchpad.net/koboko/+bug/576793). I'll try to work on getting it to run properly, hopefully this weekend.
yawar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #20
HarryH
Enthusiast
HarryH began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Version 1 firmware v 1.8.3
kobo sqlite db

I am not in the db mode , looked at the db with Sqlite Expert

Not sure what to delete , I would like to tidy bu the db and my 'I am reading' page ... Have found this forum interesting

Impressed with the Kobo , but as mentioned , needs some fine tuning

Harry
HarryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #21
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I removed a lot of stuff from the "I'm Reading" view by the following SQL

Code:
update content 
     set readstatus = 2 
where 
     ReadStatus = 0 and 
     Publisher = 'Gutenberg' and 
     booktitle is null
It's still all on the Kobe; just now marked as finished.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #22
darkadept

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I removed a lot of stuff from the "I'm Reading" view by the following SQL

Code:
update content 
     set readstatus = 2 
where 
     ReadStatus = 0 and 
     Publisher = 'Gutenberg' and 
     booktitle is null
It's still all on the Kobe; just now marked as finished.
If the readstatus is 0 you just need to set FirstTimeReading to true.
I'm not sure why they use both ReadStatus and FirstTimeReading but they do.

You can try queries like this:
Code:
UPDATE content SET ReadStatus=0, FirstTimeReading='True'
WHERE BookTitle is NULL and Title like '%A Book Title%'
Just replace A Book Title with the title of your book. The percent signs act as wildcards. You can remove them as you wish.

This will set the book as completely unread and new to the kobo.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #23
darkadept

I've moved the wiki for Koboko to http://wiki.durbn.net/koboko/index.php/Main_Page. Anyone can edit it.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:22 AM   #24
davidkettle
Enthusiast
davidkettle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Another tool for editing Sqllite databases

For anyone who wants to try, here's an open-source tool for editing Sqllite databases:

http://sqlitebrowser.sourceforge.net/

But I feel it's only fair to note that you can probably render your Kobo totally unuseable if you screw up the database on it. You should back it up before making any changes to it yourself.

I haven't tried this myself, although I would like to reverse-engineer the thing a little, just out of curiosity.
davidkettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:37 AM   #25
darkadept

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkettle View Post
For anyone who wants to try, here's an open-source tool for editing Sqllite databases:

http://sqlitebrowser.sourceforge.net/

But I feel it's only fair to note that you can probably render your Kobo totally unuseable if you screw up the database on it. You should back it up before making any changes to it yourself.

I haven't tried this myself, although I would like to reverse-engineer the thing a little, just out of curiosity.
Here's a wiki I've been using to deconstruct the database. Feel free to add to it: http://wiki.durbn.net/koboko/index.php/DBSchemaV2.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:38 AM   #26
Ghoda
Enthusiast
Ghoda is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo, Kobo for iPhone, Aluratek Libre
Awesome info darkadapt - it helped me to remove a lot of the kruft books I didn't want and get some 60mb of storage back. I have figured out the format of the .parsed files and posted a quick description here. Feel free to add it to your site
Ghoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:52 AM   #27
darkadept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoda View Post
Awesome info darkadapt - it helped me to remove a lot of the kruft books I didn't want and get some 60mb of storage back. I have figured out the format of the .parsed files and posted a quick description here. Feel free to add it to your site
Thanks! I've added that information to the wiki and added a section detailing the folder layout on the device.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #28
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Firefox SQLite add-on

I have been finding this Firefox SQLite manager add-on very useful and speedy:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5817/
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:53 PM   #29
HarryH
Enthusiast
HarryH began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Version 1 firmware v 1.8.3
hi

I have a sqlite database browser om my linux machine , it opens in a three tab window (KoboReader.sqlite), structure , browse data and execute sql.. in the first tab is the sql tree , the second the contents data, all 4737 entries.. there is a delete record item on the upper right .. The file is a copy on my HD , not on my reader, If I mess it up not a problem .. Looking for a few ideas on what to do ...

And if it is possible to remove/ edit all the entries... how is or what happens if it is copied on the Kobo reader

Harry
HarryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:46 PM   #30
darkadept

I've expanded on my initial findings at my wiki (http://wiki.durbn.net/koboko/index.php/DBSchemaV2). Feel free to add what you know as well.