Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-25-2009, 02:47 PM   #46
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Yes, I respect the law but I do not respect her wishes since I think they are bad for eBooks and bad for everybody. And calling people low-lifes because they do not respect a certain position is strange and insulting.
if you read Harry's post, you'd see he agrees with you that her position on ebooks is crap.

And they are lowlifes because they are stealing. Stealing is not OK. Even if you are stealing from someone you don't like.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:01 PM   #47
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
the Uploader of that book is a Low Life.
software Piracy is okay in my opinion, Selling a Pirated item is not only Illegal. its Morally wrong.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:09 PM   #48
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
if you read Harry's post, you'd see he agrees with you that her position on ebooks is crap.

And they are lowlifes because they are stealing. Stealing is not OK. Even if you are stealing from someone you don't like.
Well, I asked it similar things hold for all law breakers but the answer was that breaking this law was for some reason worse and the argument for that I read to be that it was because her wish was not respected. But I might have misunderstood the point.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #49
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Well, I asked it similar things hold for all law breakers but the answer was that breaking this law was for some reason worse and the argument for that I read to be that it was because her wish was not respected. But I might have misunderstood the point.
I think in this case it is particularly bad because amazon is probably going to get in trouble for this, plus people got duped (it would be one thing if it was on ebay, but amazon?)
Old 01-25-2009, 03:41 PM   #50
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think in this case it is particularly bad because amazon is probably going to get in trouble for this, plus people got duped (it would be one thing if it was on ebay, but amazon?)
I actually think it might be very good since it will cause publicity and this will probably work in favor of ebooks. It will be especially good if a lot of people bought the book since it will show that there is a demand.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:04 AM   #51
TwiSteDCBloSsoM
Enthusiast
TwiSteDCBloSsoM doesn't litterTwiSteDCBloSsoM doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I hope it shows her that people would REALLY appreciate her series in ebook format. Maybe it might make her consider it so she can at least get the money for it rather than some person taking illegal courses to sell them.

It kinda reminded me of the first day I got my reader and I was browsing in the Sony Store. The only books from my collection that I couldn't get from there were the Harry Potter books. It was kind of disappointing considering how popular the books are.

Hopefully in the next year or two publishers will realize that ebooks are here to stay.
Though another idea that would be nice would be for publishers to offer the ebook with the actual paper copy like how you get the ipod version of a movie with the dvd of some movies. So if you bought the Harry Potter books then you'd get a ebook copy just for you. *continues to dream about it*
That would be great.. sadly I don't see it happening.
TwiSteDCBloSsoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:07 PM   #52
aapezzuto
Zealot
aapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiSteDCBloSsoM View Post
Though another idea that would be nice would be for publishers to offer the ebook with the actual paper copy like how you get the ipod version of a movie with the dvd of some movies. So if you bought the Harry Potter books then you'd get a ebook copy just for you. *continues to dream about it*
That would be great.. sadly I don't see it happening.
There was a post a while back from someone in the publishing industry who talked about using hardback books as the pre-release premium license version of books. Packaging them with rights for the ebook, audio book, and perhaps other extras. If the publishing industry started treating books the way that the digital entertainment industry treats movies, games, etc. Then I think they could spike their sales, and re-invigorate the idea of a nice book being the perfect gift.
aapezzuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:47 PM   #53
ScottBooks
ScottBooks doesn't litterScottBooks doesn't litterScottBooks doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Yes, I respect the law but I do not respect her wishes since I think they are bad for eBooks and bad for everybody. And calling people low-lifes because they do not respect a certain position is strange and insulting.
The low-life referred to in this specific instance was the criminal(s) who put the books up for sale. They took an author's work and put it up for sale for only their own gain. They knew it was stealing and knew it was illegal and did it anyway. Low-life is an appropriate description. So is scum.
ScottBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:16 PM   #54
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBooks View Post
The low-life referred to in this specific instance was the criminal(s) who put the books up for sale. They took an author's work and put it up for sale for only their own gain. They knew it was stealing and knew it was illegal and did it anyway. Low-life is an appropriate description. So is scum.
I think law-breaker is enough. If all law-breaker are scum and low-life you do not add anything to use the term other then fooling people who do not remember that and think you mean something else than law-breaker.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:18 PM   #55
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Copyright breach is not stealing. That doesn't mean it's ok though, and indeed whoever put it up is lowlife.

It's also fraud since what you get (since it's poorly done) is not what you paid for.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #56
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

I'm going to stick with scum here. They ripped off the customers, the writer, and amazon. Not cool.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #57
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm going to stick with scum here. They ripped off the customers, the writer, and amazon. Not cool.
Really. How much did the writer loose here? I doubt the writer lost anything. The customers got what they paid for and since they bouht from Amazon they had no reason to not trust that it was OK to buy.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:23 PM   #58
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Really. How much did the writer loose here? I doubt the writer lost anything. The customers got what they paid for and since they bouht from Amazon they had no reason to not trust that it was OK to buy.
It's not that she lost anything, it is that someone ripped her work off. Amazon is a pretty trustworthy site, especially when it is marked as a Kindle book from Amazon.

I just don't understand why you think this isn't scummy. Even illegal ebook sellers on ebay, where people should be on high guard, I think are scum.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:31 PM   #59
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I just don't understand why you think this isn't scummy. Even illegal ebook sellers on ebay, where people should be on high guard, I think are scum.
I think the copyright laws are immoral. think that breaking the laws is not good if it is allowed. But that does not automatically lead to the conclusion that the law breakers are scum or low-lifes. Using such terms just makes it harder for people to see the situation clearly. And I think that using such terms reflects an ideological standpoint that I do not agree with.

And if they are scum and low-lifes. What terms should you use for murderers?
Old 01-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #60
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I think the copyright laws are immoral. think that breaking the laws is not good if it is allowed. But that does not automatically lead to the conclusion that the law breakers are scum or low-lifes. Using such terms just makes it harder for people to see the situation clearly. And I think that using such terms reflects an ideological standpoint that I do not agree with.

And if they are scum and low-lifes. What terms should you use for murderers?
I understand where you are coming from, but I will respectfully disagree. My point still lies in knowingly ripping people off.

Anyway, what I call murders, rapists, etc, is not appropriate language for the forum.