Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #61
yili360s
yili360s began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I use the Handbrake Regular--Normal setting and I get really nice videos in the 1 GB to 1.5 GB size range.
Any output settings make this? sometimes when i try to rip dvd files, the output quality it not always nice for me.
yili360s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #62
rvjmwhit
rvjmwhit began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire
I just downloaded Handbrake to convert my DVD's to put on a Kindle fire. I just tried a DVD and converted it twice. Once in in Normal and once in High Profile modes. both convert to 9 GB's or larger and they are too big to put on my wifes fire. How do I get the convert size smaller? I'm trying to get this figured out since I just bought 2 Kindle Fire HD's for my kids and we want to be able to get some of our movies on for trips. Thanks
rvjmwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #63
jswinden
Nameless Being

I just use the setting shown in the attached image. I didn't change any other settings. My DVD conversions always come out below 2GB, usually closer to 1GB.

BTW: 9GB is twice the size of a DVD's capacity, so I'm not sure how you get such large conversions.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	handbrake.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	97830  
Old 12-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #64
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
BTW: 9GB is twice the size of a DVD's capacity, so I'm not sure how you get such large conversions.

While there are other explanations that would account for it, a double-layer DVD is indeed about 9GB.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #65
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
While there are other explanations that would account for it, a double-layer DVD is indeed about 9GB.
Are double-layer DVDs used for movies officially released by major studios? If not then they are irrelevant to the discussion.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #66
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Are double-layer DVDs used for movies officially released by major studios? If not then they are irrelevant to the discussion.
Yes, of course they are. It's only the most stripped down basic edition DVDs, or very short movies, that are on single layer discs.

That's why programs like DVD Shrink (going back a ways) and DVD Fab have functions to re-compress movies to 4.7GB, so that they can be copied onto one single-layer recordable DVD.

If the poster is doing a full disk rip, this could be the cause, though most of the disks in my collection have an actual size of closer to 7GB, so 9 is still pretty hard to explain.

Of course with silly settings, it's possible to inflate even the smallest video to 9GB.

Last edited by ApK; 12-17-2012 at 04:22 PM.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #67
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
if you just rip the DVD to your computer, it will show up as 9GB or so.
make sure you pick one of the compression settings above in jswindens post to get it to a manageable mpeg.

I used the iPad setting and videos look fine on the fire.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:59 AM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Almost all commercially-sold DVDs (in the UK, at least) are dual-layer. On the outside of the DVD box there's normally a warning that there may be a brief pause in playback during the transition between the two layers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #69
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Dual layer dvd's are becoming more the "norm" with all the extras that come with the movies. Hi-def and other formats plus another clue is the length of the movie.

I am seeing more dual-layer's as time goes by.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #70
TheRuleslawyer
TheRuleslawyer began at the beginning.

Device: KFHD 8.9
I use dvd-fab to rip dvds for mobile use. I tried handbrake, but it was a multi-step process with a lot more setting than I wanted to deal with. DVD fab is pretty much a one button approach and even has cuda support to use your GPU to help speed up encode. I can rip a feature length movie in about 20minutes.
TheRuleslawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #71
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking
Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4
Giveaway of the Day - WinX DVD Ripper Platinum 7.0.0

Free for the next 14 hours - http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/winx...latinum-7-0-0/

Get there quickly
Villordsutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:00 AM   #72
Janet16
Enthusiast
Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Janet16 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Pity! missed the giveaway!
Though already got iFunia DVD ripper, but don't mind to get another
Janet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #73
SusanM
Bemused by possibilities
SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Kobo
Handbrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Handbrake, without a doubt. Free, powerfull, efficient and open source.
Just discovered Handbrake. The best...
SusanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #74
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Actually, I find DVD Catalyst to be the best. (I've also used Handbrake). Automated but also customizable for just about any device.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #75
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Is there any way to identify the files when you copy them to the Kindle? An embedded splash screen, or some sort of label? I'm using DVDCatalyst, and still learning about it, but overall, I'm pretty pleased with the results. The only thing is that I have four squares of blue sky and a grey blur in my Personal Videos folder (four episodes of Bleach and True Lies) and I have to Click/Hold to get item details to find out what's what. Seems like it can only get worse.

Thanks,
Andy
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote