Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
em534
em534 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
Unhappy "HELP" Bought a Kindle DX in demo mode !

Hello,

I just bought a kindle dx graphite in demo mode without knowing it and my wife birthday is in 2 days. Any way is there a way I can undemo mode it ?

ps: there absolutely no way I can return it.

PLEASE ANSWER FAST !
em534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
I'd guess somewhere in settings there might be an option. If you can't find it there you might try powering it down totally. On the keyboard one you just hold the power switch for a longer time than just shutting it off. The book might tell you. The book may also tell you if there is a hard reset or not.

If you didn't get the book google for your model and manual and you might find it.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
holgalee
Kindle Newbie
holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 & PW
Contact Kindle customer service asap!
holgalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Amazon Kindle customer service (1-866-321-8851)

Hopefully that is the only problem the Kindle has.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Did you register the Kindle to your Amazon account yet?

Quote:
On the Manage Your Kindle page, enter the serial number for your Kindle and click the Register a new Kindle button. You'll find Kindle's serial number on the outside of the box or on the Settings menu on your Kindle.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by em534 View Post
ps: there absolutely no way I can return it.
Hmmm...

Demo mode sounds suspicious, as in possibly a store demo model. Since you say it can't be returned, I suspect the sale was a private transaction and not through a retail store. The problem with private sales is that you have no idea if the seller legitimately owned the Kindle. You also don't know the history of that Kindle and whether or not Amazon has blacklisted it.

But this is all conjecture since you didn't reveal where you obtained the Kindle.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:37 PM   #7
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
You could reflash the firmware with a copy from a normal kindle DX (preferably another one that you own, or from a friend or relative). You would need a serial cable to do that. Details can be found in the developer's corner forum. It would still have the old serial number, which can be changed too, but only a valid serial number can be registered.

It would take some study and experimentation on your part to learn how to do this. Just because it can be done does not make it worth your time to do it. You have to decide whether to spend your time learning how to do it, or to spend your money to buy another one that already works. It all depends on how you value your time.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-28-2012 at 11:36 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
petejojohan
petejojohan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Kindle DX-G Demo model - Flash to full working

Hi,

I bought a demo model too, on E-Bay. Also have a full working one on the way. Right now, I'm trying to see if I can flash the demo using the directions from this link http://www.mediafire.com/view/?d4mqgzr4cbrttzu which details how to un-brick a Kindle.

However, doc was written for a Kindle Touch (which I also have, and it works for it) not a DX-G. I am hoping that I can apply most of the doc to the DX-G as long as I find and use the correct firmware files, but I'm having some problems getting it to be recognized by mfgtool.exe.

Currently, I am looking through other threads here for a solution, but if anyone knows of a document that is written for firmware updates for a DX-G, I would be very greatful.
petejojohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by petejojohan View Post
Hi,

I bought a demo model too, on E-Bay. Also have a full working one on the way. Right now, I'm trying to see if I can flash the demo using the directions from this link http://www.mediafire.com/view/?d4mqgzr4cbrttzu which details how to un-brick a Kindle.

However, doc was written for a Kindle Touch (which I also have, and it works for it) not a DX-G. I am hoping that I can apply most of the doc to the DX-G as long as I find and use the correct firmware files, but I'm having some problems getting it to be recognized by mfgtool.exe.

Currently, I am looking through other threads here for a solution, but if anyone knows of a document that is written for firmware updates for a DX-G, I would be very greatful.
No. Silver18 put that guide together as a simplified step-by-step version of my "simple debricking" sticky thread for K4 and K5, in the kindle dev corner forum.

Replacing firmware on a DX needs to be done with the serial port. Look up the threads on the (unofficial) upgrade for a DX to 3.2.1 firmware.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Yeah, sounds like a former store display. I'd wonder if some store employee (or "customer") stole it and resold it. I've often wondered who owned those display model Kindles, Amazon or the store. If the store, they may have had the right to resale it, but I'd guess it was against their contract with Amazon.

The store displays usually have some white print on them that say "NOT FOR SALE", usually on the top to the right of the logo. Was there anything scratched off in that area?
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #11
petejojohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
No. Silver18 put that guide together as a simplified step-by-step version of my "simple debricking" sticky thread for K4 and K5, in the kindle dev corner forum.

Replacing firmware on a DX needs to be done with the serial port. Look up the threads on the (unofficial) upgrade for a DX to 3.2.1 firmware.
Great! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Word around the campfire is that you know the most about the DX here at mobileread, so I appreciate your help. I'll let you know how it goes...

Thanks again
Old 06-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #12
petejojohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Yeah, sounds like a former store display. I'd wonder if some store employee (or "customer") stole it and resold it. I've often wondered who owned those display model Kindles, Amazon or the store. If the store, they may have had the right to resale it, but I'd guess it was against their contract with Amazon.

The store displays usually have some white print on them that say "NOT FOR SALE", usually on the top to the right of the logo. Was there anything scratched off in that area?
No, I knew that it was a demo model beforehand, and it still does have the "Not for sale" writing on it. Don't know how the seller got it, but he was selling a few of them. It is in pristine condition, but only operates in demo mode.

I do think that I bricked the demo DX yesterday. Was looking for the "magic Key" and pressing just about every button. The "Q" key seemed to do something while holding the power slider, but I don't know what. Now it is locked on the "Tree" screen and doesn't do anything...

This is why I bought a second, fully functional one. Just a quick word about the second DX on it's way - it was owned by Michael Hart, the original creator of the E-Book, way back when. He was also the founder of the Gutenberg Project. He passed away earlier this year, and got it through the sale of his estate.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
I just bought a kindle dx graphite in demo mode without knowing it
vs.

Quote:
No, I knew that it was a demo model beforehand, and it still does have the "Not for sale" writing on it.

If it says not for sale, then I'd assume it stolen. Knowingly receiving stolen properly is a crime, and that often extends to cases of "you should have suspected".
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #14
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Question Where?

Out of interest where did you find this DX and how much did you pay?
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:19 AM   #15
petejojohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
vs.

If it says not for sale, then I'd assume it stolen. Knowingly receiving stolen properly is a crime, and that often extends to cases of "you should have suspected".
As I said, I knew it was a demo unit and needed to be flashed before I bought it. It was properly represented in the auction I bought it from, as a demo unit that did not operate like a normal Kindle DX. If I could figure out how to put Duokan or Qindle on it without having access to the Kindle's interface, that would do it for me. But from what I've read, both Duokan and Qindle require access to menus on the Kindle itself, hence the reason I am looking to flash it first. I bought it strictly for viewing PDFs and personally have absolutely no intention of either reselling it as a fully functional unit, cloning the ESN or leaning on Amazon's support, or anyone here for that matter, to restore it to a fully functional, registered, Wi-Fi, 3G unit.

You know what they say about "ASSumptions", right?

These were demo models and were purchased as a lot. Once the store no longer sells items that their demo units represent, they are sent to their distribution centers, where they are in turn sold to clearing houses and are auctioned off in lots. The "Not for Sale" label is meant for the retail customer, and not to bulk purchasers of auction goods.

I'll give you another example: I have a factory original electric S-10 pickup that uses the identical drive train as the EV-1 ("Who Killed The Electric Car"). All were supposed to be shredded by GM, but 50 were used for testing and the government - survived and were sold at auction. Perfectly legal, and fully registered as a street legal vehicle.

So, I respectfully suggest you do your homework next time before accusing someone of criminal activity...