Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
c-not-k
Enthusiast
c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony PRS 650, T3, Nook Color
Nook noobie dilemma

Hello all,

I am a long-time Sony Reader guy, having purchased a PRS-505 in late 2007, upgrading to a PRS-650 in 2010. I've enjoyed them. I'm thinking about getting my 13-year old son a PRS-T1 for Christmas.

Fast forward to last week's office holiday party. I won a Nook Color as a door prize.

I haven't taken it out of the box yet. (Didn't tell my son about it, either.) I wasn't looking to get one. I had a mild interest in getting an Android tablet, however. Also, I read a fair number of how-to articles from the Internet on my Sony, and the color screen would be quite nice, as a lot of the articles have color pictures.

My son is a prolific reader (yeah, I'm proud of that), which is why I was going to get him a reader in the first place. He reads a lot of age-appropriate science fiction, so that's why the grayscale PRS-T1 was on the list. I figure my options are...
  1. Sell the Nook. Get a PRS-T1.
  2. Keep the Nook for me. Get my son a T1.
  3. Give my son the Nook. Borrow it when he's not looking.
  4. Keep the Nook and root it. That way I get my tablet.

Anybody have any suggestions?

-Thanks
c-not-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #2
oppy
Connoisseur
oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nook Color
I'd go with #4.
oppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
With the 1.4 update this month the NC will get most of the features of the Nook Tablet. So I would keep the NC. Depending on what you want an Android tablet for, you may not even have to root it.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Go for #3!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
c-not-k
Enthusiast
c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
...Depending on what you want an Android tablet for...
I have a Sonos audio system, and there's a controller app for that. Otherwise, I'd just want to see what can be done with one.

I'll have to look to see what's in the 1.4 update. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I think the combo of 2 & 4! The Nook Color is a great device especially when rooted. It's fantastic at magazines and books that rely on color photos. I also like it for night-time reading. You can share it with your son too. Get him the T1, and he'll have his own ereader. There are some sales on the T1 right now (priced from $99-129). If he accidentally breaks it, then it's also cheaper to replace than the Nook Color.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I think the combo of 2 & 4! The Nook Color is a great device especially when rooted. It's fantastic at magazines and books that rely on color photos. I also like it for night-time reading. You can share it with your son too. Get him the T1, and he'll have his own ereader. There are some sales on the T1 right now (priced from $99-129). If he accidentally breaks it, then it's also cheaper to replace than the Nook Color.
If you want to able to share books with your son it would be a better idea to buy a Nook Touch instead of a Sony T1. Because the Sony cannot read B&N books (at least not without removing the DRM).
The B&N DRM allows you to share books by just copying them to another reader (using the USB connection).
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
If you want to able to share books with your son it would be a better idea to buy a Nook Touch instead of a Sony T1. Because the Sony cannot read B&N books (at least not without removing the DRM).
The B&N DRM allows you to share books by just copying them to another reader (using the USB connection).
On the other hand, the OP already owns a Sony 650 for his own use. So any books he bought from B&N wouldn't work with his 650 unles he removed DRM. Therefore a T1 registered to the same account as his 650 is a good option. I own a Nook Color and Sony ereaders. My solution is that I nearly never buy books from B&N unless they are enhanced with video or color photos. Instead I buy all my books from Sony, Kobo and other EPUB sources and have my Nook Color registered to the same Adobe account as my Sony ereaders. That way the books work on all of my devices.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
c-not-k
Enthusiast

I am also enjoying perusing the local public library. I've checked, and there are a few books I can get for my son there.

I'll let you know what I decide. (The NC is still in the box. Normally, I don't have that kind of self-control.)
Old 12-19-2011, 12:31 AM   #10
c-not-k
Enthusiast

Decision made. I'm keeping the Nook and not getting my son a Sony. I checked the local library, and they don't have enough of the books he likes to read (electronically. They, and his school library have plenty of paper books that he likes.) Buying enough media to keep him happy would be very expensive.

Perhaps I'll revisit this if his choice in literature changes. (Does the "Captain Underpants" series count as literature?)
Old 01-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #11
c-not-k
Enthusiast

Last update. I've set up a microSD card with CM7 and I'm happily dual-booting. Mostly the NC is in CM7 mode. I copied and modified my Word template and macro for the NC screen size, and now I can read my Web-sourced how-to articles in color.

Turns out I still prefer the Sony for reading books. Size, weight, and e-ink are the reasons.

The Nook is pretty cool, though. I'm glad I have both.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #12
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-not-k View Post

Turns out I still prefer the Sony for reading books. Size, weight, and e-ink are the reasons.

The Nook is pretty cool, though. I'm glad I have both.
I feel the same about my Sony and NC. I use the NC for reading in bed or around home but my Sony is my one true love and goes everywhere with me.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #13
c-not-k
Enthusiast

Well, I'm forcing myself to love the Nook; I just finished a book I purchased on the Sony and then loaned it to a friend so he could read the book, too. I probably won't get it back for a month or two.

I had checked out a book from the library and started reading it on the Sony. I didn't finish it before it expired, so I downloaded my renewal to the Nook.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to authorize it to the CM7 partition, so I'll be reading it on the native OS. (I like the Android Tablet thingie.)

Forcing myself to use the Nook as my only reader will give me a good evaluation of it.

(OK, so maybe that wasn't my last update.)