Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-18-2023, 01:38 PM   #211
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've started fixing the kerning. I've noticed some of the kerning tables don't match so I've begun sorting them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 08:14 AM   #212
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Vakke, I'v e cleaned up most of the obvious kerning that needed fixing that I noticed while reading. I have a couple more pairs to fix. Then I can copy over the kerning tables to the less space version.

After both are done, I can make versions with hinting for Kindles. And from there make weighted versions. I'll add them to the first post and you can then delete the ones you've attached.

Sound good? I'll get this done this week.
Advert
Old 01-31-2023, 11:38 AM   #213
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

New versions of ChareInk based on version 6 have been posted in the first post of this thread. The other versions attached are obsolete.
Old 01-31-2023, 12:21 PM   #214
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
New versions of ChareInk based on version 6 have been posted in the first post of this thread. The other versions attached are obsolete.
Hi Jon
I changed to Chareink Noweight on your recommendation a while back and love it.
Would I benefit from using one of the new versions instead?
(and if so which one - there are quite a few to pick from)
Thank you
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 01:10 PM   #215
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Nice work. Thank you.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2023, 01:27 PM   #216
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
Hi Jon
I changed to Chareink Noweight on your recommendation a while back and love it.
Would I benefit from using one of the new versions instead?
(and if so which one - there are quite a few to pick from)
Thank you
Yes, you would benefit from one of the new ones mainly because I've fixed some of the kerning. I suggest you try both hinted versions. They have different font names so you can pick and choose. You might like the one with less space or the one with regular space. Only you can decide which you like best. You might like one with ePub and the other with KePub.

ChareInk6 - The one with the normal space
ChareInk6SP - The one with a smaller space
Old 02-01-2023, 03:35 AM   #217
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you Jon, helpful as always
I'll do that.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:21 AM   #218
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thank you Jon, helpful as always
I'll do that.
Which version do you like better?
Old 02-01-2023, 10:30 AM   #219
Ned
Ebook reader

Quote:
Which version do you like better?
The Chareink6SP is the best for me, though I'm not clear why. It just has a more satisfying look

I've added the Hinted ones to the fonts folder too to see how they look, but for some reason unknown to me the reader does not pick them up.
They're added as Chareink6SPH etc and Chareink6H etc to differentiate them, but it's not having any!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fonts Libra 2.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	624.6 KB
ID:	199387  

Last edited by Ned; 02-01-2023 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:54 AM   #220
repilo
Enthusiast
repilo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Thank you.
I have some doubts about hinting and kerning in Kobo.
If I understand correctly, Kobo can use fonts with or without hinting. But what happens, Kobo doesn't need hinting or it is not designed to take advantage of hinting?

Is Kobo, out of the box, capable of using kerning or does it require something to be installed or tweaked?
repilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 11:29 AM   #221
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by repilo View Post
Thank you.
I have some doubts about hinting and kerning in Kobo.
If I understand correctly, Kobo can use fonts with or without hinting. But what happens, Kobo doesn't need hinting or it is not designed to take advantage of hinting?

Is Kobo, out of the box, capable of using kerning or does it require something to be installed or tweaked?
Kobo doesn't need hinting. But it also works with hinting. If you have a Kindle and a Kobo, you can use the same hinted version.

As for Kerning, reading ePub works with kerning without having to do anything. KePub does not work with kerning by default. There is a setting you can put in the config file to have kerning on. I'll have to look up what that is when I get a chance and post it here unless someone else beats me to it.
Old 02-01-2023, 11:31 AM   #222
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The Chareink6SP is the best for me, though I'm not clear why. It just has a more satisfying look

I've added the Hinted ones to the fonts folder too to see how they look, but for some reason unknown to me the reader does not pick them up.
They're added as Chareink6SPH etc and Chareink6H etc to differentiate them, but it's not having any!
Changing the filenames won't work. Kobo looks at the internal name which is the same for the hinted and non-hinted versions. Just add the hinted versions with the original file names and they will work perfectly well.

On a Kobo, you won't notice a difference between the hinted and non-hinted versions.
Old 02-01-2023, 11:39 AM   #223
Ned
Ebook reader

Quote:
Changing the filenames won't work. Kobo looks at the internal name which is the same for the hinted and non-hinted versions. Just add the hinted versions with the original file names and they will work perfectly well.

On a Kobo, you won't notice a difference between the hinted and non-hinted versions.
Ah, thanks Jon. I didn't know about the filenames, or that Hinted would look the same, so I'll just remove the superfluous ones from my Fonts folder and stick with the 6SP which is a nice improvement
Old 02-01-2023, 01:11 PM   #224
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Kobo doesn't need hinting. But it also works with hinting. If you have a Kindle and a Kobo, you can use the same hinted version.

As for Kerning, reading ePub works with kerning without having to do anything. KePub does not work with kerning by default. There is a setting you can put in the config file to have kerning on. I'll have to look up what that is when I get a chance and post it here unless someone else beats me to it.
I've recently turned that on, the results are a bit of a mixed bag. My subjective impression is that the spacing looks a bit strange in some cases.
You can find the full discussion here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...78#post4217778
Colonel Cathcart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 01:26 PM   #225
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Cathcart View Post
I've recently turned that on, the results are a bit of a mixed bag. My subjective impression is that the spacing looks a bit strange in some cases.
You can find the full discussion here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...78#post4217778
There is a patch to shrink the space between words for KePub or you can try the version of ChareInk6 that has a smaller space and see how you get on.