Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-01-2011, 01:48 AM   #1
andrewyi1114
andrewyi1114 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question from a future kindle buyer

Hi I'm planning on getting the Kindle DX pretty soon, but I just had some questions.

I was looking on ebay to maybe get a used one out of the box for cheaper, but some of the listings on there are a lot more than the price of $379 on amazon.com. why is this?

I reckon that some of them are the 2nd generation ones unopened so they are rare and sought after by collectors or whatever, but there are some graphite DXs that I see that are over 400. I don't understand why this is so and would like to know why.

And also there's no reason for me to get the older version right? I've been researching a little bit, and it seems like the newest model is better in every way?

Thanks for any help!
andrewyi1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:19 AM   #2
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
Some ebay based businesses can make a profit by buying product from Amazon and reselling to ebay buyers who live in countries where amazon doesn't ship.

Ebay is a seller's market. Try Craig's list instead. You're more likely to find a deal because there is much less competition among buyers. I picked up my nearly new DXG with leather cover for $220 via Craig's list.

By the way, the leather cover makes the whole DXG + cover weigh almost twice as much as the DXG alone. It's heavy enough to be tiring holding it for long reading sessions. Consider alternatives.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2011, 02:23 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewyi1114 View Post
I was looking on ebay to maybe get a used one out of the box for cheaper, but some of the listings on there are a lot more than the price of $379 on amazon.com. why is this?

I reckon that some of them are the 2nd generation ones unopened so they are rare and sought after by collectors or whatever, but there are some graphite DXs that I see that are over 400. I don't understand why this is so and would like to know why.
At a guess, maybe because the eBay seller will ship some places Amazon won't???

Quote:
And also there's no reason for me to get the older version right? I've been researching a little bit, and it seems like the newest model is better in every way?
Can't think of any. The DXg uses the newer Pearl screen which is much nicer IMO.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
anecdotally we have had more than a few ebay purchasers that have received kindles that may have "fallen off of the truck" and are actually blacklisted. unless you have a geographic shipping location, it is highly recommended to buy it straight from Amazon or one of the big box stores. ebay sellers seem to think that they can inflate the prices, and the market will stand it. it works. sometimes. especially around the holidays

welcome to the forums!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:

Ebay's fees for sellers are very high, so it will always be the most expensive place to buy new items.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Ebay's fees for sellers are very high, so it will always be the most expensive place to buy new items.
The thing about eBay is, there are no "new" items on eBay. If it's being auctioned off, it's at least some form of used, even if it's still in the box.

You can still get good deals on eBay. I've been on both ends of some pretty low prices. But it's about popularity. The 3rd generation DX is a pretty hot item right now. You can save yourself some money by going with a previous generation. I've seen those for as low as $300. In fact, that's how I got my first Kindle: I waited until the Kindle 2 was out for a while, and then I got the Kindle 1 on eBay.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Keep an eye out at Amazon and Staples. Both have had specials recently where the DXG was sold for $300. It would be better to buy one at that price, new, from an approved store then off of EBay or Craigslist.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
andrewyi1114
andrewyi1114 began at the beginning.

Device: none
thanks for all the help everyone! I'm gonna keep checking back on amazon and craigslist because 370's still a little steep for me. There aren't too many people selling dx's though around here...
andrewyi1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think most DXG users are pretty happy with their purchase.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
MichelRenaud
Connoisseur
MichelRenaud began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
The thing about eBay is, there are no "new" items on eBay. If it's being auctioned off, it's at least some form of used, even if it's still in the box.
That may have been true 10 years ago, but for several years now a number of news items have been sold via eBay. A lot of online stores actually set up shop as an eBay store, or add it as a second presence to make them more visible - all the while selling new stuff.

That said, I wouldn't buy a Kindle anywhere other than "Amazon-approved" sellers (Amazon, BestBuy, Staples...)
MichelRenaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #11
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Hi I'm planning on getting the Kindle DX pretty soon, but I just had some questions.

Thanks for any help!
May I ask why you are thinking on the DX version? If that's for PDF only, I would suggest an iPad instead. Unless you are planning to read "linear" PDF files or do not need annotations, the DX won't give you lot of PDF features.

Do not get me wrong, it's a great device and lighter than most devices with that screen size, but Amazon has not made firmware upgrades for it in a while.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
May I ask why you are thinking on the DX version? If that's for PDF only, I would suggest an iPad instead. Unless you are planning to read "linear" PDF files or do not need annotations, the DX won't give you lot of PDF features.

Do not get me wrong, it's a great device and lighter than most devices with that screen size, but Amazon has not made firmware upgrades for it in a while.
I'd agree with this somewhat, but it depends on intended use. I'm currently considering a Galaxy Tab 10.1 (once they come out in June) because any PDF reading I'd want to do be able to 'flip around' in reference books and stuff and I think a tablet is more suited to what I'd be doing and color would be too. However I can see someone wanting the benefits of eInk for reading PDF's and a DX would be a great option in that case.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #13
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
@AnemicOak,

I just wish Amazon could provide similar or better PDF features that they do provide on Kindle 3, which by the way, is less expensive.

For people looking for a device to make annotations, jump from chapter A to B, the DX is not the best choice, not in my opinion. Now, is amazing for poetry or programming books; perfect screen size and great battery too.

By the way, if you are looking for a tablet in order to read or use PDFs, take a look on iPad+GoodReader. I tried RepliGo on my Galaxy Tab, but GoodReader is just amazing!
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #14
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Better think twice about it.
It seems that Amazon abandoned KDXG only investing in K3.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #15
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Better think twice about it.
It seems that Amazon abandoned KDXG only investing in K3.
What makes you say that?