Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-30-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Desert Island Book Choices

What books must you have with you if you were to be stranded on a desert island? For the sake of this exercise we will consider that all books are available in electronic form, your reader works perfectly, and can be recharged by solar power. We will also assume that there is no communications to the island so you cannot download additional titles via satellite.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:32 PM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
1: Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (I'd need this because if it's a desert island there'd be no Autumn and Autumn is my favourite season, and reading this book you can almost smell the burned leaves in the air.)

2: Don Quixote by Miguel Cervantes (I read this every summer, it's massive and overly descriptive and boring in some places, but I love it )

3. The Collected Short Stories of Ray Bradbury Vol 1 & 2 (my favourite writer, and I can re-read his short stories over and over again)
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2009, 12:17 AM   #3
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Everything by Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Katharine Kerr and Robert Heinlein. That would keep me fairly happy, especially if I had a coconut radio.
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:14 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Hmm

The Earthchildren series from Jean M. Auel,
the First North American series by W Micheal Gear,
the First American series by William Sarabande
all books from James Clavell,
the Pendragon Series van Stephen R. Lawhead

For some light reading:
All books from Thea Beckman and Evert Hartman (both Dutch juvenile fiction writers)

And naturally:
The Count of Monte Christo, by Alexandre Dumas

That should keep me occupied for a week or three...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:30 AM   #5
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I must have the library. And one with a better selection of compatible books, and not all the books that I want only being available in that freaking WMA format. As mentioned in your other thread, Iʻm not much into listening to music or books. I have to listen to people all the time. I like my books to be the strong silent type.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2009, 03:42 AM   #6
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
...2: Don Quixote by Miguel Cervantes (I read this every summer, it's massive and overly descriptive and boring in some places, but I love it )
Do you read it in translation - if so, can I ask whose?
I'd like to get round to reading 'Don Quixote' someday, but which English version is recommended?

Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:08 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Dickens, Haggard, Tolkien, and Plato would keep me happy .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:11 AM   #8
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
"Raftbuilding: the expert guide" and "Survival: so you are stuck on a deserted island". Possibly "1001 games to play by yourself".
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:15 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It would also be handy to have an iPod Touch, so that you could use its mirror-like screen to signal to passing ships .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:08 AM   #10
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
"Raftbuilding: the expert guide" and "Survival: so you are stuck on a deserted island". Possibly "1001 games to play by yourself".
Bugger... I first read that as "1001 ways to play with yourself".

Some serious disapointment when I figured out what it really said.

I would be happy with my current selection of books on the reader.... Haven't read 80 % of them since I spent my weekend exchanging ones I have read for ones I want to read
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:11 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post

I would be happy with my current selection of books on the reader.... Haven't read 80 % of them since I spent my weekend exchanging ones I have read for ones I want to read
Me too, but I'd love to see those books I mentioned in ebook format and added to my library!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:19 AM   #12
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Do you read it in translation - if so, can I ask whose?
I'd like to get round to reading 'Don Quixote' someday, but which English version is recommended?

I have the John Ormsby one from Feedbooks at the moment, but the Edith Grossman edition is supposed to be the definitive one. I also have a whopping 2-part PDF of the rare 1620 English edition too.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:39 AM   #13
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:

seriously, do you really need more than, say, 10 ways? 1001-- that might take a while and some serious time to write...

Quote:
I have probably 170 books on my reader that I have never read. And yet, I keep checking out more instead of reading what I have. weirdo.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:01 AM   #14
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
seriously, do you really need more than, say, 10 ways? 1001-- that might take a while and some serious time to write...

I have probably 170 books on my reader that I have never read. And yet, I keep checking out more instead of reading what I have. weirdo.
Well, I don't NEED any really. I just think it would be interesting to see what they came up with

And I kind of do the same thing... I keep filling up my BeBook with books, until I figure out that there is just no way I'll have the time to read them all. Think I have something like 250 unread on it at the moment.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:12 AM   #15
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
There are a lot of solitaire versions....
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote