Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-20-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
Plastic Logic New Email

New Email from Plastic Logic. I think the advertisment is longer than the D7 Video but still interesting to view. The page turns appeared slower than the iRex Digital Reader.

I am still interested in finding out if there will be a memory card and does this reader have folders? Is it just PDF or will it read Mobipocket or one of the other reader formats? I am starting to believe that except for the form factor the iRex Digital Reader is still king in my view.

Recent Videos
http://plasticlogic.sugarondemand.co...9-4a3d3a0d57e4

Our hottest topic: The sneak peak of our user interface at the D7 executive conference, executive produced by the WSJ, Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher. Watch the demo below
D7 Video - Plastic Logic Previews New E-Book Reader

New Plastic Logic Web Site
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled(1)_page1_image1.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	31004  

Last edited by timezone; 06-20-2009 at 05:04 PM.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Egad. That display change is REALLY slow. Hopefully they will upgrade the controller before release.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2009, 06:02 PM   #3
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
Maybe in the short term heat is not an issue and the plastic they are using may be able to withstand a lot of heat. Is it possible the refresh rate may have something to do with heat?

The small sleek form factor will have an advantage over the other readers for awhile. Once the processor speeds improve then heat may not allow this type of reader to scale well. Are there any engineers here that can speak to this issue? Is it possible the slowness has anything to do with holding back because of heat issues? Or am I way off base?
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I don't think it is the display that is slow, but rather the rendering of business documents is very slow when jumping to a page in the document. The "recent videos" video was not slow, but it seemed to be displaying pre-rendered images. It was interesting to see an add for the Kindle 2 while the video plays though.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:20 PM   #5
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Enough with them previewing this device get this thing out in the next month and then we can talk. Why does everything take forever to come out Carpe Diem!
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2009, 11:45 PM   #6
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
It's a little slower than the Kindle 2 but not much. Part of it may be the delay in processing the double-tap as well. I'm more worried about the contrast, though; those displays look even more "washed out" than the worst Kindle 2s I've seen.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:58 AM   #7
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I just saw the first video and I must say I am impressed by the reflectivity of that screen: it looks very white! Infinitely whiter than my current e-reader. As for it being washed out: it may be due to the angle between the screen, the ambient light and the video camera. The other screen in the foreground did not look washed out at all. And anyway, it was not a big HD video.
And speed seems perfect to me. Who needs to gain half a second more when turning a page?
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:10 AM   #8
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
I just got my Plastic Logic reader email...I feel so wanted.
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:12 AM   #9
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
Why they don't say clearly how big is their device screen?
On their site they mention 8,5"x11" as the form factor, but those are the dimensions of the entire device and not of the display itself.
Wired claims that the plastic logic screen is 10,7", but I really doubt it, to me it's more like 9,7".
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:16 AM   #10
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
When they mention the tabbing of documents they are probably trying to reach those readers who are using MS Vista and/or 7.
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:33 AM   #11
SalvaG
Enthusiast
SalvaG is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by olis View Post
Why they don't say clearly how big is their device screen?
On their site they mention 8,5"x11" as the form factor, but those are the dimensions of the entire device and not of the display itself.
Wired claims that the plastic logic screen is 10,7", but I really doubt it, to me it's more like 9,7".
Doing a bit of geometry over an image:

Comparing with kindle:
_ PL: 10.7" (6.4 x 8.5") (162,5 x 216 mm)
_ DX: 9.7" (5.5" x 8") (138,5 x 202 mm)

Last edited by SalvaG; 06-21-2009 at 08:10 AM.
SalvaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:05 AM   #12
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvaG View Post
PL: 10.7" (6.4 x 8.5") (162,5 x 216 mm)
Thanks, I stand corrected.
olis is offline   Reply With Quote