Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
cantaro
cantaro began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Question Kobo Touch PDF Viewer Issue

I got my Kobo Touch two days ago. While experimenting with it, I came across a weird PDF viewing issue.

I have the PDF of the book Professional F# 2.0. When viewing it on the Kobo Touch, all characters are aligned to their baseline in such a way that letters that would normally protrude below the baseline are shifted upwards (or downwards in the case of dashes and apostrophes). A single page out of the book (the title page of Chapter 0, Beginnings) is attached to showcase this issue (see the g's shifted upwards). It is the same with firmware 1.9.11 as well as 1.9.16.

Not all PDFs have this issue; e.g. if you search for Okasaki's Purely Functional Data Structures, and copy it to your Kobo Touch, it will be displayed correctly.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Beginnings.pdf (927.5 KB, 371 views)
cantaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantaro View Post
I got my Kobo Touch two days ago. While experimenting with it, I came across a weird PDF viewing issue.

I have the PDF of the book Professional F# 2.0. When viewing it on the Kobo Touch, all characters are aligned to their baseline in such a way that letters that would normally protrude below the baseline are shifted upwards (or downwards in the case of dashes and apostrophes). A single page out of the book (the title page of Chapter 0, Beginnings) is attached to showcase this issue (see the g's shifted upwards). It is the same with firmware 1.9.11 as well as 1.9.16.

Not all PDFs have this issue; e.g. if you search for Okasaki's Purely Functional Data Structures, and copy it to your Kobo Touch, it will be displayed correctly.
I'm going to assume you want people to view the pdf in the KT. In my browser the pdf displays properly with the text lining up properly. :P
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
cantaro
cantaro began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex1170 View Post
I'm going to assume you want people to view the pdf in the KT. In my browser the pdf displays properly with the text lining up properly. :P
Apologies if I did not make that obvious enough. Yes, you have to copy the PDF to your Kobo to see the issue; any PDF readers I tried on computers (Adobe Reader, GSview, and Ubuntu's Preview) display it just fine.
cantaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Cantaro; it's worthwhile opening a ticket with Kobo and including as much info (including a file) as possible.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #5
kiddish1234
kiddish1234 began at the beginning.

you know, I have been checking out the reading glasses for PDf viewing in small letters. Maybe that is a better alternative then trying to convert or resizing ? Im going to try it
kiddish1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddish1234 View Post
you know, I have been checking out the reading glasses for PDf viewing in small letters. Maybe that is a better alternative then trying to convert or resizing ? Im going to try it
Gasp! Reading glasses with an eReader! But, but, but...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote