Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-17-2011, 04:11 AM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Generic book cover?

I'm thinking of working through the epub versions of W.H.G.Kingston's books over at Gutenberg cleaning up the text (removing the Gutenberg text) and putting in a standard cover image that looks better than what Gutenberg puts in the files. Does anyone know of a generic image of a book that could have different titles added to it (for each book) that would look good? I want to have a standard image (not unlike the way the pbook version of the Harvard Classics has) that will work to make the separate books seem like a set and yet look good.

Edit: I found a template that I think looks good for a cover image. I put the individual titles in using an Edwardian Script font (in a yellowish gold color).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Master Template.jpg
Views:	1157
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	75519  

Last edited by crich70; 08-17-2011 at 10:53 AM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:19 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I made my own. I took the design from one of the Fictionwise classic covers.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If anyone is looking for a good texture for a book cover I found mine here:

http://lostandtaken.com/gallery/tag/book-covers

Best of all the textures are free to use.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is gold on red really readable on a grey-scale screen?

The reason I use stark white on black for my book covers is for readability. That trumps artistic merit, to my mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	75520  
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

The reason I use stark white on black for my book covers is for readability. That trumps artistic merit, to my mind.
It's actually more yellow than proper gold. I'm thinking the red will come out as a dark color on the grayscale and the contrast will allow the title to show up well. At least when I changed from color to grayscale in GIMP there was a good contrast between the two.
Advert
Old 08-18-2011, 05:25 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, perfectly.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:14 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've done some experiments and personally I find that the resulting "light grey on dark grey" is not that easy to read. I think it needs higher contrast, but obviously this is very much a matter of personal taste.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote