Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Problem with kindle notetaking and highlighting

I bought the latest generation kindle about three weeks ago and have the latest software update (3.02) installed. For the most part my kindle works great. I like to make lots of notes and highlights when I read, but I'm having a problem with my kindle. After 2-4 highlights or notes my kindle freezes up for about two minutes at a time after subsequent notes and highlights. This really disrupts the flow of my reading and those two minute pauses are interminable. Is this freezing up normal with extensive note taking and highlighting? Should I ask Amazon for an exchange? Any comments would greatly be appreciated. Thanks
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, spellbanisher.

Here is the Kindle support page.......at the bottom you will see a "contact us" button.

click it, sign into your account, and choose the "call me" feature......enter your phone number, and they will call you back immediately.

Explain your problem and see what they say.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200503360
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
Did you find a solution, spellbanisher?

I have this problem as well (both on my K3 and KDX) and it's really very frustrating. I can find no pattern to it - other than extensive note-taking that is - and I have really tried. Doesn't matter which version or patch I'm running on either device; the problem remains the same. Every book in which I highlight frequently results in the same freeze/lock-up (though it never hangs permanently; just a minute or two).

I've tried Amazon support twice. First one I spoke with claims to never have heard of it but would log it. The second person had heard it before but was not aware a solution.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
HAve you tried updating to the 3.0.3 firmware?
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:26 PM   #5
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
Yes. Same problem on the release version, 3.0.2 and 3.0.3. I've also done two or three patches to my DX but it's a persistent error that just won't go away.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
nope

no, I have not found a solution to this problem. Most people probably don't take extensive notes, or any notes for that matter, with their kindle, so its unlikely to be a noticeable and pertinent problem for Amazon. I remember that with my kindle 1 after extensive notes and highlights it wouldn't log any new notes, but to fix that problem I'd just have to restart the kindle and it didn't lock up. The k3 doesn't seem to ever have to be restarted--except on extremely rare occasions but even then if you wait long enough the kindle usually unfreezes-- so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Another differences between k1 and k3 is that whenever i took new notes and highlights with the K1, the k1 would have to re-index the myclippings file to log those notes and highlights, whereas the k3 seems to add new notes and highlights to the myclippings file immediately and without having to re-index (it still reindexes the myclippings file, but it doesn't need to reindex to add the notes and highlights to the file).
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Here's a theory: your 'My Clippings.txt' is getting really big, and it takes Kindle longer and longer to find the end of the file each time you go to add a new note. Every note probably requires Kindle to open the file, seek to find the end, add note, close the file so that change is saved.

I would back up this file to your computer and then delete it from Kindle to see if performance improves (Kindle will happily create a new, empty one).

Note that if you rely heavily on notes in general, you should be backing up this file regularly anyway, because only notes for Amazon books are saved with your account, and My Clippings is not. My clippings is really the only easy way to get at notes for non Amazon books, e.g. if you want to copy/paste to some document you are creating.

Last edited by tomsem; 11-12-2010 at 04:03 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote