Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-03-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
jesse
Connoisseur
jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle 2
RELEASED: Native transcoding of PDFs and epubs on the Kindle2

Savory is my new on-device epub and pdf converter for the Kindle2. You can read about and download it from: http://bit.ly/Zp1ZM
jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Good job. Since I use Calibre, I probably won't install it, but this is the sort of thing Amazon should have done to begin with.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:21 AM   #3
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
does it convert PDFs to bitmap images or does it actually extract text?
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:09 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
does it convert PDFs to bitmap images or does it actually extract text?
It's a calibre port.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:17 AM   #5
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
I realize that - I never use calibre before - hence I'm asking.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:18 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Oh. According to his blog, savory extracts the text but ignores images.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
jesse
Connoisseur
jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

It uses pdf2html. It will get images that are embedded in the text, but not scanned PDFs
Old 04-06-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
Bjorn
Bjorn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi, Installed Savory (successfully I think) but then nothing happens
How long does the conversion take? Let's say for a small text pdf 50kB and a large, image heavy pdf ~10MB?
I moved a big pdf to documents, "undocked" the kindle but it didn't show, so I though maybe the conversion is slow so I docked again, removed that file and put a 50k pdf in the documents folder, undocked again, but no new books in the home screen

What info do you need to troubleshoot?
Bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:17 PM   #9
jesse
Connoisseur

I'm seeing some weirdnesses with "copy file over USB" -- what happens if you download from the browser?
Old 04-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #10
Bjorn
Bjorn began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse View Post
I'm seeing some weirdnesses with "copy file over USB" -- what happens if you download from the browser?
I can't use the browser, not in the US so don't have 3G modem enabled.
I did find something strange though, none of my system files in the kindle have any filedate... could this cause a problem? How is Savory checking what files are new and to be transcoded?
Bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:01 PM   #11
jesse
Connoisseur

Bjorn - See the posts over on the general kindle forum.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:18 AM   #12
hkabir
e-bookviner
hkabir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPodTouch
Hi Jesse,

I don't see any system folder on my kindle 2. Do I have to create it? I recently got my kindle, and can't wait to install savory.
hkabir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #13
hkabir
e-bookviner
hkabir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPodTouch
Never mind, Find out the way to see system folder.
hkabir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:47 PM   #14
e2c
e2c began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkabir View Post
Hi Jesse,

I don't see any system folder on my kindle 2. Do I have to create it? I recently got my kindle, and can't wait to install savory.
I've got the same question and wondered if one of you would be so kind as to explain how to do this?

Many thanks in advance for your help!
e2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:57 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can you please post the real link instead of some redirecting link that hides the original link? I will not click these redirecting links as I have no idea where it's going and sometimes they don't work.

MR supports full links. So there is NO NEED AT ALL to use redirecting tiny links.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote