Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Do You Regret Your Purchase of Your PRS 700
No, I love my PRS 700 60 77.92%
Yes, Ive Returned it or sold it or otherwise wish I had a different device 17 22.08%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2008, 08:30 PM   #16
Shunt1
Enthusiast
Shunt1 doesn't litterShunt1 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle, PRS-700
I love my PRS-700!

Moving from the Kindle to the Sony PRS-700 took some time to adjust, but now days, I do not even notice the difference between the screens.

The PRS-700 was well worth the money and I recommend it to others.
Shunt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #17
Shunt1
Enthusiast
Shunt1 doesn't litterShunt1 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle, PRS-700
Like you AMC, I purchased the PRS-700 for it's PDF capabilities.

The software kinda sucks at the moment, but that can be upgraded without changing the hardware. The touch-screen is wonderful, because of the future enhancement capability.

We already know that the 500 and 505 can be hacked to run Java, so it is just a matter of time until we have some fantastic 700 hacks.
Shunt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #18
zergling
zergling began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
This is my first reader, so I can't compare but I can tell you that I am pleased to have purchased it. The glare is a small pain but I can live with it, and the page seems pretty dark compared to an actual book page. I thought I'd regret not having the wireless capability but I'm happy to not have the distraction - I think I'd be playing with it all the time instead of reading.

I've just finished my first book - A Brief History of Everything - and made a few notes, bookmarked some pages, etc. That's handy. I noticed that when I "hot linked" to the footnotes to read them, the "return to text" didn't work and I had to go back "home" and then open the book again to get back to the main text. That's annoying.

I do have major heartburn with the eBook Store at Sony, but that's another story for another day.
zergling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #19
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I love my 700. My wife has used lightwedges for reading her pbooks for a few years now. My first thought when I got my iLiad was why didn't they incorporate that right into the design of the reader, there's certainly enough space in front of the screen. Between epub support and the built-in light, the 700 was an easy sell.

(Don't tell my wife the 505 could've handled epub too. What she doesn't know...)
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #20
cktay
cktay began at the beginning.

Device: none
How do we get Sony to release the firmware now ...
When was the firmware for PRS-500 released after the it was launched?
Need to read ebook in other language fonts.
cktay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:57 PM   #21
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
I've been using an Ebookwise 1150 for a couple of years and loved it, so it took me a little time to get used to my new 700. The 1150 was well designed with very few drawbacks. I liked having the ability to do dictionary look-ups while reading and miss that with my 700 but otherwise, I am very happy with the Sony. With help from ConvertLIT and Calibre, I was able to convert all my old ebooks (over 200) from lit to lrf and load them onto the Sony with no problems. The battery charging gave me a headache (I kept forgeting not to close my laptop ) until I ordered the AC adapter. Bottom line: Any technology that makes it possible for me to carry a plethora of reading material wherever I go is a very good thing!!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:12 AM   #22
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunt1 View Post
We already know that the 500 and 505 can be hacked to run Java
Did I miss this?
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:30 AM   #23
reggaejames
reggaejames began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 700
Glad I Got It

I have had my 700 for the past month and love it! I am really happy with the purchase. If you enjoy reading, electronic book readers are a must-have item.
reggaejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 03:53 AM   #24
Tomcatt
Tomcatt began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
I got mine a week ago and I love this thing. I used to have the old eBookman EB911 (yeah, funny model number) and it died a horrible death. For years, I was looking for a replacement and thought my PEO could do it. Sony Clie ux50.

It locked up on me only once. Can't wait to see what kind of hacks are coming for it.

What's up with the software that came with this thing? OMG. It's bad enough that I have to run it in XP and if it doesn't crash on me.

Glad to see that calibre works for linux.
Tomcatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:41 AM   #25
hieubg
hieubg began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-700
I got my reader for almost a month and i really happy with it. It pretty good handle pdf files.
hieubg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:45 AM   #26
Kurashi
Kurashi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
The poll is inverted from the title of the post, so if you see the post title and rush to click Yes (I like my 700), you would actually be saying Yes (I regret my purchase).

Sounds nit-picky, but it's bad form in my opinion if you're aiming for some form of accurate result.
Kurashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:59 PM   #27
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurashi View Post
The poll is inverted from the title of the post, so if you see the post title and rush to click Yes (I like my 700), you would actually be saying Yes (I regret my purchase).

Sounds nit-picky, but it's bad form in my opinion if you're aiming for some form of accurate result.
I didnt even notice that, but i assume people have Read it and saw, No, I love it, and Yes Ive returned it. this is a forum for people who Read books. Lets give them the benifit of the dobut.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:13 AM   #28
Rules.r
Rules.r began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700?
Does the 700 support DRM free content? I have a fairly massive library of .lit and .pdf books and I do not want to lose them...
Rules.r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:19 AM   #29
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
You can use Calibre to convert drm free lit files into the lrf format excepted by your Sony. Calibre is supposed to recognize your reader, but that hasn't happened for me (I really haven't taken the time to look into why) so I just import the converted lrf files into the Ebook Library. I don't have any pdf files, but the Sony documentation says that you can download Adobe for use on your device. If you go to the Sony reader website, the user's guide explains how to do it.

Good Luck!
Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:38 AM   #30
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules.r View Post
Does the 700 support DRM free content? I have a fairly massive library of .lit and .pdf books and I do not want to lose them...
the 700 supports any non-drm content as long as you're willing to convert the format if necessary. this is trivial to do, using calibre for instance. i use calibre to convert almost any format to epub and it works quite well. you can also hand-make your own epub books, if you like that.

non-drm pdf books work really well on the 700 without conversion thanks to its much faster processor and excellent zoom function ; if they are text pdfs, they can be "reflowed" to increase the font size if necessary, which will lose the page layout, or you can enlarge the page with the zoom feature just like an image, which preserves the layout.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote