Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ShuBook upgrading vs. ShuBook SE? Avoid this mistake!

Faced with a decision between an in-app purchase to upgrade the free ShuBook (i.e. adding Package A) vs. buying ShuBook SE, I made a big mistake!

ShuBook has a notice about upgrading that explains well what can happen with in-app purchases and having to restore prior purchases, including on different devices. It explains that this can be a two-step process and that sometimes the Package A upgrade will have to be restored.

Reading that, and not wanting to go through something so convoluted in the future, I decided to buy ShuBook SE instead. A BIG MISTAKE!

1) Unlike ShuBook, which has never crashed, ShuBook SE crashed multiple times. (It now seems stable, after several forced quits from the background tab bar and tweaking settings.)

2) ShuBook SE does NOT know what your settings were in ShuBook, so you have to laboriously go through and change each item to get back to where you were. (While this is a nuisance, sometimes this is helpful as you discover settings you had overlooked before-- or tweaked other ones into a better condition.)

3) Your library begins EMPTY! And there is no way of moving your books from ShuBook to ShuBook SE. (Package A, the upgrade, is required to give the free SB export abilities.) I hope I am wrong about this--and that someone has a trick to move my books over to SB SE.

4) What you lose by that is all the books you've been reading-- and all the bookmarks! I repeatedly bookmark passages and old words or unknown words that I want to look up later. (Of course, by leaving the free ShuBook on my device, I have access to them, but I'd like to pare this down to just one ShuBook app on my iPhone and have my library, with bookmarks in it.)

In any event, my advice is to do an in-app upgrade and not go the SE route.

Anyone else gone down this path--or discovered that there are indeed problems with the in-app upgrade?

Anyone know how to export or transfer ShuBook library ebooks over to ShuBook SE (along with bookmarks!)?
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have discovered one advantage to this (I think!).

It gives you two ebook readers, which is helpful if you like switching between open ebook apps rather than switching ebooks.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Cool

I use 2 iPads for that. And on a single iPad, 2 different e-reader apps serve the purpose just as well. The quality of the secondary e-reader app isn't all that important, as it's usually only needed for reference purposes. I currently need to do this with a book that has many end-notes but the publisher was sloppy/amateurish enough to fail to hyperlink them. So, I read the book in Marvin, and the end-notes are open in Stanza. Sometimes, though, it's useful to see both the main text and the end-note at the same time, and for this, I prefer using 2 iPads simultaneously, with the same book open in Marvin on both iPads: main text on iPad 3, end-notes on iPad 1. This is not as crazy or extravagant as it might seem -- in fact, it's pretty standard in modern work environments to have 2 displays connected to your computer.

Another instance where I find this very useful is when I try to read a book in the original language, but need to keep a translated version open for reference/help purposes. Switching back and forth between both books on the same iPad all the time, would be annoying and inefficient. And we probably can never expect the iPad to allow for a split screen, in order to display 2 books at the same time. Here again, 2 iPads are ideal to handle this need.

I'm looking forward to getting a Retina-screen iPad mini, so that it can replace my iPad 1 as my secondary/reference iPad. I prefer reading on a 10-inch tablet, but for consultation/reference purposes, 10 inches seems like overkill -- 7 or 8 inches would be ideal. At the same time, I'm not willing to pay the very high price of $330 for a non-Retina iPad mini, so I have to wait for now.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
robinson
Zealot

Neat approach--and nicely explained!

Your approach reminds me of the wonderfully old-fashioned have the dictionary at hand. It also beats the old hunt for the endnotes in a printed book routine!

Now, it suggests that an ebook app needs to have a quick switch feature built in--to move between the two screens with just a swipe-slide.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson View Post
Your approach reminds me of the wonderfully old-fashioned have the dictionary at hand.
Yes, it's very similar.

Unfortunately, I need to read many books, especially old ones, in photographed PDF editions. I avoid PDFs whenever I can, but sometimes it just can't be done. So I read those photographed PDFs in GoodReader but -- naturally -- looking up words from those texts by tapping them with your finger can't be done. So I'm forced to be "old-fashioned", because there's no other way to look up words in such photographed/scanned PDF files.

So, I could either have a paper dictionary at hand -- or the second iPad. The second iPad seems like the better choice -- especially because dictionary apps "predict" what word you might be looking for. Start typing the word, and suggestions instantly pop up. This saves time, compared to looking up the word in a paper dictionary. A second iPad is also easier to handle than the thick tome of a comprehensive, quality dictionary.

And, using a second iPad seems definitely preferable to me over constantly flipping back and forth between the PDF app (GoodReader) and a dictionary app on the same iPad. Not if the two apps interact -- that would be different. But if there's no interaction and you need to manually type in the word you wish to look up -- then using a second iPad seems more efficient.

Quote:
Now, it suggests that an ebook app needs to have a quick switch feature built in--to move between the two screens with just a swipe-slide.
Well, Apple already gives us something similar: you can use 4 fingers to swipe-slide between two open (e-reader) apps on an iPad. This is very nice. (Although it's not nice at all that this gesture does not work on the iPhone, never mind the smaller screen.)

No matter how quickly an app or an OS allows you to switch between two views -- sometimes it's just more efficient to view both passages at the same time. I'm afraid we'll never get to see this on modern-day tablets. The general assumption is that a 10-inch screen as such (let alone a 7-inch screen) is so small that a split-screen view for e-books is not necessary. The assumption is likely wrong... but we're probably not going to persuade software developers to think otherwise.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
robinson
Zealot

Thoughtful reply! I agree with you-- a resizable split screen view, with an active dictionary could be quite good, especially for older texts.

I keep waiting for an iPhone app, especially an ebook reading app, that would provide the 1913 Webster's Unabridged (public domain). Had that on the Palm and it was great for learning vintage word definitions!
Old 03-31-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Thoughtful reply! I agree with you-- a resizable split screen view, with an active dictionary could be quite good, especially for older texts.

I keep waiting for an iPhone app, especially an ebook reading app, that would provide the 1913 Webster's Unabridged (public domain). Had that on the Palm and it was great for learning vintage word definitions!
You could download from Gutenberg, couldnt you? There is also http://machaut.uchicago.edu/websters where you can use a web browser to access definitions.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
robinson
Zealot

kyteflyer, key is having it accessible from within the ebook reader, especially when you tap on a word or look up its meaning. One of the leading Palm ebook readers (Palm Fiction, perhaps), let you download and use additional dictionaries, including the unabridged 1913. Quite spiffy!

Months later, I know, but I appreciate the reply. I'll have to see whether there's a way of rigging something up. I did once try turning that dictionary into an epub file (also hoping to figure out clickable links), but ran into problems. I'm usually reading off line, so a web browser won't work.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
robinson
Zealot

WordBook to the rescue...

A follow up! I have several dictionary apps; one of my favorites is WordBook. it's based upon Princeton's Word Net, semantic network system, but with the addition of etymology for the words.

One of the thing I had forgotten is that, in WB, you can set up web links for external dictionary sources. I created one to The ARTFL Project at the University of Chicago, a wonderfully powerful, searchable set of databases/dictionaries. You can specify Webster's 1913 (and 1828) and then, from within WordBook, a single tap on an always available icon, fetches you the definition from the old classic unabridged! It displays The ARTFL's web page results for the word.

While that doesn't solve my off-line problem/preference, it does make the old unabridged dictionaries readily available through a dictionary app.

For those who might be interested, the web link you'd use in Word Book (or WB XL) is this:

http://machaut.uchicago.edu/?resourc...on&use1828=on]

I see that it doesn't display all the letters of the URL, so here they (just needs the http:// before it; it's all entered on one line).

machaut.uchicago.edu/?resource=Webster%27s&word=@&use1913=on&use1828=on

The elements include:

the university-- uchicago.edu
the resource-- Webster, with 1913 and 1828 on
and the key part
the placeholder, the at sign @, which represents any word that you are searching for in WordBook (word = @)

You only have to enter that URL once in the WordBook or WB XL settings, and then you're all set.

Even more fantastic, the web page from Chicago that appears within WordBook is fully clickable (!!)-- meaning that any word in the old dictionary definition can be tapped and Word Book will look it up in its built-in modern database.

Pretty spiffy!
---------------------

Now, I need to contact the WB folks and see if they'd be game to provide an option for downloading the 1913 dictionary to the i-device, directly accessible, offline from within WordBook!

Last edited by robinson; 06-22-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #10
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I used to have the dictionary.com app on board but now have WordWeb which is fine for my uses. But I dont see how you can access your choice from inside ShubookSE. Or are you using something else now?
Old 06-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #11
robinson
Zealot

Apologize for the misimpression! I do want to figure out a way of getting the 1913 dictionary within an ereader app such as ShuBook, but at least this is a convenient way of looking up old definitions from within one of the leading dictionary apps.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #12
kyteflyer
Wizard

Theres an epub version of it somewhere but its not something you'll be able to access inside a book. It will be separate. As far as I know, the only way to get dictionary access inside books is for the app developer to code one or two or 6 into the app itself. Write to the dev and see if they will do it. They haven't updated for a while and might appreciate the suggestion.