Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
apenney
apenney began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Four dark spots at bottom of paperwhite

Hi guys,

I noticed as soon as I fired up my new kindle that there are four darker regions at the bottom. I think it's visible in this picture:

http://i.imgur.com/RPkKw.jpg

Does anyone else have this? Is this "normal"? I can't stop noticing it.

Edit: Made it a link instead, massively big picture!
apenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by apenney View Post
Hi guys,

I noticed as soon as I fired up my new kindle that there are four darker regions at the bottom. I think it's visible in this picture:

That was a feature that Amazon added to de-emphasize the Location and percentage information so that it does not distract you while reading the e-book. It is a brilliant design decision which shows how carefully Amazon studies our needs in designing its products.

Either that or it is shading caused between the led's because of improper light source diffusion. Of course my first theory is so much more warm and fuzzy.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
apenney
apenney began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
That was a feature that Amazon added to de-emphasize the Location and percentage information so that it does not distract you while reading the e-book. It is a brilliant design decision which shows how carefully Amazon studies our needs in designing its products.

Either that or it is shading caused between the led's because of improper light source diffusion. Of course my first theory is so much more warm and fuzzy.
I read somewhere else that it's the same on all of them, urgh, it's very annoying. I guess I won't replace it if other people have that.
apenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

They all have that. As long as it isn't extending into the main text portion of the screen it should be okay. Most people will learn to ignore it. If it is really bad call CS.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
Haggis
Haggis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by apenney View Post
Hi guys,

After looking at your picture, it looks like you may have the same issue I do, a bright vertical light showing at the bottom left. A separate issue from the bottom led blotches. They are replacing mine. If you have this extra annoying light coming from the bottom left, contact amazon support, I used their chat support and sent them a link to my pic, their supervisor agreed there was an issue with my screen.

Here is what mine looks like: http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...ightbottom.jpg
Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:08 AM   #6
chay
chay began at the beginning.

light on the left

Hi Haggis

I think my paperwhite has the same issue as yours, with light on the left hand side.

It is really distracting but the amazon person I spoke to on the chat (I showed them my image of the problem), said this was "normal" and that she had checked her kindle and the light was the same on hers. So they won't replace it.

See my issue here:

http://www.chayground.com/images/lig...fthandside.jpg

Does that look the same as yours did, and also how easy was it to get them to agree to a replacement because it doesn't seem right to me!

Was the replacement better?

Thanks
chay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:29 AM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
chay, if it hasn't been 30 days, return it via the website returns process, then order a new one. If you just return for exchange, you might not get a new one, you might get another person's return.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
chay

The trouble is I would have to pay return postage, if they don't accept that the light on the left side is a fault. and the help desk person insisted that it looked fine (well, "normal") to her :/

They only cover the postage if it is deemed faulty.

I have no others to compare it to, so I don't know if that light on the left is "normal" and I'm just over sensitive, or if it shouldn't be like that :/
Old 11-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If it doesn't bother you, then keep it.

But can't you return it without speaking to a rep, note it as defective, and not pay return shipping? Are you in the US? In the US you should be able to do that online and not even talk to someone. I have returned defective products in this manner. Maybe it is different for a Kindle?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #10
chay

Hmmm, it does bother me a bit, it's quite distracting.

I'm in the UK, and it seems to say on the amazon.co.uk site that that I have to ship it back myself via the post office, paying for recorded shipping (although they originally sent it to me as second class, unrecorded!) and then IF they agree it is defective then they will refund the product and the postage, if not then they only refund the item.

Will give it another few days to see if I get used to it.

Thanks for advice though.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Ok, sorry, I am not familiar with return procedures in the UK.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #12
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
You can see the LEDs on this youtube video that was shared on Developer's forum. I think it is good to share it here also since it is related with the topic.

Last edited by thomass; 11-05-2012 at 08:56 AM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:50 PM   #13
Haggis
Haggis began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chay View Post
Hi Haggis

I think my paperwhite has the same issue as yours, with light on the left hand side.

It is really distracting but the amazon person I spoke to on the chat (I showed them my image of the problem), said this was "normal" and that she had checked her kindle and the light was the same on hers. So they won't replace it.

See my issue here:

http://www.chayground.com/images/lig...fthandside.jpg

Does that look the same as yours did, and also how easy was it to get them to agree to a replacement because it doesn't seem right to me!

Was the replacement better?

Thanks
Hey there. Yep, my replacement was Way better. You need to pursue this more. You need to Demand a replacement. That's B.S. I wouldn't put up with that, way too distracting to read.
Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:34 AM   #14
chay

Forced the issue and they sent a replacement
Which was WORSE! (Had holes or dust in the light guide which glowed!)
Sent that one back and got a third one.
Third time lucky - it was fine!
Once they realised I wasn't happy they were very good about sorting out replacements. Still a PITA to have to send them back though (was free in the end)

Thanks for your help and advice.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:43 AM   #15
kim1406
Connoisseur
kim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by chay View Post
Forced the issue and they sent a replacement
Which was WORSE! (Had holes or dust in the light guide which glowed!)
Sent that one back and got a third one.
Third time lucky - it was fine!
Once they realised I wasn't happy they were very good about sorting out replacements. Still a PITA to have to send them back though (was free in the end)

Thanks for your help and advice.
Good for you, enjoy the reading now.
kim1406 is offline   Reply With Quote