Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-18-2011, 09:57 AM   #1
nomis66
nomis66 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Custom Metadata

Hi,

At some point (probably ages ago) I set up a couple of categories on the Custom metadata pane, and also created matching columns in the main display page. Each of the custom categories offers a drop-down of posible values. So far, so good....

The problem is, that now I want to add a fifth category to one of the custom metadata dop-downs. I've looked absolutely everywhere and I simply can't find how to do it. I can and a new category, delete an existing category or change the name of an existing value, but I can't seen to add a new value to an existing category.

Any help would be much appreciated.

simon
nomis66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomis66 View Post
Each of the custom categories offers a drop-down of posible values. So far, so good....

The problem is, that now I want to add a fifth category to one of the custom metadata dop-downs. I've looked absolutely everywhere and I simply can't find how to do it.
In Preferences, "Add your own columns", select the custom column, click the "i" icon to the right, add new text option, apply and restart calibre.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
nomis66

When I select my custom column and click the "i" button I'm presented with a pane headed "Edit a custom column".

In that pane I can see:

1. "Lookup name", which already has the column/category name inserted.

2. "Column heading", which already has the column/category name inserted.

3. "Column type", which is greyed out and unavailable.

4. "Show checkmarks" which is an unchecked checkbox.

Any ideas?
Old 10-18-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
3. "Column type", which is greyed out and unavailable.
What does it say in the grayed out part? I suspect it says "Column built from other columns." If so, there will be a template below. What does that say?

(I assumed you had a simple fixed set of permitted text values type of column.)

I also suspect all you need to do is select the button at the bottom of the tag browser that says Manage authors,... and select the Manage User Categories option, but answering the above will make sure.

Last edited by Starson17; 10-18-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
nomis66

In the grey part it says "Text, column shown in tag browser".

When I right-click on my category/column icon in the tag browser, I'm able to select my category in the Category filter drop-down, and I can see my values/subcategories in the right-hand column, but I can't see away of adding a new one.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
In the grey part it says "Text, column shown in tag browser".

When I right-click on my category/column icon in the tag browser, I'm able to select my category in the Category filter drop-down, and I can see my values/subcategories in the right-hand column, but I can't see away of adding a new one.
I'm not sure if you are having a problem with a column or a category, but if all you want to do is revise a category definition, then just right click the name of your User Defined Category in the tag browser and choose "Manage User Categories."

As to your column definition, it looks like that has nothing to do with your categories. (Other than that you may have given it a similar name). You've got a plain text field. You can put any text you want in there. When you said you had a "drop-down list" I thought you were referring to the restricted predefined list of possible values. You weren't. If the "drop-down" list your are referring to appears when you type in the column, it's just matching as you type and offering to let you use previously used text values. However, you are free to put any text you want in there. Once new text is added for a record, that text will be offered later in the "drop-down" list.