Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-15-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
paulpeer
Zealot
paulpeer is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, Sony PRS-505, EPUBreader
Cover pictures after convertion from ePub to Mobi

I've made about 20 ePub books and converted them to Mobi format afterwards. All of the ePubs are made in the same way, have been checked by the ePub Validator, and have been converted to Mobi in the same way.

But when I import them into Mobipocket Reader, half of them has a cover picture and the others haven't. In Calibre's meta screen all the cover pics show normally.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Has anybody an idea where I should look?
paulpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:41 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Do some of them have SVG covers and others, not?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2010, 04:35 AM   #3
paulpeer
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Do some of them have SVG covers and others, not?
No, everyone of them is a JPG.

But yesterday I saw an article that says that Mobipocket covers should be within a precize size range. I'll try to find the details about that.

Does Calibre change the size of the cover picture during convertion?
Old 03-16-2010, 07:47 AM   #4
paulpeer
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpeer View Post
But yesterday I saw an article that says that Mobipocket covers should be within a precize size range. I'll try to find the details about that.

Does Calibre change the size of the cover picture during convertion?
As far as I can see Calibre resizes the cover pictures to about 600 x 800 px, which is OK according to the Mobipocket Development Center: ("The recommended cover size is 600x800 pixels (500 pixels on the smaller side is an absolute minimum)")

So this cannot be the reason for this strange behaviour ...
Old 03-16-2010, 08:26 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hard to say more without looking at one of the epub files in question.
Advert
Old 03-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
paulpeer
Zealot

Quote:
Hard to say more without looking at one of the epub files in question.

Here is one example. I've converted it using the Default Input Profile and the Mobipocket export profile. If I look a the mobi book in Mobipocket Reader, it has no cover picture.
Attached Files
File Type: epub La Asocio - Ziko van Dijk.epub (724.9 KB, 318 views)
File Type: mobi La Asocio - Ziko van Dijk.mobi (350.6 KB, 269 views)
Old 03-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I'm currently travelling, so I dont have the time to look at this. ping me when I return.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #8
paulpeer
Zealot

Quote:
I'm currently travelling, so I dont have the time to look at this. ping me when I return.
Ping!
Old 03-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

A premature ping I'm afraid, scheduled to return third week of April.

Tags
calibre, cover, epub, mobipocket conversion