Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-13-2010, 04:08 PM   #46
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
Yes, I know, but it isn't in their store. That was my point. That link only takes you to that stupid DR800SG page that doesn't tell you anything. I was asking if they found anything SAYING the SG would be ~$400, other than the press release.

So far we only know the SG will be only US, not how much.
There are videos of the IREX reps saying the price will be $399, including the IREX CEO. The only way one can be sure is to buy it for that price and that is not happening at this moment since it's not for sale.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #47
nabrum
nabrum began at the beginning.

Device: none
$700!!!! For something that isn't quite whole yet??? And not available in the US??? I was waiting for the iRex 800, but now I'll just order the new Kindle DXi.

I think with all the other eReaders out there, there are going to have a hard time at that price, Euros or Dollars.
nabrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #48
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
Indeed. It is at least cheaper than the iLiad, although I had expected something more in line with the announced 400$ US price.
This device is not intended for the US market, it's for Europe. The announced price was for the US DR800SG, not the European DR800S.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #49
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
On the irex web shop, you can buy the DR800SG for $601.44.
https://www.irexshop.com/product_inf...products_id=80
That's not the DR800SG, that's the DR800S. They are different things.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #50
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
Since they now have it listed in the shop does this mean the deal with Best Buy is not going to happen? Seems odd they would list it there with a $600 price for US customers when you are supposed to be able to get it from Best Buy for $399 or $449 depending on which price was accurate.

Edit: Just looked at the webpage and although it shows in the US version of the shop it appears to only be available for select European countries. It does not contain any wireless capability. I had originally assumed they were just selling the US version, but without a 3G bundled service. From the looks of it this is a completely different device without the 3G capability.
Yes, this is a different device. This is not the same thing as the US DR800SG. I think people are getting confused.
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #51
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
We are getting confused because THEY are not being clear. I never heard of a different version for Europe until today. After so long with no news I figured they just did away with the 3g complegely and raised the price. It sounds about par for them from what I have read on here. Since they aren't speaking out on anything I have no other knowledge to base my thinking on.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:58 PM   #52
LegoErgoSum
Enthusiast
LegoErgoSum began at the beginning.

Device: PB360
it's basically the same device, the 800S is without 3G and in return the price is nearly doubled. that doesn't sound logical or fair to me!?
LegoErgoSum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:02 PM   #53
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
We are getting confused because THEY are not being clear. I never heard of a different version for Europe until today. After so long with no news I figured they just did away with the 3g complegely and raised the price. It sounds about par for them from what I have read on here. Since they aren't speaking out on anything I have no other knowledge to base my thinking on.
Their press release is pretty clear in stating that the DR800S is for the European market. I'm not even sure you can order it from the US. They do need to do a better job in their online shop in stating that this is a European model. I think the confusion is occuring because their shop automatically converts prices based on currency. It shouldn't even be showing $601.44 for people in the US who visit their site, it should just say 499EUR. That would help.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #54
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoErgoSum View Post
it's basically the same device, the 800S is without 3G and in return the price is nearly doubled. that doesn't sound logical or fair to me!?
I'm assuming that the partnership between the US DR800SG and Barnes and Nobles includes some sort of subsidizing.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #55
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Yes, this is a different device. This is not the same thing as the US DR800SG. I think people are getting confused.
[sarcasm]I wonder why.[/sarcasm]
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:29 PM   #56
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This device is not intended for the US market, it's for Europe. The announced price was for the US DR800SG, not the European DR800S.
One is well aware of the ability of companies to make spurious distinctions in order to raise their bottom line. Thanks for the clarification, though.
The point one was rather making was that the price difference seems somewhat unjustified to one's untrained eye, especially given the competition (that will be) out there (by the time the annotation update is there).
But one stands corrected. One should not have implied that the price difference was unreasonable, as it is clearly not one's place to suggest such a thing.
One does not have freedom of speech, after all, nor is one allowed to have feelings about things that are not under one's control.
And one is especially not allowed to vent frustrations on user experience forums, because then Shaggy will come swooping down to correct one on some point one recognized quite ably, but deemed wholly irrelevant to the point one was trying to make.

PS. While I'm currently feeling annoyed for entirely different reasons, I'm a bit tired of your lecturing everyone on how we shouldn't think we have the right to expect anything from anyone, especially iRex.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #57
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
But one stands corrected. One should not have implied that the price difference was unreasonable, as it is clearly not one's place to suggest such a thing.
One does not have freedom of speech, after all, nor is one allowed to have feelings about things that are not under one's control.
And one is especially not allowed to vent frustrations on user experience forums, because then Shaggy will come swooping down to correct one on some point one recognized quite ably, but deemed wholly irrelevant to the point one was trying to make.

PS. While I'm currently feeling annoyed for entirely different reasons, I'm a bit tired of your lecturing everyone on how we shouldn't think we have the right to expect anything from anyone, especially iRex.
What lecture? I never said anything of the kind. All I was pointing out is that this is a different product for a different market.

As for why the higher price, who knows? One possibility is that the partnership they have in the US with Barnes and Nobles includes some sort of subsidizing. Or it could be that they just decided on a different price for the European market.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:56 PM   #58
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
Quote:
I'm assuming that the partnership between the US DR800SG and Barnes and Nobles includes some sort of subsidizing.
I agree and I also think that the real reason for the DR800SG delay in the US was not a manufacturing shortage with the screens (made by PVI), but some serious problem that arose with the subsidizing agreement between Irex and Barnes and Nobles.
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:04 PM   #59
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by olis View Post
I agree and I also think that the real reason for the DR800SG delay in the US was not a manufacturing shortage with the screens (made by PVI), but some serious problem that arose with the subsidizing agreement between Irex and Barnes and Nobles.
Yeah, that's a good possibility too. I also saw that Adobe released an update to their ADE SDK that talked about Barnes and Nobles ebookstore features in the release notes. I'm wondering if that screwed up the DR800 firmware development? Maybe they had to go back and fix some things with the new PDF/ePub implementation.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #60
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."

So now we go from dr800sg "imminent" announcement in October to a sudden announcement of a different model for a different market at an entirely different price point, which is not at all competitive, and we're not supposed to wonder what is going on with this PR disaster.

Tags
dr800, dr800s, dr880sg, epub, ereader, irex