Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 11-13-2005, 07:52 AM   #1
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
E-book reading on the iPod

The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) has an article on using the new 5th generation iPod as an e-book reader using the iPod's built-in Notes feature. The article points out that the size limit of text-only Notes has increased from 4k to 8k, and Apple offers a convenient Clipboard-to-Note AppleScript to Mac OS X users that copies text from the clipboard to the Notes folder on the iPod. Here's another convenient feature for e-book reading: By pressing the "Menu" key while reading a long note, the iPod will return to that point the next time you open that note.

With the new iPod's larger 2.5" color screen and the Note feature for reading text, is the iPod turning into a viable e-book reading platform?

Read the full article here
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:59 AM   #2
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
I'd say this is nice to impress friends, but not really usable. At least not unless your eyes are sharp enough to cut bread.

Which begs the question... what is your minimum screen size/screen resolution for reading e-books? Mine is 320x320 with at least 3".
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2005, 12:25 PM   #3
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
I just weighed in over at the site. What a terrible idea! When will this nonsense of cramming multiple functions onto ill-suited devices stop? The screen size issue is serious enough, but consider navigation: how are you going to use a wheel to go from page to page? Just try it with one hand, and see how far you get, not to mention a recent posting somewhere that states that circular motion with one hand is unnatural and harmful. Enough! Philippe Radley
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #4
peppermint_tea
peppermint_tea began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 700
Yuck. I can't imagine reading a book on an iPod. I used to have a sidekick that I tried to read books on. It was awful! I couldn't read more than a few "screens" at a time.

I do LOVE reading books on the iPhone tho. Stanza and eReader are my favorite apps. I don't think anything smaller than that would be usable.
peppermint_tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
lisgielen
lisgielen began at the beginning.

Device: nokia 6760slide, irex iliad, (nokia 3250)
I started e-reading on my Nokia, using Mobipocket. Still do at night, because my Nokia allows me to read in the dark. My Irex isn`t suitable for bed-reading without waking my partner :-) Suppose it works as well on Ipod and Iphone...
lisgielen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2009, 04:26 PM   #6
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Too small for a suitable ebook reader. In fact, my eyes are pretty good and I still won't go below 4.3" screen size. My ideal is 7.0" due to also reading a lot of comics too.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:44 AM   #7
lisgielen
lisgielen began at the beginning.

Device: nokia 6760slide, irex iliad, (nokia 3250)
Comics

Where do you find these comics? Are they for free? And useable on iRex as wel? (Mobipocket format, e.g.)
lisgielen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:54 AM   #8
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Iphone touch is nice for me if we talk about novels, but no comics,
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #9
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisgielen View Post
Where do you find these comics? Are they for free? And useable on iRex as wel? (Mobipocket format, e.g.)
Comics often come in CBR or CBZ comic library format (which is really just RAR or ZIP). You can scan your own comics to JPGs and then zip or rar them up and change the file extension manually. Also, many comic book companies now offer e-comics that you can purchase and download as well. There are also many non-licensed manga and anime comics out there that are perfectly legal to read.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #10
HarryO53
Enthusiast
HarryO53 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPod Touch
iPod Touch makes a great reader! Ordered the iPad today. Be interesting to see what Amazon has come up with as a competitor to iBooks. That was announced yesterday!
HarryO53 is offline   Reply With Quote