Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 11-25-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
MobileRead Club Dumas: Count of Monte Cristo Group Read

I originally recommended the Count for the MR book club but as several people pointed out it may be a bit lengthy for some people to finish in a month. There did however seem to be a good bit of interest in reading it so I was thinking that we could have a group read of the book with perhaps a 90 or 120 day window.

This would be in addition to the standard MRBC, not a replacement. And when the Count is finished we could chose another lengthy title that wouldn't be practical for some in the 30 day timeframe.

-MJ

Again, this isn't to subplant the main read... I'm personally looking forward to reading HotB this month.
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
I originally recommended the Count for the MR book club but as several people pointed out it may be a bit lengthy for some people to finish in a month. There did however seem to be a good bit of interest in reading it so I was thinking that we could have a group read of the book with perhaps a 90 or 120 day window.

This would be in addition to the standard MRBC, not a replacement. And when the Count is finished we could chose another lengthy title that wouldn't be practical for some in the 30 day timeframe.

-MJ

Again, this isn't to subplant the main read... I'm personally looking forward to reading HotB this month.
Cool, how will it work? And...count me in. I have always loved, the Count.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2008, 08:49 PM   #3
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Not a bad idea, especially as even the fastest readers among us have a lot of books on our to read pile

Be nice to read this, as I've only read the abridged versions in the past.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
What a coinsidence.
I started to read CM yesturday.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:24 AM   #5
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
Cool, how will it work?
I'm not a dictator, so I'll leave it for discussion. How would you guys like to do this?

Astra opened the test booklet early...

-MJ
Advert
Old 11-26-2008, 11:27 AM   #6
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I'm about a third of the way through right now, so ,yeah, I'll join in. It's waaaaay more engaging than Passage to India!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:14 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do we need "rules"? Let's just give people a couple of weeks to read it, then start talking about it here!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:32 PM   #8
Katiesue
Enthusiast
Katiesue is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook
Great idea! I would like to participate also. Are we going to use Harry's uploads on the Mobileread site?

We probably don't need this, but I'd like to suggest a "follow-up read".... Les Miserables by Hugo. I read it and thought it absolutely profound, but I'm sure I didn't get everything out of it that I should have.
Katiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:35 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My version will certainly get you the text, but you might wish to buy a commercial version for all the introductory essays, footnotes, and that kind of thing, if you're interesting in getting a more "in-depth" reading.

The version I've uploaded is the "standard" (anonymous) English translation commissioned by the original British publisher, Chapman and Hall, in 1846, and used in the vast majority of unabridged printed English editions (eg the Oxford World Classics edition). One should be aware, however, that it's a little "censored". In the French original, one of the leading characters in the book is a Lesbian, and all material relating to that was omitted from the English edition, since it was unacceptable to a Victorian English readership.

Penguin Classics commissioned a new translation in the 1990s which retains all the material omitted from my version, but it's written in "modern" English which many readers find to be at odds with the age of the story.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:55 PM   #10
mjh215
Guru

I think I'll go with Harry's version... Especially since that is all I can afford. Plus I already have it on my Reader

-MJ
Old 11-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #11
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I'm about a third of the way through right now, so ,yeah, I'll join in. It's waaaaay more engaging than Passage to India!
The dictionary is more interesting than Passage to India.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:33 PM   #12
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Penguin Classics commissioned a new translation in the 1990s which retains all the material omitted from my version, but it's written in "modern" English which many readers find to be at odds with the age of the story.
Is there ebook edition of the modern version?
Old 11-28-2008, 04:54 PM   #13
astra
The Introvert

I believe I have found something.
Robin Buss - Translator
Old 11-28-2008, 05:29 PM   #14
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I believe I have found something.
Robin Buss - Translator
That doesn't seem to be an e-book. Or did I miss something?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:34 PM   #15
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
That doesn't seem to be an e-book. Or did I miss something?
No it is not
But I found what I wanted i.e. Translator's name