Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-20-2008, 06:14 PM   #16
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshanda View Post
Can you download stuff from fictionwise onto Sony???
Yes. The unprotected stuff directly as mentioned, but even a fair bit of the DRM'd content is "protected" with Microsoft's .lit format that can be trivially converted to an unprotected format. I've got about 200 title from fictionwise and honestly have no idea which ones were "protected"... suffice to say that I can read all of them on my 505.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:59 PM   #17
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
Yes. The unprotected stuff directly as mentioned, but even a fair bit of the DRM'd content is "protected" with Microsoft's .lit format that can be trivially converted to an unprotected format. I've got about 200 title from fictionwise and honestly have no idea which ones were "protected"... suffice to say that I can read all of them on my 505.
You can also download any Adobe DRM protected content into your 505 as long as you have applied the firmware update, and authorized your 505 to your AdobeID using Digital Editions.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2008, 02:26 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
You can also download any Adobe DRM protected content into your 505 as long as you have applied the firmware update, and authorized your 505 to your AdobeID using Digital Editions.
"Any" content? I thought that the version of ADE on the Reader had rather severe restrictions on the size of EPUB files (or rather, the size of an individual chapter of such a file) that it would read, and that a fair percentage of such books therefore couldn't be read. Please do correct me if I'm mistaken in this belief!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:15 AM   #19
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
The PRS-505 is an excellent reader. It's ergonomic, stylish and compact. I carry it with me all the time fits snuggly in my back pocket.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:39 AM   #20
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
I'm like your wife. (Confession: I even read while brushing my teeth....) I've got the Sony PRS 500 and it's wonderful, suits my purposes. If I were to buy a reader now though, I'd seriously consider the Cybook.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2008, 03:42 AM   #21
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
I have to add my support for the Sony Reader - I'm a newbie with the dedicated eReaders I used a Palm LifeDrive and paper books before I got hte 505 a few days ago. I'm an avid reader, I read everywhere, and never go anywhere without a book in my purse. As grimo1re said, I also read when brushing teeth etc etc.

The 505 is a nice size, I've easily bought books from Fictionwise either directly in the Sony format or easily converted with Calibre (including secured books), so getting books for the 505 has not been a problem so far. I have 183 books/magazines on there now, scifi and novels. I'm soooooo happy to be able to go anywhere and not risk being without a book to read. The 505 turns on quickly and is easily put in 'pase/suspend' mode with the sliding switch on top, so it's easy to read even with just half a minute to spare lol

I would recommend getting the lighted cover, with built in lightwedge. I used to read in bed wiht the Palm handheld on a low light setting, so I really do dislike reading with the 505 using a separate reading light clipon, and the nightstand lamp disturbs hubby and kid. So the lighted cover is essential IMO for someone that reads everywhere. And I *imagine* that it gives some added protection for the screen?

Pdf-documents: I have put pdf-format manuals on the reader, and they look decent in most cases. Fine for what I use them for, i.e. look somethig up when needed, not for reading from beginning to end. But I have several old pdf-files that I haven't looked at yet or tried to convert, because i think it might be a problem since they are not text but images - I was on sick leave a few months and scanned most of my manuals/handbooks for my hobby but as images not text..... But I gather that is not something your wife will need anyhow, so it's not an issue.
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:04 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Agreed 505 better than iLiad for her needs.

But, I'm not sure why you don't consider the Kindle. It is the easiest to add books to for a non-techie it also adds a dictionary and search which the Sony doesn't have. As a bonuse Amazon keeps all your purchased eBooks online and you can redownload them as needed. Basically you never need to connect your Kindle to a PC at all unless you want to put some non-Amazon sourced books via USB.

Unless your not in the US... You don't have a Location in your profile.

BOb
After what Amazon just pulled, I would not want a Kindle even if it was free. Amazon needs to get out of the eBook market. They are bad for it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:15 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
After what Amazon just pulled, I would not want a Kindle even if it was free. Amazon needs to get out of the eBook market. They are bad for it.
I beg your pardon? What has Amazon "just pulled"?
Old 08-22-2008, 08:40 AM   #24
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I beg your pardon? What has Amazon "just pulled"?
The exclusive Terry Goodkind deal, I assume.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:44 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
The exclusive Terry Goodkind deal, I assume.
Exactly. His series is one that lots of people want as eBooks and now the only way to get it is if you buy a Kindle.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:55 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Er, so why is that a reason NOT to buy a Kindle? Surely it's a reason TO buy one, is it not?
Old 08-22-2008, 09:58 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Er, so why is that a reason NOT to buy a Kindle? Surely it's a reason TO buy one, is it not?
It means that if you support the Kindle now and say next year when some of the new eink devices come out and you decide you want to swap, you have supported Amazon and have locked yourself out of content you may want on your new device.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I don't buy an eBook reader to "support" a company. I buy one because it's a product which suits my requirements.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:20 AM   #29
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Harry, I agree with Jon and think it is a good reason to not buy a Kindle. Buying a Kindle sends excatly the wrong message. It says to Amazon that it is OK to control the ebook market.

What I want Amazon to do is open up the book market, not control it. Today it controls how you can buy a book; tomorrow it controls what you can read. Yes, I know that is a long stretch, but not an unrealistic one. I can imagine, for example, once Amazon controls the market, Jeff Bezos refusing to sell his unauthorized biography on Amazon because it is unflattering and thus killing its publication.

Just this week one book publisher dropped publication of a new novel that was nearly at the printer for fear of backlash from fanatics because the book was a historical fiction account of Mohammed's wife. In this instance other publishers are picking it up, but if Amazon were the only outlet and decided it didn't want the headache or didn't like the author and so refused it a place on Amazon, we would have the sole source dictating what we can read.

Variety in device and in ebook availability is very important in a free society, so I think not buying a Kindle is appropriate.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:25 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Companies sign "exclusive" distribution deals all the time - it's good business sense. How often do newspapers buy the "exclusive" rights to stories?

As long as this is only for a limited period, I have no problem with it.