Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
mcortez
mcortez began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Emphasis Line and Emphasis Dot

I'm working on a little pet project of mine, that involves decoding/encoding LRS files -- and I was curious -- what exactly are Emphasis Lines and Emphasis Dots, and how would I go about making an LRF file with say, html2lrf that includes/displays examples of them?

I see that Emphasis Line can be of type None, Solid, Dotted, Dashed or Doubled...

Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks!
mcortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm guessing here, but emphasis line might be underlining? No guesses for emphasis dot.

That's really cryptic. I assume this is how they refer to these things inside the LRS formatting?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
mcortez

I'm getting this naming convention from the BBeBXylog (LRS) specification:

http://www.y-adagio.com/public/commi...0_1017e_DC.pdf

As well as from some previous work that had been done with reverse engineering the LRF format:

http://www.sven.de/librie/Librie/LrfTag

kovidgoyal also uses the these terms in his code -- but for some reason, Python and I just don't grok each other and his libprs code base hasn't revealed to me what exactly they are and how to produce them.

If my pet project works out, I'll have a set of tools for going from LRF to LRS (XML) and LRS to LRF. The work I'm doing is in C#, and currently successfully decompiles very simple documents from LRF to LRS. This will let me then use XSLT to transform various XML stuff that I have to LRS, then to LRF, with a very high degree of control on the final formatting.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:19 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Do you have the LRS spec? It's somewhat more verbose than lrf2lrs
Those two are mostly Japanese (East Asian) typography. As italic or bold do not work too well in Japanese, the emphasis is done by either an underline or round dots placed under each character (or on the left in vertical writing) .
I beleive PRS renders Emphasis Line as underline in non-Japanese texts.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:39 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah EmpLine is underline/overline can be controlled in html2lrf with the text-underline CSS property. See https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/dow.../html-demo.zip for a demo of it. Incidentally there are implementations of both lrf2lrs and lrs2lrf in libprs500 svn
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2008, 06:09 PM   #6
mcortez

I did notice that you had some LRS/LRF things in your SVN. What exactly is the state of those tools? When I'd previously asked about LRS compiling to LRF, you indicated there weren't any tools that currently worked:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16663

Or was the problem more specifically with the LRS output from html2lrf using the --lrs option???

I'm also working on this in C# because for some reason, I just never seem to be able to grok Python. I'm able to handle C/C++, Java, Perl, PHP, C#, CFML and a half dozen other languages, but most projects written in Python just give me heartburn and I have a hard time following through other people's Python code... <shrug>
Old 01-19-2008, 07:19 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah lrs2lrf is a new addition thanks to Roger Critchlow
Feel free to write your own tools, though LRS to LRF is almost done, there are a couple of bugs left to iron out, is all.

LRF to LRS is done, and has been stable for a while.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 01-19-2008 at 07:22 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote