Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Sony or Nook Touch
Sony 73 60.83%
Nook Touch 47 39.17%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I would go with the nook touch

better UI
faster responsivness
better ebookstore platform (sony vs barnes and noble
better price
wireless downloading (with the exception of the 950)
better feel to it.
Some people are having trouble with the touch being unresponsive. I've not seen that on my 650 nor read about it on any of the x50 units.

If this is true, I'm hoping it's a firmware issue that can be fixed.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #32
jedipencil
Enthusiast
jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony
I just got my new Sony last weekend and have been playing with it... My first ereader! I almost bought the Nook - a very attractive price - but the Sony just looked a bit more solid. I couldn't tell you yet which is really better but I love my Sony at the moment!
jedipencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #33
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedipencil View Post
I just got my new Sony last weekend and have been playing with it... My first ereader! I almost bought the Nook - a very attractive price - but the Sony just looked a bit more solid. I couldn't tell you yet which is really better but I love my Sony at the moment!
Welcome!! You will love it to bits. We all love our reader quite fiercly as you will see, when you hang around here

Which one did you buy?Which one did you buy?
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #34
jedipencil
Enthusiast
jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got the pocket Edition, Touch, 350. Kept saying for years "nawww... I'm not gonna get one of those...", and now I did. It took a day to get used to it, but golly I wuvs it already! How wonderful to be able to tuck it into any purse, and not drag along 5 or 6 books...! I even got two books to try it out: Darkness Under The Sun (Dean Koontz) and Immortal Protector (Ursula Bauer).

Researching the readers is what brought me here... these forums helped me narrow my choices down. The fact that they allow for more flexible reading of formats and library borrowing really did it. The solidness of the Sony won me over when I held each in my hands at the store.

Great place here, by the way!
Old 06-07-2011, 03:46 PM   #35
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Check out the Mobileread Library and the Singapore Library, which is for free!!! There is also a Deals & Freebies section where you can get lots of free books. There is a Georgette Heyer in the SonyStore today

I have 500 books on mine right now

It took me only half an hour and I was hooked for life and I never imagined to like them. Thought I am far too book-loving to like reading on a piece of hardware. Turns out, I hadn't the faintest idea what I like and what not.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #36
jedipencil
Enthusiast

I will definitely go see those Libraries - thank you for mentioning them!

500 books??

I love real paper books and will still buy them, but it gets too expensive, and saving a few trees is not a bad thing...

(the new Preston and Child due out soon won't be available as an ebook, I don't think, or maybe only iPad)
Old 06-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #37
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Some people are having trouble with the touch being unresponsive. I've not seen that on my 650 nor read about it on any of the x50 units.

If this is true, I'm hoping it's a firmware issue that can be fixed.
I just read that thread, to me it sounds more like a batch of lemons as opposed to a widespread issue.

If I was one of them I would exchange it for a new one.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #38
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
Can someone answer whether or not you can take notes on the nook touch? I read an article online as well as some posts here which say that you can't. Yet, I've read some posts here which say that you can. Note taking is a really important feature for me. That alone would make me favor Sony.
What was demonstrated to me at the store is that you can take notes using a keyboard on the Nook Touch. With the Sony you can take notes with a keyboard & with the stylus. Though I have to admit I think they keyboard notes look neater than my stylus notes.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #39
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
I got the pocket Edition, Touch, 350. Kept saying for years "nawww... I'm not gonna get one of those...", and now I did. It took a day to get used to it, but golly I wuvs it already! How wonderful to be able to tuck it into any purse, and not drag along 5 or 6 books...! I even got two books to try it out: Darkness Under The Sun (Dean Koontz) and Immortal Protector (Ursula Bauer).

Researching the readers is what brought me here... these forums helped me narrow my choices down. The fact that they allow for more flexible reading of formats and library borrowing really did it. The solidness of the Sony won me over when I held each in my hands at the store.

Great place here, by the way!
Welcome ! I love my Sony350 too. I have not had a single regret getting one....in fact I now have 2 350s What can I say the price was right on the silver & when the pink one came up at the same price I had to have it.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #40
jridley
Enthusiast
jridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with others

Device: Nook Touch
I just bought the Nook Touch. It was between that and the Kobo Touch. I've had a Sony 505 for several years. I did look at the Sony but the Nook had everything I wanted plus slightly faster page turns, and the Nook is a dream to hold in your hand. If there's an uncomfortable way to hold the Nook Touch, I haven't found it yet.

The Sony does have more features, but I don't want any of them.

True that the Nook does only give 235 megs or so to load your own books, but I don't think I've ever loaded that many books on a reader anyway. I only generally keep 30 or 40 books on at most at once.

FWIW, I side-load everything, even if I buy it from the B&N Nook store, because I have a deep-seated loathing for DRM. I will probably never turn the radio on on the Nook now that it's set up. I have absolutely zero interest in any of the "social" features. I'm hardly ever in any location that has WiFi available anyway except my house.

I came very close to buying the Kobo instead, and it appears to me that if PDF reading is important to you, the Kobo may be the better choice. I really hardly care at all about PDFs so for me it came down to form factor, and I absolutely love the feel of the Nook in my hand.

FWIW, I have gotten so used to the ereader with the Sony 505 that I really preferred it over paper, because it was so much easier to handle. The Nook Touch is easily twice as nice, and now I simply won't buy paper at all, except for things like large color photograph coffee table books and the like.

Last edited by jridley; 06-07-2011 at 05:11 PM.
jridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #41
jridley
Enthusiast
jridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with others

Device: Nook Touch
Quote:
Having just switch from the Sony 505 to the Nook Touch, I actually feel less scared about breaking the Nook Touch than I was with the Sony. It's probably because it's so light. The build quality on the Nook just seems very rugged. Time will tell though.

BTW, my estimation of the battery life agrees with B&Ns; about 35 hours of on time. I read about 9 hours with it over the weekend and that took it to 74% charge. That's in keeping with their 30 hours of usage per charge number.
jridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:21 PM   #42
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
OK, I voted for the Sony, but in the final analysis you have to determine for yourself which features you do or don't want. Me, I don't want wireless capabilities at all. I have lots of reasons for that, so any reader with 3G or wifi just doesn't do it for me.

I love my Sony PRS600 and am looking to get a 350 when I'm in the States next week if the stock holds out at BestBuy. The Nook is of no interest to me here outside the US due to geographic restrictions (among other reasons).

A chacun son gout. (That's French for "each to his own tastes.")
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:27 PM   #43
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
I voted Nook. I like the speed of the device. I like the tap to turn the page. I do not like being able to load all of my books but was able to fit 350 books onto my Nook.
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #44
encapuchado
Banned
encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Sony Touch (650)
Sony. The big difference for me is it has portrait mode and better (not perfect though) support for PDF.
encapuchado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:43 AM   #45
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jridley View Post
True that the Nook does only give 235 megs or so to load your own books, but I don't think I've ever loaded that many books on a reader anyway. I only generally keep 30 or 40 books on at most at once.
That alone would stop me from buying the Nook. I create my own PDF's (don't like any implementation of an epub reader so far), and those tend to become somewhat larger than a pdf (for example, the book I'm now reading is 1.5Mb in Epub and 4.7Mb in PDF). I'm also one that loves to keep all her books on her reader as I never know what my fance wants me to read at any time. And all those PDF's amount to about 400Mb so far (and the collection is growing...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote